Canadian Comparative of NEW FGRVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi and greetings from Vancouver, BC, Canada to all. I'm a noob to the FGRV forum, but am set on buying my first FG "EGG". For new models, there seem to be 3 very similar brands available in Western Canada: the "Outback" (produced in Alberta), the "Escape" (produced in BC), and the "new" Trillium (until recently produced in BC, but production just moved to California?). All 3 brands seem very similar.

Does anyone have a good comparative or information on how these 3 brands differ?

A second option is of course for us not to buy new, but to get a 70s Boler or Trillium and do whatever renos are needed from the frame up, which could be a good project. Then again a brand new trailer may end up costing the same as a refurbished rebuild

Thanks for any help and input. We can't wait to join the FGRV community!
Steffen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Hi and greetings from Vancouver, BC, Canada to all. I'm a noob to the FGRV forum, but am set on buying my first FG "EGG". For new models, there seem to be 3 very similar brands available in Western Canada: the "Outback" (produced in Alberta), the "Escape" (produced in BC), and the "new" Trillium (until recently produced in BC, but production just moved to California?). All 3 brands seem very similar.

Does anyone have a good comparative or information on how these 3 brands differ?

A second option is of course for us not to buy new, but to get a 70s Boler or Trillium and do whatever renos are needed from the frame up, which could be a good project. Then again a brand new trailer may end up costing the same as a refurbished rebuild

Thanks for any help and input. We can't wait to join the FGRV community!
Steffen:

I suggest you do a search on the FiberglassRV Forum for "Team Trillium" for the Canadian made Outback and "Trillium RV" for the American made Trillium and look at their websites, as a start.

You could compare that with a search on "Escape" and look at their website.

Escape has a wider product range, great products and a group of enthusiastic owners, and you can visit their manufacturing facility in Chilliwack to judge for yourself.

When I was searching for a trailer myself I went through a similar process and decided to order an Escape Trailer.

Brian
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Escape has a wider product range, great products and a group of enthusiastic owners, and you can visit their manufacturing facility in Chilliwack to judge for yourself.

When I was searching for a trailer myself I went through a similar process and decided to order an Escape Trailer.

Brian
Thank you Brian, for this input. I did compare as much as I could on the web level between the 3 Brands, also emailing each for their 'selling pitch versions' on why they believe they are the best choice. Haven't heard back from all yet.

Could you share why the Escape was the best match for you? What was it in particular you preferred in the Escape vs the others?

And yes it is a good idea for me to go out to the valley and take a look at their site. I'll do that mid January.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Steffen:

I have sent you a private message with my answer to your question.

Brian
Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Don't forget that Northern lite, better known for their truck campers also makes a trailer, in Kelowna. They have a dealer network, so there may be one at a dealer near you.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In our Resources section (left Nav bar) is a page of links to all the current molded trailer manufacturers. Ignore Bigfoot and Oliver, both are out of production.

Hopefully you will find some information you seek: All Current Manufacturer Links

Best is what's best for you based on floor plan, budget, tug capability and camping style. Compared to a frame built trailer, I personally don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.

Let us know what you decide.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hopefully you will find some information you seek: All Current Manufacturer Links
Team Trillium "Outback"
  • keep clicking on "Next" under photo to view interior photo gallery
the "New" Trillium (US)
  • click on Trillium 1300 interior
  • new window opens for photo gallery
Escape 13'
  • click on either "floor plan A" or "floor plan B"
  • click on camera icon inside floor plan
  • new window opens for photo gallery
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #8

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Team Trillium "Outback"
  • Fixed Front & Rear Windows
  • Sliding Side Windows
  • Marine quality carpeting on interior walls
  • [b]Fiberglass "furniture" with flat "standard" or [b]optional wood Cabinet Doors
  • 12 volt DC compressor fridge
  • Italian design two burner stove with sink (removable maple sink cover)
the "New" Trillium (US)
  • Jalousie Windows on all 4 sides
  • Smooth Vinyl on interior walls
  • [b]Fiberglass "furniture" with framed [b]wood Cabinet Doors
  • Additional open shelving around upper perimeter
  • 12 volt DC compressor fridge
  • Italian design <strike>two</strike> [b]three burner stove with sink (smoked glass hinged covers; both sink and stove)
Escape 13'
  • Fixed Front & Rear Windows
  • Sliding Side Windows
  • Smooth Vinyl on interior walls
  • [b]All Wood "furniture" with framed Cabinet Doors and laminate countertop
  • Additional enclosed cabinets at upper sides with open shelving front and rear
  • Conventional 3-way (propane/110volt AC/12 volt DC) fridge
  • Conventional two burner stove with separate sink (removable sink cover)
Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
That depends quite a bit on the trailer you buy and how you plan to refurbish it. We recently bought a (Trillium-like) Surfside that needs substantial TLC. It needs repairs to the shell, the floor replaced, a new axle, a new heater, new electrical, and we will completely re-do the cabinetry inside, and that will all take time and money, but even with all that we'll still spend less on it than buying a new Trillium because we're careful shoppers and will do almost all the work ourselves.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #10

Wow, this is a GREAT Forum indeed! Thank you all so much for your input and advice. Some very good comparatives here.

I will be looking at a pre-owned Trillium next week as well as drop by the Escape Factory to check them out. Right now my tendency is towards the "new" Trillium (if we buy new) of the three brands.

If it helps any other readers of this topic, I'll also post herein the replies received by the 3 current Manufacturers. Perhaps this'll be interresting to future 'new' buyers.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #11

Just as a comparative info (from the perspective of te "New" Trillium Manufacturer), for readers in a similar shopping mode to us, please see below the reply received from Tom Young as to the strengths of their product:

" I had hoped that BC would work out since I have so many customers & new inquiries from Canada.
Northern Lite: Much bigger & heavier. Not in the same class as Trillium
Escape: Wooden interior, less equipment, more money.
Outback: Less equipment, more moneyBoth Escape & Outback have similar shell construction, but there are significant differences. Let me know which you'd like a comparison on.
Scamp: Much inferior, doesn't offer the equipment, benefits, construction as Trillium

None offer a 7 year structural warranty. I appreciate your interest in the Trillium Line."

Tom has been very prompt and detailed in his replies to my inquiries.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Correction to post #8 for the US Trillium:

Trillium provides a 3 burner stove, not a 2 burner stove.

We really like our Trillium.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2974__Medium_.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #13

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Trillium provides a 3 burner stove, not a 2 burner stove.
I corrected it. The photo in my link shows the glass cover always closed. I guessed wrong.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #14

I may have this all wrong but from my reading, the 12 grand (no awning, furnace, or electric brakes) Trillium USA appears to be to be competitive to the $16,300 CAD escape plan A that comes with these three features. If you don't need those three, the Trillium USA seems like a good buy to me. I think both have the two year bumper to bumper warranty, if so, That sure is nice. take care.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote