Can Scamp type trailers be stored outside without cover in lower michigan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Can Scamp type trailers be stored outside without cover in lower michigan?

Considering buying used fiberglass trailer. Is there a problem storing it outside without a cover? Cosmetic or real problems over several years? AC or awning problem?
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
No, only in Upper Michigan.....
Old 09-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Could not resist an attempt at humor. I can see no reason why not, other than snow accumulating on roof issue, you may want to add an interior brace.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #4

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
loved joke!!!!!! There is however a huge difference between the UP and LP. Temps and snow loads!! Anyway, the trailer won't suffer any consequences left outside?
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If, when you say "Scamp Type" if you are including flatter tops, such as Trilliums, you might want to consider possible snow load issues. There have been several pics posted of tops collapsed from high loads, one a Boler as a I recall.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sure it will suffer "consequences": faster oxidation of gelcoat, rubber seals & tires, and plastic parts (like the AC shroud), discoloration from environmental conditions (trees, birds, etc.), rust on some metal parts, that kind of thing.

But it will clean up, and permanent damage can be mitigated with the application of a couple of coats of good wax. I agree that braces are a good idea in heavy snow areas. Removing accumulated snow after storms is a good practice, as is checking inside regularly for signs of moisture and rodents. It wouldn't hurt to open up the awning once in a while if you get a break in the weather, and a cover for just the AC might be worth looking into.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
Anyway, the trailer won't suffer any consequences left outside?
Nope not if you keep your eye on the snow load factor (inside bracing will fix that issue if its a heavy load) and you love it and give it a good waxing & clean up each year.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We stored several RV's outside, for several years, in Ontario, about 200 miles north of the 'Soo' on the other side of Lake Superior. Regular snow clearing was an expected 'winter-chore'. But, now retired, about 500 miles further south-east, in Ontario, we've built our 'Boler Barn', for any conceivable 'snow' problem.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
To my knowledge our 1991 Scamp 16 has never been stored inside, most of those years in Florida sun. As far as I can tell the surface has stood up well, definitely not anything I would complain about... it's still bright white.

We don't keep tires very long and tire oxidation has not been a problem, we keep tires for three years... on the road typically 200-300 days a year.. and replace them probably earlier than most, sort of a $1 a day of travel for tires a year.

As to snow on the roof, we don't let it accumulate, having as much as a foot of fluffy stuff on the roof. The most vulnerable stuff to sunshine is plastic. We have painted our vent to protect it from sun, Sun will kill them in a matter of years unprotected. We also have painted other pieces of plastic like the fill spout and the cord entry port

I also painted a bunch of the white caps with spray white. The failure mode of these caps is sunlight.

The sunlight was also deteriorate the curtains.

I don't have an awning on the Scamp. We had one on our motorhome but it rolled up into an aluminum cover that kept it protected. It was 10 years old when we sold it. We rarely think they are necessary and you have to take them down in many parts of the country when you leave your rig. In Florida I've seen storms come up in short order and rip awnings off in a blink.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Norm,
I wonder if it would be okay to paint the plastic with the rubberized Flex Seal product? Maybe an overkill? It comes in white or clear. Not sure what the implications would be. Just an idea and not to steal this forum question but to augment it with another solution.. Thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

Florida
I can't imagine why you would want to do paint with flex seal.

The main issue with fiberglass would be gel coat chips on dirt roads. We had an painted aluminum faced trailer when we drove across Labrador. At teh tiem it was a 1000 mile dirt road, mostly paved now.

At the time the front of the trailer became stripped of it's paint down to bare aluminum. As well every front facing painted surface, like the trailer frame pretty much lost it's paint. Our grey tank was front facing below the trailer, fortunately we had covered it with blue foam, the foam was peppered but the tank unscatherd.

I wonder what those stones would have done to the front of the Scamp. I've considered coating the front of the Scamp but not with a paint if I were to take a trip like that again. There are protective materials that might not be so hard to remove.

It's hard to imagine that your Casita needs paint.

One thing about paint and most coatings is that they can not stand up to sunlight and eventually change color or worse. I'd say you'd have to try it some where yu didn't care about, maybe a small square on top of the roof and let the Texas Sun do it's thing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Sorry Norm. I was specifically referring only to my AC cover and Fan Vent which are plastic. Not the egg itself. I apologize for not making that clear from the onset.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #13

Florida
Mike,

Sorry. I don't know what the original owner painted our vent with but it was brushed on and thick. When I repainted it this summer I brushed on gloss white rustoleum. I brushed it on because no spray splatter to deal with and the surface was really rough.

Again I think how it stands up to the sun is key. I have a lot of white rustoleum, I paint it on the frame. On my little caps I used gloss white spray rustoleum.

If you try it let us know the outcome.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
also

If you have a water tank and a toilet I always put a gallon of fifty below antifreeze and prime it through the system. It will prevent possible freezes of trapped water and also keeps the pump seals wet and healthy. I store inside but not heated.
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp