Brown water stains on older casita - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Brown water stains on older casita

Hello, have recently purchased a 1999 13' casita and on further inspection have noticed quite a few light brown water spots staining parts of the curved roofline....have tried generally cleaning it with many fiberglass cleaners without any luck....any suggestions on this problem? Thanks

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Steve, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums. I'm betting some will pop in shortly to answer your question.

Pictures... pictures always help to diagnose a problem. Do you have any pictures to share?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum;

I had a similar problem with my trailer and repeated use of Barkeepers Friend removed the rust stains. I found if I wet the stained area and applied Barkeepers and used a scrub brush to make a paste and then just let it sit for an hour it worked well. Some scrubbing is necessary but the chemicals in Barkeepers really cut the rust.

On another note, the staining on my trailer was caused by rusty screw heads on all the roof vents. Replacing and resealing (mostly resealing) the fasteners would have been very time consuming and since I did not have any leaks I just cleaned and painted the screw heads. I used a good primer for rusty metal followed by some good enamel for color match. A year later everything looks good.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
3M Marine Restore & Wax applied with a wool buffer or by hand with a micro cloth will take them off & leave you with a shiny trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks for the quick response guys! Will try these approaches and see how it goes!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

Oregon
Steve, on one of the other fiberglass forums someone mentioned brown stains from trees. The individual soaked a rag in bleach and laid it over the stain. Left it there until the rag dried. When they removed the rag, the stain was gone. Might try that too.

Best of luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Texas
Thanks Donna, thought about using this kind of approach but got paranoid about the bleach hurting the fiberglass.....guess that is an unwarranted fear no?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Actually it's not really unwarranted. In most manuals that come with fiberglass boats it will clearly state not to use abrasive pads, chemicals, acids, cleaning products containing corrosive agents or abrasive cleaners. As you have a trailer that isn't that old comparatively the less harsh products you use on the gelcoat the better if you are wishing to get the coat to shine up on its own without taking the last resort approach of putting floor wax on it that many here have taken. Due to the age of your trailer you really should be able using products designed for use on gelcoat be able to get it nice & shinny again. Yes some of the fiberglass specific products do contain some abrasive compounds but the over the counter ones such as the cleaners & wax ones are on the light side & result it very little gelcoat loss & the theory being you should only need to do a complete cleaning with compound agents a few times over the course of many years if you keep the fiberglass well waxed. I used a light fiberglass compound on my trailer 5 years ago & it's only required a good waxing each year to bring the shine back. Products such as Bar Keepers friend contain other cleaning agents and on the abrasive scale are getting up there.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

Oregon
Bleach won't hurt it Steve. Basically anything you'd use in your sticks 'n bricks home fiberglass shower you can use on your trailer.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #10

Texas
Thanks for letting me know that about the bleach! Once I got on the roof of this thing it looked like no one had cleaned it for 10 years! Will have to use it at some dilution point I am sure...

Tags
casita