Buying from across the border? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Why did you have to buy insurance for the trailer, is it required in Canada? If I get in an accident and it's my fault, my auto insurance will pay, not sure if it will pay to fix the trailer though. If my trailer gets stolen, well I guess I'm out of luck, but I don't think it's worth enough to insure an older trailer.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Insurance is mandatory in Canada on both cars and trailers.

Edit: I should mention that the insurance for an old trailer is pretty cheap - for a 13' minimum insurance is less then $50.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I don't seem to recall trailer insurance being mandatory in Ontario. IIRC it is covered under the auto policy while being towed and home policy while parked in the driveway. Though there might be some weight/size or use thresholds that we did not cross.

OTOH you can buy optional insurance that covers more than your home/auto policies but they wanted an appraisal for a trailer as old as ours. If it is anything like the apraisal on an old car, they want one done every few years to keep the extra policy in effect. Considering the cost of an appraisal, it almost makes sense to self insure.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Roy, do you have to have plates for a trailer in Ontario or can the trailer run 'bare naked' =). Here in BC we have to have insurance on trailers.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Roy, do you have to have plates for a trailer in Ontario or can the trailer run 'bare naked' =). Here in BC we have to have insurance on trailers.

We need plates. And they are issued specific to the trailer registration.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #20

Name: Jake
Trailer: Still looking
Ontario
Quote:
Why did you have to buy insurance for the trailer, is it required in Canada? If I get in an accident and it's my fault, my auto insurance will pay, not sure if it will pay to fix the trailer though. If my trailer gets stolen, well I guess I'm out of luck, but I don't think it's worth enough to insure an older trailer.
Yes. I agree with Thomas to a degree.

I have purchased 2 used tailers in the USA, and have never had a problem at the border, as long as you have both the Ownership/ title (US speak) and a bill of sale.
I paid GST (Goods & Services tax, NO duty) at the Canadian border, and then took the US Paperwork to the Ministry of Transport, and changed it over to an Ontario registration, and paid the PST (Provincial Sale Tax) and Voila, now a Canadian registered trailer.
I was never asked to have the trailer/s checked/ Inspected at Canadian Tire, as they were NOT motorized? This may be a different requirement in B.C.

Also, as a side note, IF it is a Trailer and NOT a motorized Motorhome, U.S Customs does NOT even want to know about it.
I stopped with all my paperwork at the U.S Customs side first, to be careful, and they told me this, themselves. No motor, we do not care!

For Ontario, I believe it is a bit different than B.C, as we can just add a rider onto our existing Auto Policy to cover the trailer, which is usually pretty inexpensive, dependant on th price of the trailer.
If you are going to leave it parked in a campground, then it is a different independant policy from your Auto policy, but can usually be done through the same company.

Well, just my 2 cents worth, and I would and will do it again, very simple process.
Happy Camping, Jake.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #21

Ontario
I'm resserecting this thread to get a better grasp on the tax changes that are about to happen in Ontario.
Under the old system we paid GST at the Border and the PST when we registered the trailer with the province.

I know some of the provinces have gone to the HST or Harmonized sales tax already. How does the taxes work for them? You can't have 2 people collecting the same tax can you? Or does one check up on the other?

Part of the reason I'm asking is that if I travel to the USA and spend a week travelling (ie picking up a trailer) I used to get an exemption on a portion of the GST based on my duty free allowance. But had to pay the full provincial taxes. Will I be able to claim a personal exemption on the HST?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
I know some of the provinces have gone to the HST or Harmonized sales tax already. How does the taxes work for them? You can't have 2 people collecting the same tax can you? Or does one check up on the other?
You won't have two people collecting. The HST replaces GST/PST. Ontario, and probably BC, will not have PST anymore. You will just get charged HST at the border, I think.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #23

Ontario
Quote:
You will just get charged HST at the border, I think.
Somehow that does not make sense. What if I cross in Alberta where there is no PST then the HST = the GST. Or if someone in Alberta crosses in ON or BC, they are getting dinged an extra 8%.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #24

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
This in response to Kent's concerns about a tow vehicle with BC plates and a trailer with Oregon plates. A couple of years back my wife and I purchased a 19 foot stickie in Twin Falls Idaho ( we were on assignment in Oklahoma at the time but found the perfect trailer for us while on a trip to Idaho ). We left the trailer on the lot in Idaho having agreed with the lot owner that we would be back in about three months to pick it up. Unbeknowst to us one of the guys in the shop was concerned that the plates might be stolen so he removed them ( a fact I failed to notice when we finally picked the unit up in Idaho and headed out for Oklahoma ). We towed the little trailer through three fairly major cities: Salt Lake City Utah, Albuquerque New Mexico, and Oklahoma City Oklahoma and six states: Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma without a trace of a license plate of any kind ( obviously I don't recommend this ) without any problems ! So apparently trailer plates are not much of a concern in the US of A. Lee
Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #25

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Unhappy

Quote:
Somehow that does not make sense. What if I cross in Alberta where there is no PST then the HST = the GST. Or if someone in Alberta crosses in ON or BC, they are getting dinged an extra 8%.
Cross where you like and pay the GST. Then, when you register the trailer, you will pay the balance. That would be my guess, since that's how it worked with PST.
cheers
Ian
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #26

Name: JerryPEI
Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
Cross where you like and pay the GST. Then, when you register the trailer, you will pay the balance. That would be my guess, since that's how it worked with PST.
cheers
Ian

The HST actually consists of two taxes. The 5% GST and the ?% PST. The GST is federal and the PST portion is provincial and ultimately will end up in the coffers of province of registration. When you actually register it in "your home" province I expect the difference will have to be payed/refunded. There may be instances where you have to claim back the PST from the entry province, after again paying the full amount in the "home" province.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #27

Name: Jake
Trailer: Still looking
Ontario
Quote:
The HST actually consists of two taxes. The 5% GST and the ?% PST. The GST is federal and the PST portion is provincial and ultimately will end up in the coffers of province of registration. When you actually register it in "your home" province I expect the difference will have to be payed/refunded. There may be instances where you have to claim back the PST from the entry province, after again paying the full amount in the "home" province.
Hi there:

I realize that this post is several months old, since it was begun, however I thought I
would ad my 2 cents worth, to assist any Canadians in their desire to buy a USED Egg
in the US.
I just bought and brought home to Toronto, a 1985 Burro, purchased in New Jersey. this past weekend.
I was in & out of the Canada Customs border office in less than 15 minutes, Tax paid and with all the required paperwork to submit to Ontario Ministry of Transportation, for an Ontario Ownership.
The trailer I purchased did NOT have a Title, however it did have a Homemade Registration only.
This is now the 2nd trailer I have bought in the US, and both times were a breeze, providing it was 15 years old, or older. That way there is no RIV (Registrar of Motor Vehicles) fee to be paid ($204 in Ontario) just the GST at the border, until the HST takes effect on July 1, 2010.
I did find that IF possible, go the the State DMV website (where purchased) and see if they have a Sale agreement, or Transaction form on their site, which I did, and use it, as it appears to be a proper sale document, and the Customs official seemed to be very impressed?
Ensure that both the Sale agreement and Ownership/ Title or Registration bear the same signature, it was certainly checked several times while I was at the counter.
IF older than 15 years, do yourself a favour and go the the RIV website and print off a copy of the section that states that Vehicles/ trailers OLDER than 15 years are Exempt from their Fee, as the customs official was not aware of this until I mentioned it to him, and his collegue confirmed same. he was fully prepared to charge me the $204, plus GST, until I brought it up.
You are NOT required to inform or stop at US Customs on the way out of the US at all, if it is a trailer, and NOT a Motorized vehicle, as they do not care or need to know, as I was informed by them on my 1st purchase.

With the dollars at par now, there are some great deals out there, if you search long enough, and I would certainly do it again, as the process really is quite simple.
Simply have lots of paperwork to back up your purchase:
- a copy of the ad, be it Craigslist/ E-bay or otherwise, to show where you found it.
- previously prepared Bill of Sale to be completed on site of your purchase, don't expect the seller to have one available, other than a hand written one?
- a copy of the RIV pages, as mentioned above
- your own trailer plae, in case that state does not offer temporary trip permits.
(I was fortunate to have the seller leave his current plate on it for me, as it was officially still registered to him, until the actual Title/ registration was changed to my name)

That's it, sorry to be long winded, but it all could not have gone any smoother or easier.

Cheers, and happy Egg shopping.
Jake.