Cadet Owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 88 Cadet
Looking at seeing who are current Cadet owners on the site. Please chime in so we can share tips etc.
Thanks
Len
1988 Cadet
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Cadet
I just bought a 1987 Cadet. I am in Toronto, Ontario
David Chiarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Own a 1986 Cadet. Bought it through family who got it in Burns Lake BC. Love it.
Lois currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chiarot View Post
I just bought a 1987 Cadet. I am in Toronto, Ontario
Did you buy the one that was for sale in Ottawa/Orleans area?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Cater View Post
Did you buy the one that was for sale in Ottawa/Orleans area?
No, I bought it through a friend out of Grimsby Ontario. It was never listed for sale anywhere.
David Chiarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Captain
Interesting, I sold one to a guy in Grimsby last year, I am pulling a Captain now.
Martin in Fonthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

Could be. Mine is a 1988, no stripes or Cadet label on it. The front box was repaired on the right bottom corner. Front dinette does not convert into a bed. Sound familiar?
Len
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I believe I'm the guy who recently scored the '86 in Ottawa. It came stripped to the fiberglass and needs rear window replacement...can probably repair front window crack near its edge. Otherwise, integrity of the unit is sound. Seller was great to work with, even meeting me part way for exchange. Now for the blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention trips to Ikea! By the way, thanks Len for the great resources you emailed!
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 13 ft Cadet
Cadet

Hi, I bought a 1986 cadet,a few months ago,right here in Hamilton,I have been too busy with work lately,and hav'nt had time for it,but soon,anyways its in great shape,only issues I see,, there are 8 small screws going thru roof,with silicone on outside of them,(they help to hold up the head-liner,I guess),and there are no curtains,and the propane stove is missing,other than all that, we love it, I plan on redoing the interior,hopefully over the fall/winter......John
John Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tin View Post
Hi, I bought a 1986 cadet,a few months ago,right here in Hamilton,I have been too busy with work lately,and hav'nt had time for it,but soon,anyways its in great shape,only issues I see,, there are 8 small screws going thru roof,with silicone on outside of them,(they help to hold up the head-liner,I guess),and there are no curtains,and the propane stove is missing,other than all that, we love it, I plan on redoing the interior,hopefully over the fall/winter......John
Well pipe in when you are ready to do the interior. Most Cadet had some pretty awful colour schemes on the walls. Mine was originally a Crimson velvet type material. Depending on the level of renovation you want to do, the walls are easiest if you remove the interior stuff first. If not then the old stuff will be left behind the cupboards etc. There was a spray foam insulation that you'll need to remove. It comes off pretty easy, usually with a plastic scraper and then a stiff wire brush. I covered my walls with hot water tank type insulation and then used a HEAVY automotive head liner. It turned out very nice and comfy. The hardest part is the rear corners as there are some complex curves to deal with. I tried to make a template out of paper first but that failed. It was easier starting with a piece larger than was needed and glue it on, and then cut off the excess.

Good luck!
Len
Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #11

Name: Charles
Ontario
I have an 86 Cadet. I've ripped the interior out due to the fact that the foam backing was disintegrating - and the fact that it was orange/peach coloured.

Ick.

Anyway, rebuilding it will be a winter project, so I can use it in comfort next year.

See a photo of it in action, here.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
I have an 86 Cadet. I've ripped the interior out due to the fact that the foam backing was disintegrating - and the fact that it was orange/peach coloured.

Ick.

Anyway, rebuilding it will be a winter project, so I can use it in comfort next year.

See a photo of it in action, here.
Coop, looks like you have a few other mods on yours. The front storage bin is HUGE! I have only seen 2 other styles on them, and yours is not one of them and it looks like an aftermarket. Is that a storage locker door at the rear under the rear side window? That would be another mod. What else do you think was done to yours?

And yes most of the cadet seem to be getting new interiors in them, but I think a lot of it starts with water damage or the colour of the material so hidious. Mine was due to hidiousness that it got replaced. Pipe in when you are ready to do the interior. It's easy to do with some patience and if you know someone who sews. I had a tailor friend help on mine and they a great help on the rear side panels with the complex curves.

Welcome aboard!
Len
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #13

Ontario
Hi Len,

These are really the only real mods (other than replacing the dometic r190 fridge). I built the box and added the storage door myself.

We carry a few tarps and tent poles as well as a small portable BBQ. They don't weigh much, and it's nice to keep them out of the main cabin during transport (especially if we have to leave and pack them for transport when they're wet).

The storage door was an end of line I picked up at an RV dealer in Vaughan a few years ago. For $15, I just couldn't resist, and it converts the otherwise dead space under the bed into usable storage.

There are a lot of small cracks in the fibreglass, and there's a small leak (just above my head when I lie down) in it. I'm planning on getting it redone. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations about where it can be done?

Once that is done, I'll be doing all other work myself - and yes, suggestions re the interior covering will be most appreciated!

coop
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi Len,

These are really the only real mods (other than replacing the dometic r190 fridge). I built the box and added the storage door myself.

We carry a few tarps and tent poles as well as a small portable BBQ. They don't weigh much, and it's nice to keep them out of the main cabin during transport (especially if we have to leave and pack them for transport when they're wet).

The storage door was an end of line I picked up at an RV dealer in Vaughan a few years ago. For $15, I just couldn't resist, and it converts the otherwise dead space under the bed into usable storage.

There are a lot of small cracks in the fibreglass, and there's a small leak (just above my head when I lie down) in it. I'm planning on getting it redone. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations about where it can be done?

Once that is done, I'll be doing all other work myself - and yes, suggestions re the interior covering will be most appreciated!

coop
Do you know where the leak is? I suspect if it is over your head then it is one of the handle holes drilled for the pop up. Since it would not necessarily be visible I would recommend doing your own repair. Get some marine gelcoat repair (Canadian Tire in the boating section) and follow the instructions. As well there is good info on this board.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #15

Ontario
Hi Len,

Fixing the leak is probably quite simple. I'm pretty sure that it's a very slow soak coming in where the aluminium band is attached to the the trailer.

However, there's enough wear and tear (and cracking, and crazing and fractures) that I want to redo the entire trailer and have it properly painted. I don't mind fibreglassing (I built the kayaks on top of the focus in my original photo), but there's only so much I have time and effort to do. I'd rather spend my time doing electrical, plumbing, woodworking, etc, than fibreglass and paint.

coop
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #16

Ontario
Any local suggestions for parts? I'll need new handles for the corners (the ones used to drag the trailer around) and probaby new window seals.

Or do I have to go to England?

;-)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Any local suggestions for parts? I'll need new handles for the corners (the ones used to drag the trailer around) and probaby new window seals.

Or do I have to go to England?

;-)
No, Nical used local products for the build-out, so most things can be acquired locally (except the windows). I find RV Warehouse in Cookstown has most of what I need. There is also Secard's (sp) south of Beamsville on top of the escarpment has a good supply. Those handles are pretty standard fare.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There's a nice one on ebay act quickly! 8/19/2010
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #19

Trailer: Captain
Hello Coop, Whose plans did you use for the kayaks? I am building my second one now from Jem Watercraft.
Martin
Martin in Fonthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #20

Ontario
Kayaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin in Fonthill View Post
Hello Coop, Whose plans did you use for the kayaks? I am building my second one now from Jem Watercraft.
Martin
Hi Martin,

The plans are from CLC. Two 14' and one 17'.

Tags
cadet