Buying a fiberglass trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
Buying a fiberglass trailer?

I'm in the market for a used fiberglass travel trailer. My 2005 Casita 17' SD has been good to me but need more room now that Father Time is catching up with me and want a 25 foot or bigger Big Foot. What do you look for in a used fiberglass trailer? Does fiberglass wear out, discolour or fade and therefore weaken the materiel? How can you tell if the trailer has been in an accident and then repaired? Can BIG cracks be hidden by fiberglass repair? I knew a couple back in the 70's that bought a motorhome that was cracked in half and therefore useless, and no they didn't get their money back. Don't want that to happen to me. I love bathtub style fiberglass RVs because of no worry construction...but am I deceived?
Rattlesnake Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Joe, hi. In the "document center" (see on left under "resources") there is a buyer's check list. I think it's a list of things to look for when shopping for preowned trailers.

I think the biggest thing to watch for is probably the floor condition. Any sign of water leakage, too. If water leaked from, say, a window or from a water line for some length of time, it could have rotted the floor.

The fiberglass itself is pretty durable.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
1) items and systems that need refurb or repair; items and systems that are beyond repair; items and systems that you desire but aren't present

2) no, yes, yes, no

3)unfair or discontinuous surfaces (i.e. crazy reflections); painted surfaces; mismatched fenestration; bent or fished (reinforced) frame members

4) Presumably a big crack can be hidden by an inadequate cosmetic muddle or it can be both hidden and adequately repaired by a structural repair.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Hi, Joe!
Bigfoot's biggest in molded 'glass (for "regular" production) was a 25 footer.

They also made a beautiful 28 footer in molded glass as well (called the Silver Cloud) - and there is one of them for sale right now on the "for sale" forum of this board. There were VERY few of those made - I cannot recall the exact number of them, but it was something like 13 of them. They are considered to be the "holy grail" of fiberglass trailers.

Bigfoot also made some 'glass trailers that are NOT molded - they are galss composite panels with seams etc. I looked at one of those a few years ago. (a 24 footer). Personally, I passed on it, but many folks love it. It had the very BEST floorplan I have ever seen in ANY travel trailer! If it had been molded glass, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat!

There is also a 25 foot Bigfoot listed in the For Sale section of this board as well.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
The best advice I can give is to carry a Buyer's guide with you when looking for a trailer. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/buy-sell.html

Some of your questions about what to look for in a fiberglass trailer might be easily answered by your current Casita. Your Casita is a 2005, do you see discoloration, cracks, does the fiberglass look worn out etc?

Molded fiberglass does have issues, but I would assume that your friends MH that '' cracked '' in half was most likely a stickie! Doubt that would happen with a molded fiberglass (not saying it can't, just saying it probably doesn't happen very often. Even with stickies) Good luck with your search.................................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote