burro top outside molding - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 10
I just bought a 13 ft 1983 burro ! Needs lots of work but I thats what what makes it ours. There were some small leaks around windows but nothing some new caulking couldn't fix. I can see the molding that goes along the seam on top is in poor shape. Does anyone know where to find some new molding ? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to improvise.
__________________

__________________
michael robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
good news.. no, you won't have to improvise!

I am afraid my middle aged brain can not remember the name of the stuff right now.. but it is available at just about any auto upholstery place.

I had to take a chunk of mine into one and they knew what it was right away and had ample selection of the stuff in different sizes, and colors. I redid my 13 with it.

__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
I just bought a 13 ft 1983 burro ! Needs lots of work but I thats what what makes it ours. There were some small leaks around windows but nothing some new caulking couldn't fix. I can see the molding that goes along the seam on top is in poor shape. Does anyone know where to find some new molding ? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to improvise.
Welcome to FiberglassRV Michael we're glad you found us, I see you've been a member just a bit over an hour now

As you've probably discovered, Burro is long out of business, but we have numerous Burro owners here on the forum who will jump in an help with any questions you may have.

For your window leaks, I'll point you to click here: Butyl Tape, Silicone and sealing


__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Posts: 10
Quote:
good news.. no, you won't have to improvise!

I am afraid my middle aged brain can not remember the name of the stuff right now.. but it is available at just about any auto upholstery place.

I had to take a chunk of mine into one and they knew what it was right away and had ample selection of the stuff in different sizes, and colors. I redid my 13 with it.
Thanks for the info !
__________________
michael robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Thanks for the info !

JC Whitney Store (Online and catalog) have this seam material in various colors and lengths, too. Our Burro also was in need of it being replaced, but we sold the trailer before we got this done. I believe it is metal pieces (shaped liked staples) covered with a weather-resistant coating. I don't know if you just jam it on, glue it, or sqeeze it to attach it, but others have said it isn't difficult.
__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
It isn't difficult to get it on, but it takes some patience.

I rolled it backwards (U shape with the staple stuff out) and then rolled it on inch by inch, hammering it down along the way.

Then I went back and squeezed it on with wide vise grips.

Once it's on (When new) it doesn't come off easily.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Steve Hilby's Avatar
 
Trailer: Compact Jr
Posts: 259
Welting. It's called "welting".
__________________
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
The brand name is "Trim-Lok" and is also available by the foot at truck supply stores and truck stops. There is a discussion of the stuff in this thread.

You'll find some useful information under "moldings" in the "Helpful-Links" section of our website.

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Burro 13 ft
Posts: 6
Quote:
It isn't difficult to get it on, but it takes some patience.

I rolled it backwards (U shape with the staple stuff out) and then rolled it on inch by inch, hammering it down along the way.

Then I went back and squeezed it on with wide vise grips.

Once it's on (When new) it doesn't come off easily.
Any tips on how to get the old cracked stuff off?
__________________
patricia scutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
pjanits's Avatar
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Posts: 881
I just pulled it off. It was in pieces anyway. I used a rubber mallet to put on the new.
By the way the new stuff got really dirty pretty fast. Black foo foo from winter.
That awesome cleaner from the dollar store cleaned it right up, spiffy white again.
__________________
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
Member
 
Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
Posts: 91
sort-of on this topic, i am thinking of grinding off my center seam, & F/G'ing it smooth... the inside is already F/G'ed really well along the seam, so i think if i F/G it quality, it'll be just as strong, & look better... is there something i should know about this seam before i do this...?
BTW, my burro's seam tape is falling off, too... but there are no cracks/leaks in the seam...
--- steven
__________________
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
pjanits's Avatar
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Posts: 881
I think it also serves as some sort of slight reinforcement rib for the roof. I wouldn't mess with it.
__________________
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Myron Leski's Avatar
 
Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Posts: 664
Registry
I must be getting old. I don't know what "F/G'd" stands for.

The year I got my '81 one of the things I did was repace that Trim Lok on the roof seam. Got mine at JC Whitney. It comes in different widths so be sure to get the right one, the one that simply gets pushed into place and grips the seam tight. Easy job. I'd give you the specs but forgot 'em. If you don't find out on this site what size to get take a careful measurement of the seam width and buy what snuggs tightly over that.

My old "Burro Rehab" slide show is still on You Tube, for W.I.W.
__________________
Myron Leski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
pjanits's Avatar
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Posts: 881
Quote:
I must be getting old. I don't know what "F/G'd" stands for.

The year I got my '81 one of the things I did was repace that Trim Lok on the roof seam. Got mine at JC Whitney. It comes in different widths so be sure to get the right one, the one that simply gets pushed into place and grips the seam tight. Easy job. I'd give you the specs but forgot 'em. If you don't find out on this site what size to get take a careful measurement of the seam width and buy what snuggs tightly over that.

My old "Burro Rehab" slide show is still on You Tube, for W.I.W.
F/G'd = FiberGlassed
__________________

__________________
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ridge molding for Burro Arthur, H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 05-04-2010 11:15 PM
Need molding for beachcomber door LeeAnne Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 09-12-2007 08:11 AM
Trillium Bellyband Molding/Trim TorreyT Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 04-23-2007 05:21 PM
Door hinge/molding RicK M Classified Archives 0 10-07-2006 11:25 PM
Door hinge/molding Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.