Camp Ground Books - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
We are leaving for a trip at the beginning of Feb.
We enjoy State and Federal camp grounds (seem to be set in the nice spots).
Does anyone know of a good book with these camp spots mentioned.
For your info we will leave the northwest to new mexico and travel east to Florida then north to Maine and return home to the Northwest.Will be on the road 3 1/2 months.
So do not forget to wave as we travel by.
Thanks Dave & Sharon
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Dave,

I use the Trailer Life Directory which I ordered through Good Sam Club. There is also a Woodall's Directory which I think is more campground oriented. The 2007 editions should be out later this month and you might wait a few weeks before shopping. I believe Camping World carries both.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We've gotten great use out of the Coleman National Forest Campground & Recreation Directory. Used it through SD, WY, MT, ID, NV, CA, OR, and WA. You can get it new online at amazon.com - and even cheaper through Abebooks at this link: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetail...pground%26x%3D0

The Coleman book lists over 4000 federal campgrounds across the US, state by state, with maps, etc. Be aware that federal campgrounds are far fewer in the East than in the West, but what exists is listed in this book. Get the latest edition you can, as NF campgrounds change from time to time - but we've not had a disappointment yet. We do most of our camping in state and national forest campgrounds, and the Coleman book is our bible!

PS - If you're over age 62, you qualify for the new "America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass." This is the new name for what used to be the Golden Age Passport - the old name was better, but it's still a great deal. Register once - $10 for life - and get tremendous discounts on federal campground fees, national park entrance fees, etc.!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot
What I did was to hit Barnes and Noble and Camperland and find one that fits your desires.Also, when you stop at a national forest camp ground buy their map.No one book can have everyyhing.Thru time I have acccumulated about 20lbs of maps,charts and directories.
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I'd like to recommend a great on-line directory. We love to camp at Corps of Engineers campgrounds. They're located in beautiful settings and the facilities have always been very nice. You can check them out and make reservations online at http://www.reserveusa.com/
The web site gives detailed information about each individual campsite to help you choose just the right spot. Those engineers are detail people!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Since we like boondocking in remote and obscure areas usually in the southern parts of California, Arizona and New Mexico we use as a start: Don Wright's "Guide to Free Campgrounds" and the Benchmark map books of the individual states. You can view and purchase these at Barnes & Noble, and others.

Actually these only give you a start. If you just keep your "eyes peeled" and your "ears to the ground" you will discover many more. A few weeks ago in Ajo, AZ at a dollar store we started a friendly conversation with a customer who was a long time local. Once he found out we had a serious 4 WD tow vehicle, he couldn't stop talking about all the beautiful areas to visit in the region. We didn't have time to pursue all, but took notes and did check out and enjoy a few.

Good luck and many fine trails on your 3 1/2 month escape!

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I love the Fog Horn Camping books. I have nearly all of them. They have campgrounds in them as opposed to RV parks. I also use Don Wright's Free campground books, a Corps of Engineering campground book and as for RV parks I belong to Passport America for 1/2 price camping if I wish to stay in an RV park. I do have an old Trailer Life book put out by Woodalls but I found I never used it as I am inclined not to stay in RV parks. I lean to Federal and State parks.

It's the Fog Horn books that I use the most. I recently ordered New England Camping and Great Lakes Camping to go along with all the FogHorn books I have from the Rockies West. I never leave home without the Foghorn California Camping and Northwest Camping books.

I'm considering purchasing the Coleman book but haven't as yet. It would cover the states that have no Fog Horns books.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
It's the Fog Horn books that I use the most. I recently ordered New England Camping and Great Lakes Camping to go along with all the FogHorn books I have from the Rockies West. I never leave home without the Foghorn California Camping and Northwest Camping books.
Thanks for the tip Joy! The Foghorn books sound perfect for us, and because of your suggestion we just ordered a new copy of Foghorn's Pacific Northwest camping book (2003 edition) from a third party seller at Amazon.com. For anyone else that might be interested, the price including shipping was only $6.75. (Regular retail price is about $21.)

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Foghorn Books

The order links go to Amazon Books and give the discounts.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My library is almost exactly like Joy's -- The Wright books (E & W), the COE book and a Natl Park CG book -- I don't have the Passport America, which I found to be more useful in the East where there are fewer Natl Forests, etc., than in the West (I prefer the Federal facilities because with my GA pass, the entry is free and the CGs are half price, plus I prefer the ambiance to that of a typical RV park).

BTW, Frederick, my brand-new, magnetic striped card is still entitled "Golden Age Passport".
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Foghorn Books

I like the writing style...
Quote:
For some, it is a campground filled with RVs and barbecues, sort of a downtown with trees.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
My library is almost exactly like Joy's -- The Wright books (E & W), the COE book and a Natl Park CG book -- I don't have the Passport America, which I found to be more useful in the East where there are fewer Natl Forests, etc., than in the West (I prefer the Federal facilities because with my GA pass, the entry is free and the CGs are half price, plus I prefer the ambiance to that of a typical RV park).

BTW, Frederick, my brand-new, magnetic striped card is still entitled "Golden Age Passport".
Pete do you have links to these Books?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Foghorn Books

From what I could see on Amazon at least the Oregon, Washington, and Pacific Northwest camping books are 4 to 5 years old. Also from the prices and sellers (Note: Amazon isn't selling them, it's a 3rd party) my guess is that it's out of print.

This book series had changed from "Foghorn" to "Moon"

The current title can be seen here.. This is an Avalon Publishing web site.

Here's the Amazon dot com link. Pacific Northwest Camping
EDITED to update information
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #14

Quote:
From what I could see on Amazon at least the Oregon, Washington, and Pacific Northwest camping books are 4 to 5 years old. Also from the prices and sellers (Note: Amazon isn't selling them, it's a 3rd party) my guess is that it's out of print.

Here's the Amazon dot com link. Pacific Northwest Camping
EDITED to update information
Good Info, thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:

I had searched to see if there was a more recent edition of the Foghorn PNW camping book than the 2003 version offered, but I didn't realize that there was a name change with the new edition. (Amazon was still selling the 2003 version yesterday, but since then they've sold out.) That's the trouble with a virtual book store compared to the bookshop on the corner... Well, feel free to contact us if you want to know which campgrounds used to be where you want to go!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
All my Foghorn books were pubished by Avalon and all were between 2000 and 2001 with exception of New England Camping which was 2005.

As I said I use my California and Northwest books all the time. So far I haven't encountered any problems with using a book that is 5 to 6 yeas old. These books do include RV style campgrounds like KOA's. Since my books are not current I could run into places that have changed names or maybe closed but so far, not. Also I'm not inclined to utilized them anyway. The Forest, State parks etc. for the most part will still be there. The only thing I've encountered is that the price has gone up. I don't plan to purchase any more current versions anytime soon.

As far as Moon books go, I recently purchased Moon books for the States of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. They are not camping books but do have mention of campground facilities in the various sections of each state they are writing about. Not comprehensive like the Camping books. Foghorn did not have Camping books for those states when I was looking for them. Now that it is Moon Books maybe I'll find some.

And like Pete, I too have the National Parks Campground book and agree that I'd most likely use the Passport America more if I were in the East. What gives me my membership fee back has been the one stay at Pahrump, Nev each year while attending the West Coast ScampCamp. Anything after that is gravy "if" I use my PA card.

I too, have a new Golden Age Pass which is simply that a Golden Age Pass. The long name that I think Byron mentioned applies to the other cards that used to exsist, such as the Parks Pass, Golden Eagle etc which are now under that umbrella. Not the Golden Age(for those over 62) and Golden Access(for those with disabilities. Any way that's my understanding.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
All my Foghorn books were pubished by Avalon and all were between 2000 and 2001 with exception of New England Camping which was 2005.

Foghorn books are no more. They are now Moon books and published by Avalon.

Quote:
I too, have a new Golden Age Pass which is simply that a Golden Age Pass. The long name that I think Byron mentioned applies to the other cards that used to exsist, such as the Parks Pass, Golden Eagle etc which are now under that umbrella. Not the Golden Age(for those over 62) and Golden Access(for those with disabilities. Any way that's my understanding.
The new name for "Golden Age Passport" is "America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass– Senior Pass". This is a recent change, within the last couple months.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
The new name for "Golden Age Passport" is "America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass– Senior Pass". This is a recent change, within the last couple months.
Byron is right - and what a shame the crisp old three-word name has neen changed to a blustering 12-word mouthful by some bureaucrat with nothing better to do!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Byron is right - and what a shame the crisp old three-word name has neen changed to a blustering 12-word mouthful by some bureaucrat with nothing better to do!
Us seniors at times can barely remember our name, let alone this thing.

Conversation at National Park admissions gate.

Gate Attendent "Do you have an America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass– Senior Pass"

Senior "A what?"

Gate Attendent "An America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass– Senior Pass"

Senior "What's it look like?"

Gate Attendent "I think it used to be called a Golden Age Passport?

Senior "Well sonny, why didn't you say that in the first place? Here ya go."

I know, a poor attempt at humor.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #20

It would be very funny, Byron, if only it weren't so true!