Buying Assistance - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have any opportunity to buy a 1991 16' Casita. the owner doesn't travel anymore. It has AC, heater, front shower/toilet. All systems work. the outside needs some attention. He backed into a parking post and repaired the curb side rear and decided to paint the trailer white (not a very good paint job). Doen't appear to have any integrity issues(not water leaks etc.) He would provide all towing equipment, receiver, WDH. The concern is that I would like to remove the paint and restore back to original fiberglass. He is asking a firm $2000 for the trailer. How is the price and any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

BobC

Old 06-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
The concern is that I would like to remove the paint and restore back to original fiberglass. He is asking a firm $2000 for the trailer. How is the price and any comments would be much appreciated.
Sounds like a good price if everything else is OK. The difficulty in advising comes down to we don't know how the trailer was prepped for paint, what lies beneath the paint, or even what type of paint was used. You can stip the paint and reapply a new layer of gel coat, it is a bit of work, but possible.

Roy Massen describes how he did his gel coat in this thread with more details in his blog archives.

I'm considering redoing the gel coat on mine, once I finish a lot of other fixes and mods. I've posted a link to a good source for gel coat repairs on video in the thread Want the shine, Need to know that discusses some of your alternatives.

Roy

Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
FIRSTLY Bob to our community, stick around post often and ESPECIALLY post pictures, we here ALL love pictures!!!!

.......IMHO: being a Caanuck and having only seen Casitas on a catch as catch can basis, I'd say at THAT price. Worry about the cosmetics later. I also don't know that much about repairing fiberglass, so I can't comment on that issue except to say that you could always paint the lower part of the trailer (IF thats where the repaired area is) at a shop either in a contrasting color or else as close to the original color as possible. The price (to me) sounds like a steal, especially with all the tow equipment included....!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Can anybody else add to this especially price wise? I need to get back to him today.

I have any opportunity to buy a 1991 16' Casita. the owner doesn't travel anymore. It has AC, heater, front shower/toilet. All systems work. the outside needs some attention. He backed into a parking post and repaired the curb side rear and decided to paint the trailer white (not a very good paint job). Doen't appear to have any integrity issues(not water leaks etc.) He would provide all towing equipment, receiver, WDH. The concern is that I would like to remove the paint and restore back to original fiberglass. He is asking a firm $2000 for the trailer. How is the price and any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

BobC
Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

Name: Darrel
Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Nevada
I would say the price sounds good. A boat shop could quote you for the repair. It is a lot easier than one would think. Internet has a lot of information on fiberglass repairs. I think imho it would be worth double or triple the price once it is repaired.
Darrel
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
It IS a steal. Buy it and run, don't walk!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ami, You crack me up! But I do agree!

Bob,
Sounds like a good price. Even old beaters sell for around that. Yeah, there may be issues, but at that price you can afford to repair, then you will have yourself a great little trailer. Enjoy and Welcome! Robin
Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Bob, I just went and looked for simular year Casita's on the referral forum, What I saw them selling for was in the range of $6000, Some higher, some a little lower. So your find sounds like a good deal. Good Luck! Robin

By the way, I just paid $2000 for a 1985 with blue shag carpet.................. Ugly And felt I got a good deal. So take that info for what it's worth.