Burro ceiling - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Posts: 17
I am the new owner of a 81 Burro and I don't understand what the strip of material running up the center of the ceiling is for. Hard to believe it would be some kind of insulation. Does it hide something?
__________________

__________________
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MikeCM's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Posts: 192
The inner shell does not reach to center. The ugly carpet hides the gap in the inner shells and shows the back of the outer hull. I pulled mine off and plan to replace with a very light weight and light color (almost white) car liner carpet. The gap is just about two inches narrower than the carpet itself. You may be able to feel where the edge of the inner hull ends by feeling through the carpet. I have bought the replacement just need to figure how to glue it in place. I saved the original as a template for the replacement.

Good luck,

Mike
__________________

__________________
Former 83 Burro Owner (destroyed in fire)
Looking for a new Fiberglass Project Trailer in New England.
MikeCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Posts: 17
Quote:
The inner shell does not reach to center. The ugly carpet hides the gap in the inner shells and shows the back of the outer hull. I pulled mine off and plan to replace with a very light weight and light color (almost white) car liner carpet. The gap is just about two inches narrower than the carpet itself. You may be able to feel where the edge of the inner hull ends by feeling through the carpet. I have bought the replacement just need to figure how to glue it in place. I saved the original as a template for the replacement.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks a million for the input Mike. It sounds like an odd design!! Was the carpet hard to get off? Friends of mine did something similar to you in that they did a very smooth type of tuck n roll. I was quite surprised at how good it looked although I think I would like something less obvious. Maybe matching color more closely would do the trick.
__________________
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
MikeCM's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Posts: 192
The carpet came of very easily but I'm sure the age of the glue had something to do with it. I suspect that the original shag did offer some level of insulation. I will likely add a layer of reflectix then then new carpet. As far as color I was tempted to go with a stark contrast to the white of the fiberglass. But not knowing how I will decorate over time, I decided to stay neutral.

Mike
__________________
Former 83 Burro Owner (destroyed in fire)
Looking for a new Fiberglass Project Trailer in New England.
MikeCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
Quote:
Thanks a million for the input Mike. It sounds like an odd design!! Was the carpet hard to get off? Friends of mine did something similar to you in that they did a very smooth type of tuck n roll. I was quite surprised at how good it looked although I think I would like something less obvious. Maybe matching color more closely would do the trick.

As soon as I handed the check to the PO I ripped off the carpet from the ceiling and through it away! I can post a pic if you want to see what it looks like with out it.

It pratically fell off of mine it was very easy to pull off, I plan to put car vinyl type upholstry on mine, having it off will allow me to run the wiring for the overhead lighting.

Putting something else in place will allow you to add your own touch to the inside, one guy on here did a great wood strip ceiling it was well....Great! Of course I searched and cant find it so can someone else locate it?

Edit:
I found these pics of it.
Attached Thumbnails
0505080653.jpg   0521081030.jpg  

__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Posts: 17
Quote:
The carpet came of very easily but I'm sure the age of the glue had something to do with it. I suspect that the original shag did offer some level of insulation. I will likely add a layer of reflectix then then new carpet. As far as color I was tempted to go with a stark contrast to the white of the fiberglass. But not knowing how I will decorate over time, I decided to stay neutral.

Mike

I think you are going in the right direction keeping the color neutral. I think if you were to put a contrast color (dark) it would feel like the ceiling was closing in on you. Keeping it a color similar to the white will lift up the ceiling. I will be interested in what you decide on.

I am thinking I will use marine colors because those are pleasing and relaxing to me. It all depends on how expensive the canvas is.

Pat
__________________
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Posts: 17
Quote:
As soon as I handed the check to the PO I ripped off the carpet from the ceiling and through it away! I can post a pic if you want to see what it looks like with out it.

It pratically fell off of mine it was very easy to pull off, I plan to put car vinyl type upholstry on mine, having it off will allow me to run the wiring for the overhead lighting.

Putting something else in place will allow you to add your own touch to the inside, one guy on here did a great wood strip ceiling it was well....Great! Of course I searched and cant find it so can someone else locate it?

Edit:
I found these pics of it.

Wow! Now that looks really nice. I really like the color scheme. Beautiful wood. Living in California I tend to think lighter/brighter colors that look/feel cooler. Our winter is about two weeks long so I am looking to be fooled with cool colors!

And now I have motivation to go out there and pull that stuff off. I would very much like to see what it looks like with out the carpeting. I think you and Mike have about the same idea working with the car vinyl and I'm thinking that is what my friends used. I really like the idea and anything is better then that cheesy carpet!

Thanks for the input.

Pat
__________________
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
Quote:
Wow! Now that looks really nice. I really like the color scheme. Beautiful wood. Living in California I tend to think lighter/brighter colors that look/feel cooler. Our winter is about two weeks long so I am looking to be fooled with cool colors!

And now I have motivation to go out there and pull that stuff off. I would very much like to see what it looks like with out the carpeting. I think you and Mike have about the same idea working with the car vinyl and I'm thinking that is what my friends used. I really like the idea and anything is better then that cheesy carpet!

Thanks for the input.

Pat
At the risk of being attacked, After I pulled it off I thru a bit of it in a fire pit and wow was I glad I pulled it off, as it turned into a liquid drippy mess and put off a black smoke that was horrible smelling. I wouldnt want that catching fire in my Burro.

Do you have any pics to post of your Burro I would love to see your Beast.

Here are the "naked ceiling" pics.
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling.JPG   ceiling_1.JPG  

__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
One more other end
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling2.JPG  
__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1981 Burro and Teardrop (Scadabout 1961)
Posts: 17
Cool

Quote:
At the risk of being attacked, After I pulled it off I thru a bit of it in a fire pit and wow was I glad I pulled it off, as it turned into a liquid drippy mess and put off a black smoke that was horrible smelling. I wouldnt want that catching fire in my Burro.

Do you have any pics to post of your Burro I would love to see your Beast.

Here are the "naked ceiling" pics.

Oh, yeah. Other than my "stuff" being blue it looks exactly the same. No pics yet and I have to learn how to attach to my response. Soon.

Regarding the fabric(?) itself, I feel I have to wear goggles and mask until I get it all cleaned up! I am not surprised it burned strangely
__________________
Patricia LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1990 Burro 17 ft
Posts: 15
My seam doesn't seem as wide as the one in your pics or the wood one. I measured and mine is about 7" wide. Currently it has a tan shag that I can't wait to tear off. No offense to previous owners or anyone else with tan shag, it's just not my style. I was thinking of maybe putting up a padded vinyl piece.

I would love to see if anyone has other ideas for the burro (or other) seam. Here is the pic of my current state of affairs...


Click image for larger version

Name:	09_kitchencouch2.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	22745
__________________
mish p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
Best solution I have seen replacing that lovely carpet strip was in Gina's trailer. The PO had put up fiberglass paneling. It blended right into the look of the ceiling. I'm sure there are pictures of it somewhere here.
__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Scott B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 221
[quote]My seam doesn't seem as wide as the one in your pics or the wood one. I measured and mine is about 7" wide. Currently it has a tan shag that I can't wait to tear off. No offense to previous owners or anyone else with tan shag, it's just not my style. I was thinking of maybe putting up a padded vinyl piece.

I would love to see if anyone has other ideas for the burro (or other) seam. Here is the pic of my current state of affairs...


Attachment 22745


I think the newer Burro's have a narrower gap between the to halves of the inner fiberglass shells. Wish min was that narrow.

I plan on going the padded vinyl route on mine as well.
__________________
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Green Frog's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Posts: 331
Registry
I was trolling the archives for ideas when I came across this old thread. My youngest niece saw the various indoor/outdoor carpet samples I brought home and flat said the deep red was the only way to go. Do any of our current readers have a dark carpet treatment for the seam treatment and want to comment pro or con? I'm thinking in terms of faux wood grain vinyl stick on squares for the floor with a couple of throw rugs of the same material as the ceiling treatment. Whadayathink?

Froggie
__________________

__________________
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ceiling fans, and batteries Peggy Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 25 07-26-2007 07:57 PM
Carpeting On The Wall & Ceiling? Cathy P. General Chat 9 02-18-2007 08:47 PM
ceiling tape on 70's Surfside? eilie Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 07-02-2006 11:01 PM
Boler ceiling vent wanted Dan Simon Classified Archives 1 04-24-2006 11:32 AM
Ceiling vent leak Dan Simon Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 04-13-2006 09:11 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.