Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
OK, being lazy now...but is there a major disadvantage to the single-bar hitch arrangement? I definitely want to have the whole weight-distro/sway bar arrangement.
I don't think the UHaul's single bar hitch would be compatible with a Weight Distribution Hitch.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for all the great comments! So many great trailers...but I really like the smooth interior of these two brands. I love the burro wide bodies. Ideally, with a/c and shower/toilet.
I was in exactly the same place you are... looking for that perfect (elusive) trailer. I had made my mind up that I wanted (brand x) trailer. And for three years I chased that brand. I drove to the Seattle area three times, based on that "brand" that was for sale. The third time (and losing out), I changed my tactics. I had a budget ($5,000) and realized I could either continually look (and drive) or just be done with it and settle for some other brand and get out and camp. You know what? I found a trailer that fit my budget within 25 miles from home. I've now owned that trailer for nearly 10 years and enjoy every minute I'm out camping. After this length of time and the things I've done to improve the trailer, I believe I could get almost all the money back that I have into it... and I've had some great times in it over the past years! When buying used, you need to be adaptable. I'm glad I was, otherwise I may STILL not have that particular (brand) of trailer in my driveway and I would STILL not be out camping. YMMV

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
I'm sorry, Frederick; I guess I should have mentioned that they are both Cloud clones. For once I stuck to the subject and did not bring in extra details

I agree that Burro did not make the U-hauls. I believe they were made by (or contracted to) Rec-Vee Industries by U-haul.

That said, I still think they were made from the same basic mold, with some tweaks. That is, the Cloud, Burro, and U-haul. I would say the Burro and U-haul are more similar, shell-wise, than the Cloud. It looks like Burro changed the mold to add the flatter front/rear window landing pads, and also to add the more-full fiberglass liner (the Cloud only had a half-height liner).

The U-haul bumper is definitely mention-worthy. How did I forget that princely piece! And of course the Cloud has the very cool spare-tire cover (but the OP is probably not going to find a Cloud - or at least not likely).

Raya

I believe the large bumper on the cloud is actually a fiberglass cover over a smaller metal bumper as the spare tire cover is fiberglass as well. I would love to borrow a bumper and fiberglass cover as I know a fiber glass guy that could make a mold and then I could have a set for my burro!

As per Bob D.

Scott

The bumper is 'glass. Raw, no gelcoat.

Bob

Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #18

Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Registry
Donna,

I've always come back to the smooth-walled interior of the Burros and U-Hauls...I think because I'll be traveling with pets, it seems like it will be easier to keep clean. But I've bounced around the entire "favorites" spectrum!

My budget's small--until I sell some real estate, I'm cash-poor, but have decided that, if I can find a trailer that I can reasonably fix up (and I can do without installed bath facilities or even the sink) that will do nicely until things turn around for me. When I'm rich and famous (ha) I'll get a brand-new (insert future favorite here). I'm actuallyl thinking of renting out my house, absent-roommate-style, and doing some urban boondocking to help keep expenses down and pay off a few debts that are bleeding my soul as much as my pocketbook...and for some adventure. (I do have places to go where I can hook up, shower, etc for longer periods of time, little/no cost).

As it stands, I'm converting the bed cap on my Nissan for camping, with storage under a bed area, though most of my camping will involve lightweight backpacking. I've probably mentioned previously (in another thread) that I have solar equipment, a Coleman propane water heater (love it!) and all the other doo-dads, and now that I've completed a lot of projects and the accompanying clutter, I can take on a new one. Within reason...I can handle DIY woodwork, upholstery, wiring, even fiberglass/resin patches, but the spendier stuff might be a bit tougher. So--get ready to laugh--my budget is gonna restrict me to $2000, which limits me to those awesome deals that seem to show up mainly on the east coast. Gah!

The toughie is that I need air conditioning for the animals...and to keep me sane, since regardless of where I'm living, the egg will be a mobile office. Double gah!

Donna, was that your cute little trailer with the beautiful wood cabinets that you recently sold? Such a gorgeous rig!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Donna, was that your cute little trailer with the beautiful wood cabinets that you recently sold? Such a gorgeous rig!
Not this Donna, I still have mine (thankfully). Michele, you live in the Pacific NorthWET. Trust me, you don't need A/C (lots of trees around to park under) as much as way to stay warm. Unless you spend a lot of time in a treeless area like Sisters/La Pine... a good fan (Fantastic?) works fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Michele, I have to agree with Donna. I've had a half-dozen different brands of fiberglass trailers over the years; five Scamps (two 13's, two 16's, and a 19), A UHaul CT13, a Burro 17 widebody with the shower/commode, a LoveBug II 18', a Trillium 4500, and now two Bigfoots, a 17' and a 25'. Per Walthinson, I think, described the Burro 17 interior as "like living in a refrigerator"... and I agree completely. You'll find a trailer in your budget... and the brand isn't nearly as important as the features. Find a trailer, and have a ball!

Roger
Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #21

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Michele, I have to agree with Donna. I've had a half-dozen different brands of fiberglass trailers over the years; five Scamps (two 13's, two 16's, and a 19), A UHaul CT13, a Burro 17 widebody with the shower/commode, a LoveBug II 18', a Trillium 4500, and now two Bigfoots, a 17' and a 25'. Per Walthinson, I think, described the Burro 17 interior as "like living in a refrigerator"... and I agree completely. You'll find a trailer in your budget... and the brand isn't nearly as important as the features. Find a trailer, and have a ball!

