Caulk on the belly band? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That Proflex looks good.

But why would you think it's no good for leak-prone applications? The literature says it's good that way. (I sure wouldn't use it for gasketing on windows etc.. nothin' but butyl tape'll do for that!)

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You misunderstood, this is an "over" the top application, rather than "under" application. In some instances butyl would be more appropriate, but I'd never use this kind of thing to seal windows or even a belly band. "Fix it right or go home" as they say. I believe a normal Scamp belly band doesn't even "need" it, I'm going to use it for asthetic and "keeping clean" purposes.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gihuff View Post
Was wondering if these scamps left the factory totally free of ANY caulk?
Been removing the silicone caulk from the belly band of my 5th wheel as it has discolored and looks terrible. Any hints on how to better remove silicone caulk? Have the usual removal tools, anything that dissolves it, softens it etc.? Do I need to re caulk it? (bought it this weekend from original owner 2004)

thx, John
The "Bellyband" caulk on a Scamp serves a purpose.
The two halves are fiberglassed together and the bellyband is added for cosmetic purposes since the bodywork would otherwise be too expensive and difficult for production purposes.
The caulk (white not clear) seals the top of the band, otherwise dirt and water would get under the band and cause a terrible case of black streaking down the lower half of the trailer. So the caulk saves a lot of elbow grease.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I will use Pro-Flex, if it will stick
Pro Flex RV Flexible Sealant looks reasonable for this purpose to me, but I have never used it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There are a number of good caulks available (NO silicone), and Floyd is right... caulk on the Scamp belly band probably prevents dirty runs. BUT, it's NOT needed to prevent leaks... it's purely used for asthetic purposes. And that's a good enough reason to me, to score out the old and replace it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #20

Name: JW
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
proflex?

Does proflex hold up as far as yellowing, turning black etc.? Is is more of a latex base?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #21

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi John, welcome to silly-cone 'EL. It's a PITA. I've yet to see any new trailer that doesn't have some sort of caulk around the belly band. Believe it or not, it does serve a purpose, just not a sealing purpose. Once you get it off, you'll see a "ditch" between the belly band and the body. That area will fill with dirt, tiny twigs, moss, etc. The caulk actually keeps it much, much cleaner.
I've been thoroughly cleaning my Scamp over the past 2 weeks. It looks like there are a few places where some silicone caulk was added and i'll get to removing that BUT i second Donna on the amount of stuff that gets in the belly band. When i turn the hose on 'jet' and put it close to the band all kinds of organic stuff comes out. More than you would think could fit in there. Leaves, moldy weed things, pieces of 'helicopters'...i mean a lot!

I'll definitely be adding a small bead of caulk around the band.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I recently removed & reset my large escape hatch which had 22 years of silicone all over it. Tried several products to get the silicone off including WD40 that lots of folks feel is great. While none of the products I used where amazing I found that the DAP Silicone Be Gone worked the best. Key was to put a lot of it on & leave it for a number of hours - the longer the better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #23

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The pictures on your profile page, Willis, indicate to me that your Beachcomber seam is a lot tidier than that on Trilliums, with their constantly rusting-out metal tabs.
Looks to me like you're doing a ground up restore/repaint- why not seal that seam up with fiberglass and sand smooth before repainting. Then the belly band goes back to being a simple piece of cosmetic trim. No need to caulk at all in my opinion. If the band doesn't snug up perfectly so as to keep debris out, a thin rubber "gasket" (pieces of old bike tire tube?) could be used to do so.

Francesca
I agree with Francesca. Glass it over.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #24

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I agree with Francesca. Glass it over.
I would have liked to completely glass it. The front and back seams would have required some knowledgable glass work. The front is especially bad. After I get the belly band back on, and sucked up tight, it looks as though there will still be about an inch gap ( ledge ). The two halves, maybe from poor mould process, or 30 plus years of use, would not mate up nicely enough for my glassing skills. I did get a couple quotes, but those came back way to high. The front street side corner had been hanging down about 3 inches for who knows how long, I think this changed the shape of the two halves. I tried to pull and brace the sections, and the result is the inch apart that I referred to earlier. I cleaned up my belly band, and will be doing the install this weekend.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #25

Missouri
removing silicone.......

After tryin many things, the RV shop says they use gasoline (make sure there is plenty of fresh air around you) to soften and remove caulk.......it works!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gihuff View Post
After tryin many things, the RV shop says they use gasoline (make sure there is plenty of fresh air around you) to soften and remove caulk.......it works!
LOL going to suggest the party who recommended that does know a lot about fiberglass trailers! Not a surprise as few RV shops do. Would highly recommend not using gas on fiberglass unless you are really wanting to take the gelcoat off with the caulking.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Gas does work ...but like Carol points out, gelcoat is sensitive to it just as with any other strong solvent.

Don't leave it on long enough to get through to the gelcoat and you'll be fine.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #28

Missouri
re: Caulking

Yea I was concerned too when he said we use gas to remove silicone.
When I said is it ok on fiberglass he said, "doesn't bother Corvettes"