"Bounce" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Just wondering which ones to use??? Scented or Unscented??? Do they really repel furry little critters???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I used the ones from the $1 shop-they didn`t work.

I was told use only Bounce-the really smelly ones. When in the store, pick up the box and smell-you can determine which ones have the strongest smell.

I am buying several boxes of them-spreading around the camper and in storage areas and corners and them putting new ones in about January.

Hope this keep the critters away.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I think the 'class is STILL out' regarding IF/how well these sheets work.
I'm assuming (and you know what usually happens when you DO that!!) that ANY brand of fabric laundry softener sheet would work. Its probably the scented ones that work better than the unscented ones. I am currently experimenting with these sheets in the trunk and under the seats in our hot rod which doesn't usually see too much action over the 'poor sledding' months (yes BOTH months, LOL).

On a similar note, mothballs worked REALLY well for us in our old stickie trailer, but it was more the OLDer ones (not made with same ingrediantsany more) that seemed to work best, but the residule odor can be rather RUDE to some sensitive noses!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I didn't think they were used to keep out the furry critters. I was told that they kept out spiders. hmmm, I wonder which critter it is? Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
I didn't think they were used to keep out the furry critters. I was told that they kept out spiders. hmmm, I wonder which critter it is? Robin

Well, for eggsample, this is about week 16 and still no 'signs' of those pesky meeces.
Further, I DID note a rather large cob-web forming on the inside (passenger side) of the Plymouth just yesterday....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I grew up in northern Calif and my italian family always used bay tree leaves and small bay branches to keep the furry ones away. Fresh leaves and branches are best. We also stuffed all trailer entry points with fine steel wool. I still practice both methods successfully (knock on wood).

I just gave up my favorite dryer sheets due to recent news reports of yet more toxic chemicals used in such a basic household product, and I'm tired of paying companies for yet another thing I do not need.

Now, if someone could tell me how to keep the chipmunks out of our F150 engine. Every winter, they pop there heads out of the grill, as if to say "hi neighbor". One year, they made their way into the cab -- that was bad, very bad.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Quote:
I grew up in northern Calif and my italian family always used bay tree leaves and small bay branches to keep the furry ones away. Fresh leaves and branches are best. We also stuffed all trailer entry points with fine steel wool. I still practice both methods successfully (knock on wood).

I just gave up my favorite dryer sheets due to recent news reports of yet more toxic chemicals used in such a basic household product, and I'm tired of paying companies for yet another thing I do not need.

Now, if someone could tell me how to keep the chipmunks out of our F150 engine. Every winter, they pop there heads out of the grill, as if to say "hi neighbor". One year, they made their way into the cab -- that was bad, very bad.
Wish I could help with the chipmunk problem. We have them burrowing under our side walk and porch and making the cement break and collapse. We have trapped a few and taken them out to the country but they breed too fast and we are having trouble keeping up with them.

I am putting Bounce all over our camper and stuffing some in the chipmunk holes also.

Just getting so disgusted with the critters-I sure hate to kill them (chipmunks) but someone told me they can ruin a foundation. Just don`t need that kind of problem.

Any help from anyone is appreciated.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
To repel chipmunks and squirrels, from the University of Rhode Island Landscape/Horticulture program:

In attics and in summer homes or camps deserted for the winter, a liberal sprinkling of naphthalene flakes (from 5-10 lb [2 - 4 kg]) may help to repel squirrels as well as other possible pests from a small room.

Sounds better than:
Note: The use of dried blood or fox or coyote urine has also been effective in repelling these animal pests. Follow directions carefully with the predator urine. Some formulations may need to be reapplied after a rain.

So maybe a nylon stock stuffed with the flakes would repel the creatures from the truck AND from around the foundation?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is what I use.(Irish Spring Bar Soap)

Name:   263f.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  16.8 KB
I have stored a classic car ever winter for the last 20 years and NEVER had a problem with the critters. And I stored my scamp last year and many tent trailers also with NO problems. Just cut it up into small pieces.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
a liberal sprinkling of naphthalene flakes (from 5-10 lb [2 - 4 kg]) may help to repel squirrels as well as other possible pests from a small room.
So maybe a nylon stock stuffed with the flakes would repel the creatures from the truck AND from around the foundation?
I'll give the naphthalene a try! I would use the other option, but collecting the urine sounds too time consuming..

Richard C -- good luck with the pesky cute chipmunks -- I had no idea they could cause that much damage. Guess I will have to rethink letting them burrow under our two 80 year old douglas trees. We use a pest service and they spray & dust our foundation every three to four months (lots of pests would love to take over our house) -- maybe that is why we don't have a problem around our foundation.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
[quote]This is what I use.(Irish Spring Bar Soap)
Attachment 16164

I used an Irish Spring bar in my attached garage and the only result I had was that the voles were eating both ends of the bar ......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I believe in organic solutions; my dog Zack repels chipmunks and squirrels just fine...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2590__Medium_.JPG  
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I believe in organic solutions; my dog Zack repels chipmunks and squirrels just fine...
Hi: Cam...Looks like he'd repel a stray camper as well!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Cam
We had one of those that we called TwoSpeed. He was on or off, there was no in-be-tween.
Alf
we used to keep a sheet of Bounce in the crown of our hat, when back packing, to ward off mosquitoes.
Had a sheet stuck inside a sweater after being in the dryer and it made the closet smell good but had to re- clean the sweater. Don't let the sheets stay in contact with any material. Just put a couple on a shelf.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:

GOOD BOY ZACK!!!!!
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
naphthalene: Dangerious stuff. We lost 2 cats one day when they got it on their coats, they licked it off and it shut down their internal organs and within 12 hours they were dead. That might be the reason that it works to keep the critters out is that it kills them.

It is the number 1 ingreadient in Moth Balls and according to the following site, creates a flamable gas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene

Go to this site to find out what it is:
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, then here are some more to try:
"For years now I have been using whole cloves, not crushed or powder, spread all throughout my 5th wheel camper. This means all around the inside floors, in all storage compartments, drawers, closets, tubs, sinks, even the storage areas for gas tanks and under carriage storage. I have used this method with great results, only one case where one mouse was found in the sink, dead. I do not store my camper in any enclosed storage, always at either a campground, private field, or main driveway with grass and tree’s close by. The lasting smell is much better in the spring time than most of the others I have heard about. When you open the camper in the spring you only have to vacuum up the remaining cloves on the floors, sinks, cabinets, etc"

"I don’t have mice problems but spiders and bees. I found using a dog flea and tick collar cut in strips and put anywhere they can get in works. I replace these every spring and have no problem since using .(5Yrs)"

"We were told to put the Renuzit air fresheners (the one shaped like a cone that you pull up to activate) in every nook and cranny and bin and so far it has worked. course we only picked up one (pregnant) mouse last year parked by a field, and I think a rat in the mountains of Colorado. i caught the mama in a live trap and released her and my cats took care of the 4 adolescents. But the Renuzit alone drove out the rat (or whatever). You can buy copper rodent mesh online and we put it around electrical cord (yes they can), water hose, etc. In fact, if you have an ‘entertainment center’ they can come in through the hole for THAT wiring, too. That is an old wives tale about them leaving for water after the D-Con. They will die in your unit and stink to high heaven. so far Renuzits easiest and best smelling - and so far so good. Will write back if they stop working (must replace when they dry out totally)

PS - we had picked up the mouse before trying the Renuzits. Never picked one up in storage in 5 years, only on a camping trip by the woods. Won’t go without Renuzits again, tho. Ever."

I like the idea of the cloves. Seems like it would leave a pleasant scent vs some of the chemicals available.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote