Bought a 1979 Scamp....now how to look after it? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
Bought a 1979 Scamp....now how to look after it?

Hi all! I just bought a 1979 13' Scamp, owned in Arizona by one owner the entire time. It's it great shape as far as water/rot!

However, what should I really plan on doing/looking at in depth now that it's in my driveway? Coming from a canned ham, I'm not even sure where to start....thoughts? What usually breaks down? What generally needs replaced?
__________________

__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 254
Registry
Jennifer,

Some suggestions to get you started:

If PO never did it, you almost certainly will need a new axle.
Check condition of the tires
Replace the water line and sanitize the water tank
Check operation of the stove
Check that the refrigerator door closes fully all around
Operate refrigerator on LP/12v/120v settings to see if they all work
Check operation of Porta-Potti and for any leaks, etc.
Turn on furnace if it has one
Turn water from hose on front, side and back window seals, and exit vent to check for any leaks

Jim
__________________

__________________
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Jennifer,

Some suggestions to get you started:

If PO never did it, you almost certainly will need a new axle.
Check condition of the tires
Replace the water line and sanitize the water tank
Check operation of the stove
Operate refrigerator on LP/12v/120v settings to see if they all work
Check operation of Porta-Potti and for any leaks, etc.
Turn on furnace if it has one
Turn water from hose on front, side and back window seals, and exit vent to check for any leaks

Jim
Awesome!
New axle is on the plans (we want brakes, it's pretty bouncy, and it's never been done). Tires need replaced, too; I trusted them about as much as the 10 miles I drove it home.

Good call on sanitizing everything; do you use just standard bleach in a disinfecting solution? Do you replace the entire water line, intake and drain?

I'll go check it for leaks with the hose when my DH gets home. It just rained here, too, so maybe I'll go peek inside.
__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 254
Registry
Jennifer,

Once you see the water line you will want to replace it. It doesn't take long for it to look really grungy. It's one of the reasons I take two 1-gallon jugs of water with me for drinking and for making coffee. You don't have to do anything with the drain line.

Yes, a 1/4 cup of just regular bleach in the tank and then fill it and push on the camper so that it sloshes around. Use the pump to get it through the hose and up to the sink. Leave it for a couple of hours. Then rinse the tank and line at lease twice to get rid of the taste.

Jim
__________________
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Jennifer,

Once you see the water line you will want to replace it. It doesn't take long for it to look really grungy. It's one of the reasons I take two 1-gallon jugs of water with me for drinking and for making coffee. You don't have to do anything with the drain line.

Yes, a 1/4 cup of just regular bleach in the tank and then fill it and push on the camper so that it sloshes around. Use the pump to get it through the hose and up to the sink. Leave it for a couple of hours. Then rinse the tank and line at lease twice to get rid of the taste.

Jim
Good call. We usually cart water for drinking when camping, too!
__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gigi's Avatar
 
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Posts: 327
Congratulations! You will love your little camper, I'm sure!
My policy is to travel as lightly as possible and have it ready to go at all times!
I have my art supplies, books, clothes,linens, food staples, pots, pans, small tv with dvds, extra laptop, etc all in my camper ready to roll so all I grab is some fresh water, my fresh produce, proteins, and I am gone! It typically takes me 20 minutes to be out the door.
As soon as I come home, I wash my clothes, linens, clean up whatever I didn't do at the campground before leaving and get it ready to go again.
All this preparation makes for great spontaneous fun, the whole point of buying a camper like this, right? I wanted to be able to get out if my afternoon became free or a particularly beautiful day called me to be out with my easel. These campers make it so fun and easy to go visit friends as you really don't impose and can find campgrounds pretty easily or in their driveway.
If I were to say my priorities- my art supplies for my plein air painting, a few dvds and books in case of rain, music and movies on a small extra laptop, a portable battery for electronics (solar is great) 2 plastic adirondack chairs - yes, they fit inside, and my cast iron cookery. Cooking with my Dutch ovens is such a delight and so pleasant particularly in the spring and fall, it just adds to the overall experience.
I'll be interested to hear how you like your camper. I love my 1973 Lovebug and my 1972 Eriba Puck. I can't imagine being without them.
Congratulations!
__________________
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 254
Registry
Jennifer,

It just occurred to me regarding the drain. If you plan to use national parks, private campgrounds, etc, you will need to capture the gray water from the sink. You can do that by running a hose into a jug. It has been done different ways by others. Just do a search for the topic.

Jim
__________________
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
About the drain.


More and more parks (National, state and local) are requiring closed circuit grey water capture systems. This means that you have to have a hose that attaches with a fitting not only to the RV but attaches as well as to the drain tank.


This is now required primarily to prevent drain containers from becoming water sources for critters, big and small, as well as to reduce the chance of spills.


In short, the hose into a bucket or a jug is no longer acceptable in many venues. Plan accordingly and be sure.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
I definitely want to figure out grey water...we've been using a dish tub inside our old canned ham sink, and either strain/scattering or dumping in the approved dishwashing sinks created for tenters...and I want something a bit easier. I'll poke around and see what everyone else is doing/make sure it is in line. We live and camp mostly in bear country...

Gigi, this is our second camper, a step over from an old canned ham we just sold. I just love the pick up and go! I haven't ever tried dutch oven cooking...I keep seeing people raving about it. One of these days I'm going to have to try it!
__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
We use a Reliance Hydroller 8 gallon container for our gray water. It has a fold-down handle and the top has provision to screw in a standard brass fitting for connecting a drain hose. It can be used upright or on it's side. They are Made in Canada but are readily available in the U.S. - Google for best price.
Here's a link: https://jet.com/product/3dbd8bfb56c5...FQqsaQodzBYBhQ
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,920
Looks like a sweet tote Bob. The ad is geared towards fresh water.....hope you have yours marked "grey only"
__________________
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
That does look like a great tote at a good price! Thanks!
__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,081
A picture!

We pictures.

When looking for leaks and or evidence of past leaks good strong LED flashlight and looking under couches, seats, right next to door, inside fridge vent. All around the edges. Water that gets inside will generally collect along edge where floor and wall meet. Look at the wood lip attached to the wall that the seats and couch/bunk screw into. They tend to get damaged by any window leaks as the water can tend to get trapped on that wood.

From underneath inspect floor and frame. For the floor pay special attention around the edges or where there are holes that would allow water to drain from a leak inside.

There are some diagrams around of places frames are most likely to stress crack the welds or tubing with age. You want to make sure frame is solid and true before taking the axle off and replacing it. Generally where the frame side tubing is bent toward the center for the tongue is one place to check.

Check everything that can break, wear out or not "go". Best bet sometimes is to camp in it at your house for a weekend. Or someplace really close to home as a shake down until you get familiar with everything and find out the stuff you never notice until you are using it.
__________________
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Posts: 284
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
A picture!

We pictures.

When looking for leaks and or evidence of past leaks good strong LED flashlight and looking under couches, seats, right next to door, inside fridge vent. All around the edges. Water that gets inside will generally collect along edge where floor and wall meet. Look at the wood lip attached to the wall that the seats and couch/bunk screw into. They tend to get damaged by any window leaks as the water can tend to get trapped on that wood.

From underneath inspect floor and frame. For the floor pay special attention around the edges or where there are holes that would allow water to drain from a leak inside.

There are some diagrams around of places frames are most likely to stress crack the welds or tubing with age. You want to make sure frame is solid and true before taking the axle off and replacing it. Generally where the frame side tubing is bent toward the center for the tongue is one place to check.

Check everything that can break, wear out or not "go". Best bet sometimes is to camp in it at your house for a weekend. Or someplace really close to home as a shake down until you get familiar with everything and find out the stuff you never notice until you are using it.

Great list; I'll go poke at it some more during naptime today. Torrential rain last night, so I may see some things. (Hoping not!)

Ham and Egg

(Ham was sold yesterday)
__________________

__________________
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I did it, now i need to know what i just bought!? Christin General Chat 33 06-22-2013 08:50 AM
Scamp Before and after photos Flygal Modifications, Alterations and Updates 21 05-04-2009 10:58 PM
Photo of Scamp Sign - Before and After Patrick M. General Chat 6 06-25-2007 08:19 PM
1979 Boler 13ft. Great shape, now listed on Ebay skirner Classified Archives 0 06-19-2006 11:42 AM
After market AC in Scamp Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-13-2003 12:33 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.