Roger
Thanks! Yep, takes the pressure off. I DO tend to camp in deserty areas, so I can handle the "refrigerator" part!

By the way, Roger, if you don't have time to exercize all those trailers, I can help you out...
Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
By the way, Roger, if you don't have time to exercise [b]all those trailers, I can help you out...
Roger's a serial trailerite. He limits himself to only one (or 2) at a time.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #23

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
now two Bigfoots, a 17' and a 25'
Ah, was thinking he had TWO Bigfoots. He does have at least two trailers...look at his profile banner thing! He's downright greedy!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #24

Oregon
Quote:
Thanks! Yep, takes the pressure off. I DO tend to camp in deserty areas, so I can handle the "refrigerator" part!
Don't really know if you've had an opportunity to personally see any trailer, but looking at pictures isn't like viewing the real deal. Bandon is too far for a day trip, but Sweet Home is only 1 hour 47 minutes / 95.78 miles from Portland. I'd suggest coming down to the Northern Oregon Gathering and seeing all the trailers. Everything from a Burro to Bigfoot 5th wheel. Folks will proudly let you tour their trailers and answer all the questions you have.

Northern Oregon Gathering - Fall Event 2010, October 8-10, 2010
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #25

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
The wood interior cabinet Burro that recently sold was mine. I am still kicking myself for doing so.

The inner hull IS a hull, not a liner. It is as thick as the outer, with the addition of having the furniture in the mold. It is not just cosmetic or for pure function, it is a big part of the mechanical integrity of the unit.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #26

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Edited to add: Warning! Nerdy and possibly annoying post follows. Also maybe boring. Okay, forewarned

Quote:
The inner hull IS a hull, not a liner. It is as thick as the outer, with the addition of having the furniture in the mold. It is not just cosmetic or for pure function, it is a big part of the mechanical integrity of the unit.
Fair enough, Gina. My background is in boating, and a similar feature on a boat would be called a liner, not a double-hull, unless it was... a second hull. Many, many boats - mostly since the early 80s, have liners very similar to the U-haul liner. i.e. a fairly thick "unit" that makes up the furniture and some walls, and is tacked/glued/attached to the hull in some places. They do add some support but I would not call that style "structural" or say that it adds a hull.

My personal feeling is that the Burro liner (at least based on my knowledge of the U-haul liner, which looks similar) is that I would call it a semi-structural liner. I can believe that it adds some stiffness to the roof, because of how it is tabbed to the roof a few inches or so (maybe 6"?) out from the central seam. I wouldn't think it gives a lot of support on the sides, but I think it would give some around the windows (although the windows themselves probably stiffen it up some too).

At least in the fiberglass boating world, the "strength" of a liner is mostly about the attachment points. Fewer attachment points (and/or sandwich-skin-tension) effect, equals less structural help. Another way boats develop liner strength (usually in the floors) is by having a structural grid (of half tubes, say) molded into the area under the floor and tabbed to the hull. Shape + attachment. Once the attachment bonds are broken (if they are, say in an accident or due to sloppy construction), then most of their strength is gone.

A cored (sandwich) structure is similar, like, say two fiberglass skins bonded to a "filling" of balsa wood. Any of the three would be pretty floppy on their own, but if they are (and stay) thoroughly bonded together you get an "I beam" effect and it makes a much, much stronger material. If the core rots and/or the skins become delaminated, they go right back to floppy city.

Okay, 95% of the people that started reading this are probably snoring by now, but I wanted to explain my thoughts on the liner. By the way, I like it, and that was one feature I really liked on the U-haul. I think it's a great feature, so I'm not knocking it at all. Also, maybe the Burro is different than the U-haul. On the U-haul there were few attachment/bonding points between the liner and the shell. For example, there was a large area of "un-supported" fiberglass behind the kitchen unit, and if you went outside there, and pressed on the fiberglass, you could make it move easily. Not that it was going to break, but it was "floppy," as fiberglass tends to be in a relatively straight, unsupported panel. If the Burro has more attachment points, or tabbing - like say if the U-haul had had mini "bulkheads" behind the kitchen, or etc., then the Burro may have a more structural liner than the U-haul. I was thinking they were probably similar, but I have not seen a Burro up close. At any rate, they are both great designs, and clearly plenty sturdy (30 years later kind of proves that). I think the shiny interior is a big plus, and for my own trailer I wanted either that or Ensolite, as opposed to carpet or fur.

Raya
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #27

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
My recollection of my Burro was that I could make the fiberglass move by leaning on it.

CindyL

PS: The real difference I find between my earlier Burro and my current UHaul, aside from the size difference, is that the Burro was white, inside and out. The UHaul is slightly off-white or even a light tan. The tongue on my Uhaul is longer, but I am not sure what it is on a CT. In our Eurovan, when we opened the back gate (which lifts up), we always had to figure out a way to keep it from hitting the Burro. Our UHaul tongue is long enough that this is not an issue. Structurally, the UHaul was made stronger, but we have not found a difference in pulling either of them, despite the fact that the UHaul is heavier. Both pulled like a dream.
The biggest difference that has affected us is the proprietary nature of the Uhaul, finding the repair parts when you need them.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
The rear hatch on our quest swings up with plenty of room when we are hooked up to our ct.

Tags
burro, u-haul