casita carpet replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am considering buying a 1986 Casita with the old blue carpet in it. Has anybody ever ripped out the old carpet and replaced it or know how one would go about doing it?
thanks
Ted
Ted Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ted, I owned a 86 with the same lovely blue carpet.................... ( Ick! ) LOL. I searched many options for changing it out. A few people have tackled the project putting carpet back in. I was told its very hard! I didn't want to go that direction, so searched alternative options. Several suggetions when I asked the same question ranging from useing a product like rat fur (Scamps) etc. I talked with a custom car guy and he suggested tuck and roll, car headliner stuff. I was even considering decopauge as one member here had done her's that way, though if I remember right she painted it, I wouldn't have painted, just left brown paper or speciality paper (cheap and easy, as well as fixable if issues arise down the road). Anyway heres a link to the question I posted on the same subject. I personally got out of the project cause not long after the 86 casita purchase we found a newer version. Or you can look at it like Mary F suggested, It's sculpted! Makes it sound more classy ............. I know that cleaning it with a steam cleaner will go along way in making 25 year old carpeting look and smell a lot better. Robin

Carpet topic
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Has anybody ever ripped out the old carpet and replaced it or know how one would go about doing it?
Since the carpet is the [b]First thing installed, the [b]entire interior needs to be gutted out. If you have a Deluxe model with a bathroom, the carpet is even behind the bathroom walls. This would be a HUGE undertaking that I would only consider IF:
  1. The carpet is wet, moldy, and delaminating off of the interior
  2. I had at least one other person to help
  3. I set aside considerable time to accomplish it. It is NOT a "weekend project."
Old 08-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I have seen a lot of people replace the carpet with something else on this site. I am assuming that they are just cutting the carpet where it goes underneath stuff and just leaving it there and covering only the middle, visible portion. Am I right? I would like to replace the carpet with something else in mine but I'm not doing it if I have to pull everything up. No way!

Quote:
Since the carpet is the [b]First thing installed, the [b]entire interior needs to be gutted out. If you have a Deluxe model with a bathroom, the carpet is even behind the bathroom walls. This would be a HUGE undertaking that I would only consider IF:
  1. The carpet is wet, moldy, and delaminating off of the interior
  2. I had at least one other person to help
  3. I set aside considerable time to accomplish it. It is NOT a "weekend project."

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, now are you talking about carpet on the walls or carpet on the floor? Frederick was talking about wall carpet and Bryan was talking about carpet on the floor. Two different conditions. If you don't like the color of the carpet on the wall...dye it! Phillip dyed the carpet in his 1983 13' Casita

1983 13' Casita Remodel
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #6

Good question Donna,

You know I assumed it was the walls! Cause I know how much I liked the blue walls. That's the first thing I thought of. I do know the carpet on the floor in our 86 was more like a loop/outdoor carpet with rubber backing that had totally desinagrated. Easy to remove and replace with tile, wood, etc.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I bet it is the walls, Robin.

There was a Casita for sale here very recently with the all-over blue sculpted wall carpet; maybe that's the one our poster is considering. Probably replacing floor carpet wouldn't be such a mystery as to how (although we do need to clarify with the original poster -- good point, Donna).

That wall carpet on the early Casitas sure is "Carpet-A-riffic"
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
That wall carpet on the early Casitas sure is "Carpet-A-riffic"
Not so much Raya!
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Not so much Raya!
I am talking about the wall carpet. I am thinking an alternative to replacement may be covering with burlap material or even something like earth painted rawhide either of which could be attached with velcro. As anybody ever did anything like that
Ted Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #10

Yep my money was on the walls, But no I haven't heard of anyone using velcro. Not sure how it would look. I wonder how tight/flat you could get it? Well if you go thru with the project, please post pics. One thing for sure is you would want something that is cleanable with some insulation properties. Best of Luck!

Tags
casita