Canadian sources for RV parts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Not sure if this info is already posted somewhere here. Whenever I order anything from the US, I always end up paying a small fortune in exchange rates, shipping fees and/or customs brokerage fees. Does anyone know any general RV supply shops in Ontario, or websites that ship from Canada.

The list of actual stores I've found things in so far include: Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Home Depot/Rona, but they don't much in the way of specific RV parts.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Another thought. Do you have any good friends or family on this side of the border? Perhaps they could make the purchase(s) and ship the item(s) to you as a "gift." By pass all the hassles of purchasing direct from someone in the U.S.

hummmm, almost sounds like a cottage business in the making!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 17 ft Boler
Hi Kevin;
Fraserway RV is pretty good and prices aren't to bad!
http://www.fraserway.com/content.asp?nav=1...;cpid=7828&
Happy Camping; Gord
Gord Plowright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I forget the name but there is a large RV dealer at the corner of hwys 89 and the 400. Our little Boler looked awful small in the midst of his humoungous beasties but we found them friendly and they have a large parts showroom.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
I forget the name but there is a large RV dealer at the corner of hwys 89 and the 400. Our little Boler looked awful small in the midst of his humoungous beasties but we found them friendly and they have a large parts showroom.

That would be RV Warehouse
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
... paying a small fortune in exchange rates, shipping fees and/or customs brokerage fees
Kevin

The first thing to do is by any mean NEVER involve Fedex and especially UPS in any purchase to the USA. Both companies are under many class actions for outrageous broker fees. I personally refuse to purchase if anything else than Canad Post or USPS is involved. Period. USPS and Canada Post will charge you a maximum of 5$ for normal purchase, sometimes nothing. It is as fast for comparable service.

You will for sure have to pay for exchange rates and GST and normal postal fees and according to my experience a big 5$ for custom broker fees. That"s it that's all. "Normally" with UPS you frequently end up with a a bill sometimes more expensive than what you buy!!!
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Quote:
The first thing to do is by any mean NEVER involve Fedex and especially UPS in any purchase to the USA. Both companies are under many class actions for outrageous broker fees. I personally refuse to purchase if anything else than Canad Post or USPS is involved. Period. USPS and Canada Post will charge you a maximum of 5$ for normal purchase, sometimes nothing. It is as fast for comparable service.

You will for sure have to pay for exchange rates and GST and normal postal fees and according to my experience a big 5$ for custom broker fees. That"s it that's all. "Normally" with UPS you frequently end up with a a bill sometimes more expensive than what you buy!!!
You're absolutely right,Norm.I have a small home-based busines, selling hobby metal detectors, and last Spring, I decided to put a booth into a local Trade Show.I asked one of my factory suppliers for some promotional items, freebies to hand out to the public. The factory came thru' with a very generous package of goodies, and clearly marked "free, No Charge" on the invoice.Everything arrived in time,by FEDEX for my Show, and all was well.
Then, several months later, Fedex sent me an invoice for about $87, for brokerage fees, etc, based on their evaluation of over $100 for my "free" stuff clearly marked so, on my factory invoice.
Arguing with Fedex proved useless, and on the advice of a friend who had gone thru' the same rip-off routine with Fedex, I gave up and paid the bill.
Never again, will I allow any goods to come to me by these courier "vultures"
Joe/Peterborough/ON
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Arguing with Fedex proved useless, and on the advice of a friend who had gone thru' the same rip-off routine with Fedex, I gave up and paid the bill.
Never again, will I allow any goods to come to me by these courier "vultures"
Joe/Peterborough/ON
I'm not disputing your right to be angry about what you think are absorbent charges, but I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

The postal service functions to deliver mail. Typically that's written communications, but also includes anything you can cram into a box (within legal limits) and weigh. The postal service doesn't automatically insure anything. If you want to be guaranteed delivery of an undamaged anything... you buy insurance. Nor is there any guarantee that you'll ever receive what you're mailing! Unless you pay for that too.

Package and freight carriers do not deliver postal mail, unless contracted through the postal service and that's to carry mail to a postal distribution center, not home delivery. Sending something through this carrier gives you a (minimum) guarantee your product will be delivered damage-free. Granted you have to file a claim, but it's part of the declared value of the product when shipping.

Then, you're dealing with two distinct countries and their governments, cost of doing business, and taxation. I'm not in the employ of FedEx or UPS. But am employed by a freight carrier incorporated in the U.S. that does business in Canada. I can't tell you specifics about what Canada charges my company to run our trucks down the Canadian highways, but I can tell you it's HUGE. All of these costs are then borne by the individual receiving a package. Even if you’re standing at the border and can see a FedEx/UPS distribution center 100 feet on the other side, as soon as a package crosses that border… all the expenses imposed by government entities are applied to the shipping cost. Postal services costs are borne by all tax payers in their respective countries, not by private industry.

Then there's customs to deal with. Actually there are fewer "packages" going by postal mail than by freight carrier, but proportionately there are more people employed to check mail for compliance than freight. Consequently you'll get your items faster and cheaper by mail.

Sorry this is long winded. Hope this explanation helps, even if it doesn't help with the costs!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Joseph,
Many have had the couriers waive the brokerage fees by arguing that you never contracted with them to do the brokerage services. If you have not previously used them for brokerage, they are supposed to contact you first.

Kevin,
This link is a yellow pages .ca search for RV in Ontario

Most places use the GoRV service in the link Gord Provided.

Mantelli Trailer Sales in NY is good to work with. Depending on the size and weight, they will mail. For larger items, they will ship using other services. Considering they are not too far from the border a day trip to Buffalo for beer and wings or shopping at the outlet malls is always a good reason to cross border.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #10

Forgot to mention that most marine places sell stuff that works in our trailer.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I used to live here. The people who own this place are nice folks. They have a great selection of parts.
http://www.snowypeaksrv.ca/
Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
That would be RV Warehouse
Thanks Carol Ann
Put that down to "Seniors Thinking"
Along the same line .......What is the name of the place in Orangeville? I had a great little catalog from them last year but it's gone with the memories.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #13

Hughes RV?
http://www.hughesrv.com/
Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Hey Kevin,
I use marine stores, lots in town here and some times hardware and other related parts can be used.

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There are a LOT of parallels between the Marine and RV worlds -- And a lot of RV-applicable advice tucked away in West Marine's West Advisor.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Hughes RV?
http://www.hughesrv.com/

Yup! That's the one.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry

You might find this handy especially if looking for parts for older trillium trailers and bolers. They also purchase as manufacturers and have an extensive array of suppliers for anything you might want for your fgrv.

www.trilliumtrailers.com/

Team Trillium Trailers Manufacturing Ltd.

Bay 1, 285145 Wrangler Way SE
Rockyview (Calgary)
Alberta, Canada
T1X 0K3

Phone: (403) 398-8732
Fax: (403) 569-8008

Hours of Operation:

Monday to Friday - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm (Mountain Standard Time)

I hope this helps

Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I'm not disputing your right to be angry about what you think are absorbent charges, but I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

The postal service functions to deliver mail. Typically that's written communications, but also includes anything you can cram into a box (within legal limits) and weigh. The postal service doesn't automatically insure anything. If you want to be guaranteed delivery of an undamaged anything... you buy insurance. Nor is there any guarantee that you'll ever receive what you're mailing! Unless you pay for that too.

Package and freight carriers do not deliver postal mail, unless contracted through the postal service and that's to carry mail to a postal distribution center, not home delivery. Sending something through this carrier gives you a (minimum) guarantee your product will be delivered damage-free. Granted you have to file a claim, but it's part of the declared value of the product when shipping.

Then, you're dealing with two distinct countries and their governments, cost of doing business, and taxation. I'm not in the employ of FedEx or UPS. But am employed by a freight carrier incorporated in the U.S. that does business in Canada. I can't tell you specifics about what Canada charges my company to run our trucks down the Canadian highways, but I can tell you it's HUGE. All of these costs are then borne by the individual receiving a package. Even if you’re standing at the border and can see a FedEx/UPS distribution center 100 feet on the other side, as soon as a package crosses that border… all the expenses imposed by government entities are applied to the shipping cost. Postal services costs are borne by all tax payers in their respective countries, not by private industry.

Then there's customs to deal with. Actually there are fewer "packages" going by postal mail than by freight carrier, but proportionately there are more people employed to check mail for compliance than freight. Consequently you'll get your items faster and cheaper by mail.

Sorry this is long winded. Hope this explanation helps, even if it doesn't help with the costs!
Its not the amount of money that bothers me, its the fact that it is hidden.

Scenario: I buy a $100 coat from the US. UPS states that the shipping cost is $22. I pay the store $122 for my purchase. UPS shows up at my door in Canada with their hand out, asking for an additional $87 for brokerage???? Ridiculous.

Fedex does the exact same thing, but with a twist. They deliver the coat, and then 2 months later they send a letter in the mail from some unknown company asking for $87 and don't even tell you why. Also ridiculous.

If Fedex or UPS ever wanted to play fair, they would say "Hey your $100 coat will cost $109 to ship it." I would then tell them that I did not want to buy it. But when they say it will cost one thing, and then charge another, then that is criminal.

USPS or Canada post only for me. I refuse to use UPS or Fedex for inter-country shipping too, just out of spite. I have not purchased items from stores that only use UPS, I just look around and buy it somewhere else.

Steve Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
If Fedex or UPS ever wanted to play fair, they would say "Hey your $100 coat will cost $109 to ship it." I would then tell them that I did not want to buy it. But when they say it will cost one thing, and then charge another, then that is criminal.
Both UPS and Fedex have international services that include brokerage, but be forwarned there is a COD fee tacked on to collect the taxes due on delivery unless you have previously set up payment arrangements with them. Most people don't understand the expensive international services include brokerage fees.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
I've since learned that you get around paying the high brokerage fee if you pick up the paperwork from UPS or Fedex, take it to a Canada customs office yourself, pay the customs fee/gst, take your receipt back to the courier, then pick up your package. Not sure if they'll still charge some extra holding or COD fee. You have to pre-arrange all this as well.

It is upsetting that neither the sellers or the courier companies ever mention this brokerage fee to you.

I just recieved an email back from Scamp parts telling me that they will indeed ship parts to me via USPS unless they are too large, then they have to use a courier. Not sure what the cutoff size/weight is but I'll find out before ordering.

In the meantime, I'll check out some of these local places. Or, start thinking about how to make friends south of the 49th... hmm, maybe we could start attending egg gatherings down there with bottles of real Canadian maple syrup...

thanks,

Kevin