Camp Ground Books - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
This name for a pass sounded so silly I had to look it up. There's a summary from Recreation.gov, and it uses the whole phrase "America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass" fifteen times and never resorts to an acronym (which would be ATBNPAFRLP?) - I'm amazed. This page and the National Park Service page about passes name and describe the old "Golden" passes which are being replaced.

According to the Department of the Interior press release, this is really new; I'm not surprised that there is some confusion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
and never resorts to an acronym (which would be ATBNPAFRLP?)
For us older folks, it would be ATBNPAFRLP-SP - pronounced AT-BEN-PAFFERLIP-SIP.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Pete do you have links to these Books?
Here's an Amazon link to Don Wright's Free Camping Books (Eastern and Western Editions, with 'free' being defined as $12 or less (which means that a $20 CG, which would only cost a GA Card holder $10, wouldn't actually be listed) -- He also includes walkin or boatin sites, so one has to read carefully, plus sometimes he only gives a Park or NF/BLM Hq address without listing the locations of the actual sites.

Here's an Amazon Link to Camping with the Corps (of Engineers).

Here's a general Amazon Link to Camping in Natl Parks because I couldn't find the book I have and it's packed away right now.

If I am going to be in a state for a while, I will take a look at the DeLorme's Gazeteer for that state to see if its editor (different info for different states) put the actual locations of Natl Forest/BLM CGs on the maps -- If so, I'll get it -- Otherwise, I stop at the NF hqs for each forest and pick up lists and maps of that forest.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
If I am going to be in a state for a while, I will take a look at the DeLorme's Gazeteer for that state to see if its editor (different info for different states) put the actual locations of Natl Forest/BLM CGs on the maps -- If so, I'll get it -- Otherwise, I stop at the NF hqs for each forest and pick up lists and maps of that forest.
I believe that most of the PNW National Forest camp ground information is on line. BLM has just released a new web site with their sites .

Link to BLM Site.
Link to PNW National Forests.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Here's an Amazon link to Don Wright's Free Camping Books (Eastern and Western Editions, with 'free' being defined as $12 or less (which means that a $20 CG, which would only cost a GA Card holder $10, wouldn't actually be listed) -- He also includes walkin or boatin sites, so one has to read carefully, plus sometimes he only gives a Park or NF/BLM Hq address without listing the locations of the actual sites.

Here's an Amazon Link to Camping with the Corps (of Engineers).

Here's a general Amazon Link to Camping in Natl Parks because I couldn't find the book I have and it's packed away right now.
I've seen all of the books Pete mentions above at Camping World, and I think I purchased one or two of mine from them. You may pay less from Amazon but would incur shipping. If you have CW near by check it out.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We generally avoid National Park Campgrounds, preferring the surrounding National Forest CGs, quieter, less crowded, more natural. When we visit Yellowstone NP, for example, we stay in the lovely Eagle Creek CG just a few miles outside the East Entrance, and drive into the park for the day.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
We have used AAA for 50 years. Just rip out the motel section. My navigator copies camp ground notes into the the latest issue. The books are part of the membership and usually accurate.
The Stienstra books are good too but campgrounds do change even disappear.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I believe that most of the PNW National Forest camp ground information is on line. BLM has just released a new web site with their sites .

Link to BLM Site.
Link to PNW National Forests.
The advantages to the map books is that one need not be on line (important to Full Timer or multi-week traveler in remote area) and if the CGs are marked, they are marked right there on your map.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
The advantages to the map books is that one need not be on line (important to Full Timer or multi-week traveler in remote area) and if the CGs are marked, they are marked right there on your map.
Agreed.
However armed with those sites you can print out the list of campgrounds in the area you might be in. I plan on carrrying with me this summer the list of Forest Service and BLM campgrounds for Washington and Oregon. Mostly the western part of both states. I also have mapping software on my computer that I can plug in the approximate locations then I have the whole thing. I can print out ahead of time if I like.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Byron,

Thanks for the BLM website imfo. Boondockers like me appreciate it!!

Ron
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #31

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
This is a great website: www.freecampgrounds.com A lot of small town city parks are listed as well as the usual Wal-Mart locations that still allow overnight camping.
I checked some areas with which I am familiar and found the information to be accurate and many of the comments made within the past year.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #32
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
This is a great website: www.freecampgrounds.com A lot of small town city parks are listed as well as the usual Wal-Mart locations that still allow overnight camping.
I checked some areas with which I am familiar and found the information to be accurate and many of the comments made within the past year.

Vivian

And it's listed among others on our Helpful-Links > RV Campgrounds page. [b]Thanks for the reminder, Vivian!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #33

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
"Golden Age" was probably too politically incorrect for our modern masters.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote