Casita Carnage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Whew!! Glad to hear you were OK; good thing you were using a large TV when this happened! Looks to me like the wrap of metal on top of the frame was the only thing that was holding it for some time. The edge of the two square tubes looks rusty, the only fresh metal is the rip on top. Was the frame extended at some time in the past?
I'll echo Cam here...glad no-one was hurt! He is certainly right about the wrap being the only fresh tear, and the location would have made seeing the potential problem very unlikely in any inspection. I hope your repairs go well, best of luck!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Yipes!

Glad it turned out "okay!" Thanks for sharing your story!

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #17

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Odem,Texas
Send a message via AIM to Phil Underwood
Quote:
YEOW! I double the posts saying "Thank goodness no one was hurt"! Phil, just out of curiosity how fast do you think you were driving and was the trailer towed level?

65mph and towed 100% level..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #18

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
How scarey! Glad no one was hurt. Would seem to be one more thing to look at during the pre-trip walk around inspection but as was previously pointed out, might not show up, at least on a casual look.
Hang in there!
Connie
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #19

Odem,Texas
Quote:
Whew!! Glad to hear you were OK; good thing you were using a large TV when this happened! Looks to me like the wrap of metal on top of the frame was the only thing that was holding it for some time. The edge of the two square tubes looks rusty, the only fresh metal is the rip on top. Was the frame extended at some time in the past?
i could only imagine what the outcome would have been if we were towing with a small truck.. Not sure on the frame, but it looks like there has been some welding done on it in the past...
I for one will only use a Bull Dog clamp style hitch for now on, and I'll be sure and weld it on my self
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
That's one scary looking failure, and it does appear to simply be the coupler which failed structurally (not the frame, or the attachment of the coupler to the frame, or the coupler latch, etc).

Since this is the only example I've seen of a coupler structurally failing (I'm sure there have been lots, but they're not so common that I've noticed any mention of them), I'm not jumping to the conclusion that I should use some particular style. The problem may have been caused in installation, in operation (at some point in the past), or in a manufacturing fault that doesn't affect other units of the same design or brand.... we just don't know. I may even already have a better coupler - mine is an Atwood with 2" ball socket, 5000 lb trailer capacity, and 700 lb tongue weight capacity; what was this one?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...Looks to me like the wrap of metal on top of the frame was the only thing that was holding it for some time. The edge of the two square tubes looks rusty, the only fresh metal is the rip on top. Was the frame extended at some time in the past?
Quote:
I'll echo Cam here... He is certainly right about the wrap being the only fresh tear, and the location would have made seeing the potential problem very unlikely in any inspection...
I'll agree that the frame tube ends do not appear to be freshly torn or otherwise failed... but I doubt they have failed at all. It is quite routine for the ends of the A-frame rails to simply end under the coupler like that - they do on my Boler B1700 - so my guess is that's probably what they have always looked like.

The coupler metal does appear to me to be freshly exposed all the way around - noting that it extends only down about the height of the top tube, not both of the tubes - as shown in this annotated version of the posted photo:

Name:   CouplerAndFrameTubeEnds.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  22.2 KB

Personally, I'm not surprised that if the coupler were to fail, it would do so at the tube ends, where the stress would be high.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm in agreement with Brian that the failure was the coupler frame itself and not the trailer frame or the welding. Likewise, this is the only time I have ever heard of an actual coupler failure. I would expect that there may have been some small tears in the bottom of one or both sides of the coupler frame, but it would likely have taken a close inspection to have seen them, presuming they even existed.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #23

Odem,Texas
Quote:
I'm in agreement with Brian that the failure was the coupler frame itself and not the trailer frame or the welding. Likewise, this is the only time I have ever heard of an actual coupler failure. I would expect that there may have been some small tears in the bottom of one or both sides of the coupler frame, but it would likely have taken a close inspection to have seen them, presuming they even existed.
nice post Brian..
All i can say is that the metal on the coupler was very thin, and this was a 1 7/8 ball..
when i rewelded it added some reinforement plates all the way around.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
As pilots like to say, "There's only one bad landing, the one you don't walk away from."

Thank God you had a "good landing" Phil.

Look forward to the putting it back together pics.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #25

Odem,Texas
Quote:
As pilots like to say, "There's only one bad landing, the one you don't walk away from."

Thank God you had a "good landing" Phil.

Look forward to the putting it back together pics.
thanks for the support and nice replys, the people on this forum are great...
good news, we are heading out this weekend to pick up a 2000 17ft Casita this weekend... So we can still enjoy camping while we repair the 84 16ft Casita
Old 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #26

Name: Blair
Trailer: Evelands Inc. Scamp 5vr
CONGRATULATIONS, just in time to join us in Matagorda.

Blair
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, Phil - there were/are so many things to be grateful for here ... you are safe, others unharmed, TV undamaged, etc. Congrats on finding that replacement 17-footer. Wishing you a successful rehab of the '84, safe journeys and happy holidays! L 'n D
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #28

Odem,Texas
thanks guys...

im working on Denise for the matagorda trip, but she has some scrapbooking party the same weekend.. So im trying to get her to cancel that so we can go hang out with all fiberglass camping friends

Tags
casita