Casita Carnage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Looks to me like the wrap of metal on top of the frame was the only thing that was holding it for some time. The edge of the two square tubes looks rusty, the only fresh metal is the rip on top. Was the frame extended at some time in the past?
Quote:
I'll echo Cam here... He is certainly right about the wrap being the only fresh tear, and the location would have made seeing the potential problem very unlikely in any inspection...
I'll agree that the frame tube ends do not appear to be freshly torn or otherwise failed... but I doubt they have failed at all. It is quite routine for the ends of the A-frame rails to simply end under the coupler like that - they do on my Boler B1700 - so my guess is that's probably what they have always looked like.

The coupler metal does appear to me to be freshly exposed all the way around - noting that it extends only down about the height of the top tube, not both of the tubes - as shown in this annotated version of the posted photo:

Name:   CouplerAndFrameTubeEnds.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  22.2 KB

Personally, I'm not surprised that if the coupler were to fail, it would do so at the tube ends, where the stress would be high.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm in agreement with Brian that the failure was the coupler frame itself and not the trailer frame or the welding. Likewise, this is the only time I have ever heard of an actual coupler failure. I would expect that there may have been some small tears in the bottom of one or both sides of the coupler frame, but it would likely have taken a close inspection to have seen them, presuming they even existed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Quote:
I'm in agreement with Brian that the failure was the coupler frame itself and not the trailer frame or the welding. Likewise, this is the only time I have ever heard of an actual coupler failure. I would expect that there may have been some small tears in the bottom of one or both sides of the coupler frame, but it would likely have taken a close inspection to have seen them, presuming they even existed.
nice post Brian..
All i can say is that the metal on the coupler was very thin, and this was a 1 7/8 ball..
when i rewelded it added some reinforement plates all the way around.
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
As pilots like to say, "There's only one bad landing, the one you don't walk away from."

Thank God you had a "good landing" Phil.

Look forward to the putting it back together pics.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #25

Quote:
As pilots like to say, "There's only one bad landing, the one you don't walk away from."

Thank God you had a "good landing" Phil.

Look forward to the putting it back together pics.
thanks for the support and nice replys, the people on this forum are great...
good news, we are heading out this weekend to pick up a 2000 17ft Casita this weekend... So we can still enjoy camping while we repair the 84 16ft Casita
Old 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
CONGRATULATIONS, just in time to join us in Matagorda.

Blair
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, Phil - there were/are so many things to be grateful for here ... you are safe, others unharmed, TV undamaged, etc. Congrats on finding that replacement 17-footer. Wishing you a successful rehab of the '84, safe journeys and happy holidays! L 'n D
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #28

thanks guys...

im working on Denise for the matagorda trip, but she has some scrapbooking party the same weekend.. So im trying to get her to cancel that so we can go hang out with all fiberglass camping friends
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Wink

phil! you and the missus want to go down to matagorda with us????
we have an 85 Scamp 13 with working bunks and don't mind sharing quarters!
Might take your mind off things for awhile!
We could swing by and pick you all up or meet somewhere.
Let me know. We plan to leave for down there on morning of 6th.

bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #30

Quote:
phil! you and the missus want to go down to matagorda with us????
we have an 85 Scamp 13 with working bunks and don't mind sharing quarters!
Might take your mind off things for awhile!
We could swing by and pick you all up or meet somewhere.
Let me know. We plan to leave for down there on morning of 6th.
thats what im talking about.. The people on this forum are great.. Thanks for the offer Bill and Sandra but we are heading out friday to pick up a 17ft Casita here is a pic of it...
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #31

Trailer: Trillium
Also glad nobody was hurt. What is a Bull Dog clamp style hitch? Can anyone suggest preventive measures to keep this from happening to someone else? It worries me!

Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
thats what im talking about.. The people on this forum are great.. Thanks for the offer Bill and Sandra but we are heading out friday to pick up a 17ft Casita here is a pic of it...
So Phil, this one looks pretty nice, when you fix the other one up gonna keep em both or sell one? Which one do you think you'd sell?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #33

Quote:
So Phil, this one looks pretty nice, when you fix the other one up gonna keep em both or sell one? Which one do you think you'd sell?

no idea... i know we dont need two of em..
the 17ft doesnt have a bathroom/shower , but has king size bed and bunkbeds..

Prolly get rid of the 16ft... may not even fix it... just sell it as is
Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #34

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Sure glad no one was hurt. Your tow definately was an advantage. I also agree that the bulldog hitch is the only way to go. They are strong made out of cast iron, and have a very secure latching system. Many industrial trailers use the bulldog hitch. I have one on my Compact II.
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #35

Quote:
What is a Bull Dog clamp style hitch?
Bulldog is one of the Cequent brands of towing equipment. They make more than one style of coupler (note: not "hitch"), but the one they are known for has a "clamp" design; their distinctive "clamp" style is actually forged, while they also have a more conventional cast line. The Bulldog web site leads to the Cequent catalog (showing both Bulldog styles), and the Oliver Legacy site shows the forged unit on their moulded fiberglass travel trailer.

The Bulldog "clamp" design has one side of the socket opening on a hinge, and holds it closed with a sliding collar.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Can anyone suggest preventive measures to keep this from happening to someone else?
With no information about what caused the failure, or even what brand or rating of coupler was involved, it's hard for me to imagine how an appropriate preventative measure could be determined.

While this failure is certainly scary, it is so extraordinarily rare that I'm not worried about it.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #37

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Wink

Quote:
ultra cool! you comin' down! we'd all love to give you some hugs you might need!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
All i can say is that the metal on the coupler was very thin, and this was a 1 7/8 ball..
when i rewelded it added some reinforement plates all the way around.
That may be the answer -- Typically, 1 7/8" balls and couplers are actually only rated (see stamps in metal) for 2,000 lbs. A quick look indicates that they might not even make the A-frame coupler in 1 7/8" any more.

I replaced my 1 7/8" standard ball for one from UHaul that's rated for 5,000 lbs, as are many of the multi-ball hitch heads.

Some years ago, Casita uprated even the C13 to a 2" setup and I believe Scamp has recently done likewise. Once again we are seeing the effect of options and personal cargo on the actual, scale weight of the trailers, compared to the "paper" weights of the past.

It would be informative to get the actual weight of the trailer once it has been repaired, although the coupler may have been stressed by a previous owner by overloading or waaaay too much tongue weight.

Anyone out there with a 1 7/8" coupler on a 16' or larger trailer, or on a heavy 13' trailer should keep a close eye on all the components. Or consider upsizing to a 2" coupler and ball.

BTW, Bulldog apparently makes several styles of couplers, but even the ones with the forged clamp seem to use sheet metal at the same place where this coupler failed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #39

Quote:
That may be the answer -- Typically, 1 7/8" balls and couplers are actually only rated (see stamps in metal) for 2,000 lbs. A quick look indicates that they might not even make the A-frame coupler in 1 7/8" any more.

Some years ago, Casita uprated even the C13 to a 2" setup and I believe Scamp has recently done likewise. Once again we are seeing the effect of options and personal cargo on the actual, scale weight of the trailers, compared to the "paper" weights of the past.
nice info Pete, thanks for sharing...

Bill & Sandra , a big thank you goes out to you guys
Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #40

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am wondering if in your rigs former life it was jack knifed or somehow other stressed at that point but did not break. Leaving you with the surprise when it finally failed from added stresses.

My Coleman had the coupler tweaked and the former owner fully disclosed that it was torqued when she backed into a wall. It was a straight coupler tho, like a Uhaul.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita