Catalytic Heaters Pros/Cons HELP - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We own a portable catalytic heater, a great heater for silently producing a lot of heat. We sometimes carry it with us if we're expecting a particularly cold location while boondocking or when going to really out of the way places.

Our general rule is to not run any heater when asleep other than the electric blanket. We simply do not like the trailer 'jet engine like', start and stop nature of the typical trailer propane heater and never use it. Secondarily even with all the backup systems including our CO detector and an Oxygen depletion shutoff control we would not feel comfortable running a catalytic heater while sleeping.

Sometimes we'll run an electric heater if it's extremely cold but usually turning it on just an hour or so before we get out of bed. Saying that, if we know the temps are going to be really low we seek a powered situation if possible.

If connected to power the twin sized electric blanket is more than adequate down to any temperature we're likely to be camping in... outside temps in the teens F. While boondocking on occasion we'll run the electric blanket off an Inverter, at least initially to make things toasty warm before getting into bed.

All in all it's interesting how little heat it takes to make the small volume of the trailer comfortable at most outside temperatures. Ginny jokes that making a cup of tea in the morning heats the place up, certainly making breakfast does.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
We bought a used Olympian Wave 3 and mounted it under the closet. Seems like the best place in a 13 footer. It works well in that location and keeps us toasty warm even with a couple of windows cracked. Good to be safe but don't over think it.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peterson View Post
We bought a used Olympian Wave 3 and mounted it under the closet. Seems like the best place in a 13 footer. It works well in that location and keeps us toasty warm even with a couple of windows cracked. Good to be safe but don't over think it.
Exactly- and succinctly!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I believe we are unlikely to hear from those who turned out to be wrong in their opposing view.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #19

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Thanks everyone. Hood to know about the condensation issues. I have the elephant skin interior which makes condensation issues even worse

Jeff do you have pix? And is it ever "in the way"? Also how did you run your gas line to that area?

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #20

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
TJ,
If you opt for permenant mount rather than foot mount/portable the clearance specifications follow:
Sides 4"
Bottom 4"
Top 18"
Front 30"
Back zero inches
Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My cat heater's under the closet, too, which is where the original heater was, so the gas plumbing was already there.

Code for RV gas lines requires feeds to be run on the outside of the rig and all connections to be readily accessible. Most outside lines are of course on the underside- I'm betting that if you've got gas appliances already, that's where you'll see your line, which is probably the approved copper. Adding a leg to your heater-spot should be no big deal- just make sure to do so on a route that protects it from damage. Flexible lines aren't approved for this kind of permanent connection past the regulator-to-trailer connection on an RV- no big deal since compression fittings for copper make the install much easier than if one had to use sweated-on fittings.

Also:

You haven't said if you've actually lit/tested the heater in question...I encourage you to do so before you begin an install since due to its age and concomitant possible dirt contamination, the heater may not function properly.

Per condensation:
You haven't posted a pic of your heater so I don't know if this would be practical for you, but mine is shaped so that I can set a heat-powered fan atop it, which greatly reduces interior condensation and also helps re. even heat distribution. I'll post a pic if you're interested in seeing that setup.

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #22

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Here are a couple shots:
Attached Thumbnails
image-3745163749.jpg   image-3091214869.jpg  

Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I had one just like that in a self contained slide in Camper I had.
The only problem I had was it warmed us up to much if I forgot to put it on low.
I gave the camper to a nephew and he said it's still working.

John