Casita 17 - Cover - spirit deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Casita 17 - Cover - spirit deluxe

I did see a thread on covers recently - but a search didn't show it. I have a birthday coming up and my present is going to be a good cover for our new fiberglass. It rains a lot in Anacortes and I want it snug. I had an inexpensive one for our 13 Burro - but this time I want one with the door matching the cover door and the ability to easily strap it down snug and still access that door. I'd like it to look neat and fitted instead of sloppy (I know - picky me - but Benjamin will be sitting outside our house and I'd like it to look nice.) Suggestions for a Casita 17 spirit deluxe?
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
AFAIK, CalMark covers are the nicest. CalMark Cover Co - Custom RV Covers for Travel Trailers, Campers, Motorhomes, Casita & Scamp RV Covers They seem expensive but they fit perfectly and the material seems durable. We've had ours for several years and it does not seem to have deteriorated.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
AFAIK, CalMark covers are the nicest. CalMark Cover Co - Custom RV Covers for Travel Trailers, Campers, Motorhomes, Casita & Scamp RV Covers They seem expensive but they fit perfectly and the material seems durable. We've had ours for several years and it does not seem to have deteriorated.
Thanks Shelby. I saw CalMark on line while searching and they do look nice. I'll email them for a quote. Great information on durability and fit.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
We've had our Calmark cover for about a year and 1/2 and it has done a good job for us. Custom fit so it's a snug fit and the fabric is not showing any wear. Highly recommend.
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Not sure how your climate is, but there are plenty comments on other threads regarding pain mounting/accessing/useful life to have us shopping for a roof instead of a cover.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Definitely would prefer a roof but I live in a neighborhood where anything short of an additional garage would not be welcome. The CalMark has a zipper for the door. Easy access but of course you can't run the A/C or fridge with the cover on. I don't have any trouble installing or removing it, there is a procedure. The cover needs to be dry before you remove it and fold it up. That requires some planning ahead. At my age, even if my cover wears out, one replacement would get me through my RVing years
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Name: minnie
Trailer: burro 17' 1986
wa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
I did see a thread on covers recently - but a search didn't show it. I have a birthday coming up and my present is going to be a good cover for our new fiberglass. It rains a lot in Anacortes and I want it snug. I had an inexpensive one for our 13 Burro - but this time I want one with the door matching the cover door and the ability to easily strap it down snug and still access that door. I'd like it to look neat and fitted instead of sloppy (I know - picky me - but Benjamin will be sitting outside our house and I'd like it to look nice.) Suggestions for a Casita 17 spirit deluxe?
Hi,
I was wondering did covering your Burro save the finish or scuff it up. I have a 1986, 17' Burro siting outside up here in Bellingham, WA. Weather is relentless at times. My husband say's no cover is better, I disagree. I used plastic tarps one year and they did rub off the finish. I think a cover would look nicer and would be easier on the finish.
What's your opinion? Also, is the 13' Burro for sale? Also where did you find the Burro cover?

Thanks for any info on the subject.
minnie r. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie r. View Post
Hi,
I was wondering did covering your Burro save the finish or scuff it up. I have a 1986, 17' Burro siting outside up here in Bellingham, WA. Weather is relentless at times. My husband say's no cover is better, I disagree. I used plastic tarps one year and they did rub off the finish. I think a cover would look nicer and would be easier on the finish.
What's your opinion? Also, is the 13' Burro for sale? Also where did you find the Burro cover?

The Burro isn't for sale. It was adopted by my brother and is living on Mt. St. Helens happily in a snug shed.

Thanks for any info on the subject.
The cover did not scuff up my fiberglass. I imagine a regular tarp or heavy canvas might. But if it is waxed and you choose a light weight one like we did off amazon, it should be fine.

My greatest enemy was the rain and not scuffing. I am in Anacortes and we get nearly the same amount of rain as you do plus the gale winds. Here is the deal. My Bennie the Burro was a well loved '82. I had to replace half the floor because of a leak draining between the inside and outside hull. It dripped into the back side area under our bed. Because it was enclosed in the fiberglass benches and covered with our mattress, I didn't spot the problem until too late. I pulled and redid the floor and the back and side windows with butal tape but the floor redo apparently shifted the frame just enough to cause a leak in the front area-again between the walls dripping into the front enclosed area this time. I caught it in plenty of time to avoid a new problem, but decided enough! My handsome 13 footer was covered unless in use.

I ordered the CalMark cover for our '17 foot Casita yesterday. You are welcome to come check it out when it arrives if you are interested. It is heavier than what we had for Bennie, but they seem to cut the cloth to fit and the straps should keep the gusty wind from causing the damaging rub. (Hope springs eternal.)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Definitely would prefer a roof but I live in a neighborhood where anything short of an additional garage would not be welcome. The CalMark has a zipper for the door. Easy access but of course you can't run the A/C or fridge with the cover on. I don't have any trouble installing or removing it, there is a procedure. The cover needs to be dry before you remove it and fold it up. That requires some planning ahead. At my age, even if my cover wears out, one replacement would get me through my RVing years
I would also love a roof, but I want the casita at home and a roof just isn't going to happen. I too am thinking one or two covers will take me to the end of my travel trailer life.

Tags
casita