Bought a 1979 Scamp....now how to look after it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Bought a 1979 Scamp....now how to look after it?

Hi all! I just bought a 1979 13' Scamp, owned in Arizona by one owner the entire time. It's it great shape as far as water/rot!

However, what should I really plan on doing/looking at in depth now that it's in my driveway? Coming from a canned ham, I'm not even sure where to start....thoughts? What usually breaks down? What generally needs replaced?
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Jennifer,

Some suggestions to get you started:

If PO never did it, you almost certainly will need a new axle.
Check condition of the tires
Replace the water line and sanitize the water tank
Check operation of the stove
Check that the refrigerator door closes fully all around
Operate refrigerator on LP/12v/120v settings to see if they all work
Check operation of Porta-Potti and for any leaks, etc.
Turn on furnace if it has one
Turn water from hose on front, side and back window seals, and exit vent to check for any leaks

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Jennifer,

Some suggestions to get you started:

If PO never did it, you almost certainly will need a new axle.
Check condition of the tires
Replace the water line and sanitize the water tank
Check operation of the stove
Operate refrigerator on LP/12v/120v settings to see if they all work
Check operation of Porta-Potti and for any leaks, etc.
Turn on furnace if it has one
Turn water from hose on front, side and back window seals, and exit vent to check for any leaks

Jim
Awesome!
New axle is on the plans (we want brakes, it's pretty bouncy, and it's never been done). Tires need replaced, too; I trusted them about as much as the 10 miles I drove it home.

Good call on sanitizing everything; do you use just standard bleach in a disinfecting solution? Do you replace the entire water line, intake and drain?

I'll go check it for leaks with the hose when my DH gets home. It just rained here, too, so maybe I'll go peek inside.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

Colorado
Registry
Jennifer,

Once you see the water line you will want to replace it. It doesn't take long for it to look really grungy. It's one of the reasons I take two 1-gallon jugs of water with me for drinking and for making coffee. You don't have to do anything with the drain line.

Yes, a 1/4 cup of just regular bleach in the tank and then fill it and push on the camper so that it sloshes around. Use the pump to get it through the hose and up to the sink. Leave it for a couple of hours. Then rinse the tank and line at lease twice to get rid of the taste.

Jim
Old 08-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Jennifer,

Once you see the water line you will want to replace it. It doesn't take long for it to look really grungy. It's one of the reasons I take two 1-gallon jugs of water with me for drinking and for making coffee. You don't have to do anything with the drain line.

Yes, a 1/4 cup of just regular bleach in the tank and then fill it and push on the camper so that it sloshes around. Use the pump to get it through the hose and up to the sink. Leave it for a couple of hours. Then rinse the tank and line at lease twice to get rid of the taste.

Jim
Good call. We usually cart water for drinking when camping, too!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Congratulations! You will love your little camper, I'm sure!
My policy is to travel as lightly as possible and have it ready to go at all times!
I have my art supplies, books, clothes,linens, food staples, pots, pans, small tv with dvds, extra laptop, etc all in my camper ready to roll so all I grab is some fresh water, my fresh produce, proteins, and I am gone! It typically takes me 20 minutes to be out the door.
As soon as I come home, I wash my clothes, linens, clean up whatever I didn't do at the campground before leaving and get it ready to go again.
All this preparation makes for great spontaneous fun, the whole point of buying a camper like this, right? I wanted to be able to get out if my afternoon became free or a particularly beautiful day called me to be out with my easel. These campers make it so fun and easy to go visit friends as you really don't impose and can find campgrounds pretty easily or in their driveway.
If I were to say my priorities- my art supplies for my plein air painting, a few dvds and books in case of rain, music and movies on a small extra laptop, a portable battery for electronics (solar is great) 2 plastic adirondack chairs - yes, they fit inside, and my cast iron cookery. Cooking with my Dutch ovens is such a delight and so pleasant particularly in the spring and fall, it just adds to the overall experience.
I'll be interested to hear how you like your camper. I love my 1973 Lovebug and my 1972 Eriba Puck. I can't imagine being without them.
Congratulations!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Jennifer,

It just occurred to me regarding the drain. If you plan to use national parks, private campgrounds, etc, you will need to capture the gray water from the sink. You can do that by running a hose into a jug. It has been done different ways by others. Just do a search for the topic.

Jim
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
About the drain.

More and more parks (National, state and local) are requiring closed circuit grey water capture systems. This means that you have to have a hose that attaches with a fitting not only to the RV but attaches as well as to the drain tank.

This is now required primarily to prevent drain containers from becoming water sources for critters, big and small, as well as to reduce the chance of spills.

In short, the hose into a bucket or a jug is no longer acceptable in many venues. Plan accordingly and be sure.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

Colorado
Registry
I definitely want to figure out grey water...we've been using a dish tub inside our old canned ham sink, and either strain/scattering or dumping in the approved dishwashing sinks created for tenters...and I want something a bit easier. I'll poke around and see what everyone else is doing/make sure it is in line. We live and camp mostly in bear country...

Gigi, this is our second camper, a step over from an old canned ham we just sold. I just love the pick up and go! I haven't ever tried dutch oven cooking...I keep seeing people raving about it. One of these days I'm going to have to try it!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We use a Reliance Hydroller 8 gallon container for our gray water. It has a fold-down handle and the top has provision to screw in a standard brass fitting for connecting a drain hose. It can be used upright or on it's side. They are Made in Canada but are readily available in the U.S. - Google for best price.
Here's a link: https://jet.com/product/3dbd8bfb56c5...FQqsaQodzBYBhQ

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looks like a sweet tote Bob. The ad is geared towards fresh water.....hope you have yours marked "grey only"
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

Colorado
Registry
That does look like a great tote at a good price! Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A picture!

We pictures.

When looking for leaks and or evidence of past leaks good strong LED flashlight and looking under couches, seats, right next to door, inside fridge vent. All around the edges. Water that gets inside will generally collect along edge where floor and wall meet. Look at the wood lip attached to the wall that the seats and couch/bunk screw into. They tend to get damaged by any window leaks as the water can tend to get trapped on that wood.

From underneath inspect floor and frame. For the floor pay special attention around the edges or where there are holes that would allow water to drain from a leak inside.

There are some diagrams around of places frames are most likely to stress crack the welds or tubing with age. You want to make sure frame is solid and true before taking the axle off and replacing it. Generally where the frame side tubing is bent toward the center for the tongue is one place to check.

Check everything that can break, wear out or not "go". Best bet sometimes is to camp in it at your house for a weekend. Or someplace really close to home as a shake down until you get familiar with everything and find out the stuff you never notice until you are using it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #14

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
A picture!

We pictures.

When looking for leaks and or evidence of past leaks good strong LED flashlight and looking under couches, seats, right next to door, inside fridge vent. All around the edges. Water that gets inside will generally collect along edge where floor and wall meet. Look at the wood lip attached to the wall that the seats and couch/bunk screw into. They tend to get damaged by any window leaks as the water can tend to get trapped on that wood.

From underneath inspect floor and frame. For the floor pay special attention around the edges or where there are holes that would allow water to drain from a leak inside.

There are some diagrams around of places frames are most likely to stress crack the welds or tubing with age. You want to make sure frame is solid and true before taking the axle off and replacing it. Generally where the frame side tubing is bent toward the center for the tongue is one place to check.

Check everything that can break, wear out or not "go". Best bet sometimes is to camp in it at your house for a weekend. Or someplace really close to home as a shake down until you get familiar with everything and find out the stuff you never notice until you are using it.

Great list; I'll go poke at it some more during naptime today. Torrential rain last night, so I may see some things. (Hoping not!)

Ham and Egg

(Ham was sold yesterday)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #15

Colorado
Registry
Jennifer,

You may also want to check all of the LP line fittings for leaks either with the soap and water, or the pre-mixed red bottle methods.

I can't tell from your photo if it has the new 2-stage type of LP gas regulator. You may want to upgrade to that also as well as the new hand-screw type of regulator/tank fitting if it doesn't already have it.

The safety chains look new, but you may want to check the fitting of the trailer hitch when on the TV ball hitch to be sure it is adjusted tight enough so it doesn't pop off when towing.

Jim
Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
what am i missing here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
About the drain.

More and more parks (National, state and local) are requiring closed circuit grey water capture systems. This means that you have to have a hose that attaches with a fitting not only to the RV but attaches as well as to the drain tank.

This is now required primarily to prevent drain containers from becoming water sources for critters, big and small, as well as to reduce the chance of spills.

In short, the hose into a bucket or a jug is no longer acceptable in many venues. Plan accordingly and be sure.
Just came across this discussion and wondering what i'm missing? Isn't the grey water holding tank supposed to accomplish the capture of grey water. Are there instances where holding tanks are not being used? Is that what this response was about? Please enlighten me or add some additional information regarding this topic.....thanks in advance....ramsey
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #17

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
Just came across this discussion and wondering what i'm missing? Isn't the grey water holding tank supposed to accomplish the capture of grey water. Are there instances where holding tanks are not being used? Is that what this response was about? Please enlighten me or add some additional information regarding this topic.....thanks in advance....ramsey
Older small campers don't in general a grey water tank, they have a direct line from sink drain to outside. This is our second with no inside grey water tank.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #18

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Jennifer,

You may also want to check all of the LP line fittings for leaks either with the soap and water, or the pre-mixed red bottle methods.

I can't tell from your photo if it has the new 2-stage type of LP gas regulator. You may want to upgrade to that also as well as the new hand-screw type of regulator/tank fitting if it doesn't already have it.

The safety chains look new, but you may want to check the fitting of the trailer hitch when on the TV ball hitch to be sure it is adjusted tight enough so it doesn't pop off when towing.

Jim
Thanks for the tips! I'll check all of those things out in the next few days. Safety is huge....great list of things to check on.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
I would add to the previous answer that the sink drain ends in a male (outside threads) hose fitting on the outside of the trailer.

So what is at issue is some parks now require a hose directly attached between that hose fitting and a portable tank fitting. In the past one could just run a short hose into a bucket or jug. No need for the hose to attach to the collection jug.

Considering that the fitting is right by the sink and does look a lot like the city water hookup..... see where I'm going with this? Have to wonder if anyone has ever taken their just purchased old camper out and hooked the drain fitting to city water? That would be impressive I would imagine.

Yeah I know city water is female fitting but you know how guys are, we see mis-matched fittings and will immediately fail to consider "it don't go here" in favor of "Hey I have just the thing to splice the connector I need on".
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp