Casita Closet Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Shelia
Trailer: Wannabe owner
Texas
Casita Closet and Bathroom Door Questions

I'm assuming the closet doors are the same on all the models that have the AC underneath. Looking at buying a 16' Liberty.

Question - what are the measurements of the closet door? I found a mirror at Target that has storage behind it - for jewelry, makeup, whatever.

Second question - I was thinking about attaching some kind of storage system to the bathroom door. Specifically for a basket or three of fresh fruits and vegetables and maybe a few hooks for pot holders or whatever. I've never seen anyone hang more than a mirror on it. Perhaps the hinges are fragile and it won't hold much weight?

Obviously the bathroom door would have to be closed to use the storage when cooking, and anything mounted on the door would have to clear the base and upper cabinet. I really like the "Peg it all" system where it's like a pegboard with holes but uses large dowels to hold items, which you can adjust ad infinitum for your own use. There are also fabric "baskets" you can get that will hang on two dowels.

Any thoughts on this?
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
The closet door on my 16er measures 38x17". I'd be cautious about how much weight you add to either doors especially while underway. The hinges are not the strongest and the screws holding the hinges have a tendency to come adrift from the sawdust and glue "wood" used for the doors. The depth of anything hung on the closet door should be rather shallow since that door swings toward the entrance door. The same clearance issues exist on the bath door. I've a wave3 heater mounted on the bottom of mine and often need to use a bungee cord to hold it open for showering.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
One of our doors never closed right again, apparently from too much weigh on it from a heavy wet towel brought in when it rained.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We just keep fresh fruit and other non-refrigerated foods in a "milk crate" in the trunk of our TV car. Inside our trailer, a 13' Scamp, we have found plastic "shoe boxes" , whole size and half size, are very handy to store all kinds of things. They are modular and fit in the closet, under the sink and under the benches. (The photo shows many sizes of plastic boxes from The Container Store in a home setting. The last photo shows shoe boxes under my trailer sink.) Some might use a hanging fruit basket or hammock but I'm always leery of drilling holes in the trailer fiberglass and I wonder if the major rocking when under tow would weaken the fastener, never mind fruit all over the floor!

Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 038.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sheila

My thoughts are to first find and buy a Casita before getting accessories for it.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Name: kc
Trailer: shopping
Louisiana
Due to the placement on the far right of the trailer and no room behind I don't think you be happy with a mirro on the closet door the door opens swings right which means you have to stand outside to see what you look like anything hung on either door would swing and leave half moon marks
kcwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you want a mirror in the trailer it should be non-breakable and lightweight. Plastic mirrors should fill the bill. When camping, I feel I only need to look at my face/hair as I am camping, after all. I simply took a mirror meant for a school locker and attached it to the inside of one of the cabinet doors over the kitchenette on my Scamp. You can get these at drugstores, dollar stores, Target, office supply stores, etc. Now that school is starting it should be easy to find them. While these mirrors usually come with a magnet backing, you could attach yours with mounting tape, Velcro, Command strips, or Gorilla glue. I say Gorilla glue because it foams up a bit to fill in uneven surfaces. I believe you can get plastic mirrors, cut to size, from plastic supply houses such as TAP plastics.

approximately 7 1/2" x 10 3/8"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita