Buffing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Name: Russ & Vivian
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Buffing?

What do you suggest I use as a buffing compound for my Scamp, kinda dull, tried to do it by hand with regular rubbing compound from walmart but didn't touch it. I will ned to buy a buffer, one of the threads someone mentioned a product from Lowes.
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Dull Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
What do you suggest I use as a buffing compound for my Scamp, kinda dull, tried to do it by hand with regular rubbing compound from walmart but didn't touch it. I will ned to buy a buffer, one of the threads someone mentioned a product from Lowes.
Go to MyBoatStore.com buy a Poli-Glo kit. I have used this products on several trailers after they look new again.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have had really good results with the 3M Marine products. Depending on how bad it is they have various grades product. The basic consumer product that will take off fairly heavy oxidization using a buffer is called 3M Restore and Wax - I used that on my trailer and it shined up the 16 year old trailer well. A container of it is about $17 for 16 oz but you will have more than enough to do the whole trailer plus some. They have another consumer product that works well on light oxidization called Clean and Wax.

They also have some professional compounds & finishes called Finesse It that can be purchased at most marine supply stores. They work really really well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Use the very finest grit automotive compound (not polish) available and a clean foam pad. Medium and course grit compound will ruin it. Use very light pressure and keep the buffer moving. You won't need to go to the gym and work out after buffing. Gel coat is soft and even with extra fine grit it will burn through real quick if you buff in one spot, high edges, etc. This will knock off the oxidation and make it shine. Finish with a high quality paste wax to seal from oxidation and "gloss" the shine.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you decide to give the 3M products a go they actually recommend that you use a wool pad on the buffer and as Bruce indicates finish it off with a real good paste wax.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Wash it with VIM, rinse well and then 5 coats of " ZEP. WET LOOK FLOOR FINISH".
After the 3rd coat you will see the shine starting.
ZEP wipes on like water. Dip cloth in ZEP, wring out and wipe on. By the time you apply first coat it's ready for next coat.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Ron, what is VIM? new to fiberglass trailers so there are a lot of products and terms I don't understand yet.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Vim is a household bathroom/kitchen cleaner. It has a very mild abrasive that would harm the finish but get the oxidation off.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I 2nd the use of Vim. It's micro abrasive but is advertised as "no scratch" for the bathroom. I hAd great results getting black rub marks from the table of the interior fiberglass benches. Shining a flash light on it there is a bit of dulling but the zep may counter act that.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Russ in a 91 trailer I would not waste my Time,money ,or energy on any buffing compounds. I would go straight to lowes or home depot and get a gallon of zep floor sealer and a gallon of zep high gloss floor finish and you'll never buff again and less you need to practice for the next karate kid movie
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
LOL.......thats my idea of a quick fix, when it warms up I think I'll do just that.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you put any floor polish (ZEP) on your trailer, clean, clean, clean. Rinse, rinse, rinse because anything you see will be UNDER the polish... little hairs, dust, dirt, etc.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #13

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Buffing

Here is my perception about ...buffing. One should know well ab his/her trailer finished paint job before do the buffing. With clear coat and base coat, buffing could only bring back the shine, more exactly re-finish the clear coat from light scratches, dull, dry...Use high quality compound to do the job. Do not forget that high speed will easily burn the clear coat and..touch the base coat-when this happens you're done, beyond repair-To avoid this phenomenon, people usually spray water before buffing...To the..One shot paint coat, be careful with your buffing speed...Just my thought...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote