Brought home a new project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Brought home a new project

Just got home from a very long drive to pick up a new project trailer. It's a 2003 16' scamp. A couple years ago we purchased a 1991 13' scamp that we have been using a lot. It is 90% finished and we just have a few things to wrap up. One thing we realized that we really wanted after using the little 13 footer for so long was a bathroom.

So after watching for a 16 footer we found one that was in desperate need of love. It is going to require an external paint job, so I will probably be looking for tips on that later.

Also, something I didn't realized until I got it home and starting doing a major once over and starting the project list, since I've never been in a 16 with bathroom one of the previous owners decided to "expand" the bathroom. The took out a portion of the front bench and front overhead storage and built in a bathroom expansion.

I don't know if we will keep it this way or try to put it back together the way it came from the factory. I will try to get some photos of it later, but has anyone ever tried to replace a side shower of a 16? What all is involved in this task?
Attached Thumbnails
20150922_174342.jpg   20150922_174356.jpg  

jcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

Illinois
Photos of the modified shower.

A couple from the outside and a couple from the inside.

After some really rough measurements, I don't think one can get a new shower closet into the trailer through the door. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
20150923_182131.jpg   20150923_182151.jpg  

20150923_182313.jpg   20150923_182232.jpg  

Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

Illinois
Well we elected to restore the shower to it's original size. Over the weekend we pulled out the front bench and the front overhead.

We were also able to pull out all of the additional shower pieces that were added and made a happy surprise that the original front wall of the shower was still there. So we have kept that and will find a way to re-attach it to the cabinet.

I will try to get some photos uploaded soon of the first day of tear down.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassady View Post
It is going to require an external paint job, so I will probably be looking for tips on that later.
You move fast!!! A 2003 trailer should not need a paint job to bring back the shine unless someone already did some painting on it? A good electric polisher with a wool bonnet and some 3M Marine Fiberglass compound should be able to bring back the shine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You move fast!!! A 2003 trailer should not need a paint job to bring back the shine unless someone already did some painting on it? A good electric polisher with a wool bonnet and some 3M Marine Fiberglass compound should be able to bring back the shine.
The PO took a rattle can to it. Spray painted it in an attempt to "camo" it. The white section you see in the first set of photos is where they attempted to bring it back to white with more spray paint.

I'm thinking an orbital sander with 200 grit to see what happens, if it doesn't come off then I would repaint.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Looks like they painted it and then bought a new decal? Go figure. There was an abrasive wheel a member used to remove decals without harming the gel coat. Might remove the paint as well. If you do a search there are lots of decal removal threads.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...919j4999621j25

I believe this is the wheel that was used. Good luck, Raz

Amazon.com: AES Industries 4" Smart Eraser Pad for Pinstripe, Decal & Adhesive Removal [Made In USA]: Automotive
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote