burro top outside molding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
I just bought a 13 ft 1983 burro ! Needs lots of work but I thats what what makes it ours. There were some small leaks around windows but nothing some new caulking couldn't fix. I can see the molding that goes along the seam on top is in poor shape. Does anyone know where to find some new molding ? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to improvise.
michael robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
good news.. no, you won't have to improvise!

I am afraid my middle aged brain can not remember the name of the stuff right now.. but it is available at just about any auto upholstery place.

I had to take a chunk of mine into one and they knew what it was right away and had ample selection of the stuff in different sizes, and colors. I redid my 13 with it.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I just bought a 13 ft 1983 burro ! Needs lots of work but I thats what what makes it ours. There were some small leaks around windows but nothing some new caulking couldn't fix. I can see the molding that goes along the seam on top is in poor shape. Does anyone know where to find some new molding ? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to improvise.
Welcome to FiberglassRV Michael we're glad you found us, I see you've been a member just a bit over an hour now

As you've probably discovered, Burro is long out of business, but we have numerous Burro owners here on the forum who will jump in an help with any questions you may have.

For your window leaks, I'll point you to click here: Butyl Tape, Silicone and sealing

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:

I am afraid my middle aged brain can not remember the name of the stuff right now.. but it is available at just about any auto upholstery place.

I had to take a chunk of mine into one and they knew what it was right away and had ample selection of the stuff in different sizes, and colors. I redid my 13 with it.
Thanks for the info !
michael robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Thanks for the info !

JC Whitney Store (Online and catalog) have this seam material in various colors and lengths, too. Our Burro also was in need of it being replaced, but we sold the trailer before we got this done. I believe it is metal pieces (shaped liked staples) covered with a weather-resistant coating. I don't know if you just jam it on, glue it, or sqeeze it to attach it, but others have said it isn't difficult.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It isn't difficult to get it on, but it takes some patience.

I rolled it backwards (U shape with the staple stuff out) and then rolled it on inch by inch, hammering it down along the way.

Then I went back and squeezed it on with wide vise grips.

Once it's on (When new) it doesn't come off easily.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Compact Jr
Welting. It's called "welting".
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The brand name is "Trim-Lok" and is also available by the foot at truck supply stores and truck stops. There is a discussion of the stuff in this thread.

You'll find some useful information under "moldings" in the "Helpful-Links" section of our website.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
Quote:
It isn't difficult to get it on, but it takes some patience.

I rolled it backwards (U shape with the staple stuff out) and then rolled it on inch by inch, hammering it down along the way.

Then I went back and squeezed it on with wide vise grips.

Once it's on (When new) it doesn't come off easily.
Any tips on how to get the old cracked stuff off?
patricia scutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I just pulled it off. It was in pieces anyway. I used a rubber mallet to put on the new.
By the way the new stuff got really dirty pretty fast. Black foo foo from winter.
That awesome cleaner from the dollar store cleaned it right up, spiffy white again.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
sort-of on this topic, i am thinking of grinding off my center seam, & F/G'ing it smooth... the inside is already F/G'ed really well along the seam, so i think if i F/G it quality, it'll be just as strong, & look better... is there something i should know about this seam before i do this...?
BTW, my burro's seam tape is falling off, too... but there are no cracks/leaks in the seam...
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #12

I think it also serves as some sort of slight reinforcement rib for the roof. I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #13

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I must be getting old. I don't know what "F/G'd" stands for.

The year I got my '81 one of the things I did was repace that Trim Lok on the roof seam. Got mine at JC Whitney. It comes in different widths so be sure to get the right one, the one that simply gets pushed into place and grips the seam tight. Easy job. I'd give you the specs but forgot 'em. If you don't find out on this site what size to get take a careful measurement of the seam width and buy what snuggs tightly over that.

My old "Burro Rehab" slide show is still on You Tube, for W.I.W.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #14

Quote:
I must be getting old. I don't know what "F/G'd" stands for.

The year I got my '81 one of the things I did was repace that Trim Lok on the roof seam. Got mine at JC Whitney. It comes in different widths so be sure to get the right one, the one that simply gets pushed into place and grips the seam tight. Easy job. I'd give you the specs but forgot 'em. If you don't find out on this site what size to get take a careful measurement of the seam width and buy what snuggs tightly over that.

My old "Burro Rehab" slide show is still on You Tube, for W.I.W.
F/G'd = FiberGlassed
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #15

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Oboy. Someone get me my walker.

Johnny Walker
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #16

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Burro
our window leaks to it looks like they didnt even put trim on the part of the window that slides they are out of business and I need to find some trim to fix the window it leaks so bad did you find where to get some I am having no luck with finding any
thanks

Quote:

Casey G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro