Casita or Scamp??? Hmmm - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 'Spirit Deluxe
Charlie -

Welcome to the Scamp branch of the Fiberglass Family...

If you are free, pencil in the weekend of Sept 17th or so for a gathering up at Burney Falls - outside of Redding. Would love to have you come by!

Alan.....thank you for the welcome !! Thank you for the invite to Burney as well !!

I was up that way last June.....stayed at Hereford Ranch. I was there with the NCFFB. (Northern California Fly Fishing Board.) Been going up that way for years (to Hereford) with the NCFFB. It is beautiful !! Good fishing too. I'll go ahead and make reservations. I'd love to see a bunch of FG trailers in one place !!

I look forward to meeting you....we are neighbors in the Valley !

charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Trailer: 1997 Scamp 13 ft
Did you buy your camper yet?

I'm not exactly an egg expert, BUT, I bought a used Scamp with the plan to upgrade later to a Casita or Bigfoot once we knew what we liked. There are some distinct differences in the construction and quality between the different campers. It's not just about size

The Scamp; just telling it like it is, is of a lower quality of construction. The craftsmanship is just okay, not on par with Casita. That said, they are the lightest primarilly due to their construction. Personally, I wouldn't get another Scamp, but then that's from having worked on one that had issues due to poor design and construction

The Bigfoots are well made, well designed, and are true four season campers, but that comes at a cost. The compromise would be the Casita, decent quality, decent price, lots of used ones available. I'd go for the 17' without a second thought, better resale, better head room, better options in windows and appliances.

I will say that buying a camper used, then doing some renovations, it pays off in learning the curve and figuring out what "floats your boat". I now believe that I could survive nicely in three and a half seasons with a fantastic fan, good sleeping bags, a quartz heater, and an ice box, and then just think of all the storage you gain and all the issues you lose!!

Ben Kadas is offline   Reply With Quote

casita, scamp