Caulking around the older Aluminum windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
The time has come for me to buy whatever I need for the guys to re-caulk around the old aluminum Scamp side windows tomorrow.

Someone on this forum mentioned butyl caulk??? That it should be used instead of silcone products?????

Tell me more. Tell me what I must get to re-caulk around the aluminum windows. Oh the roof vent is an aluminum one also!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Butyl is really a tapeish like stuff. for putting between window and trailer, not a caulk for around already installed windows.

I can't remember which caulk to use just to do the windows after installation. I know it's RV stuff. go to Bubba (RV repair place) and ask them. I think it had Pro - -some thing on the tube. Sorry best I can do right now.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Pro Flex?
Attached Images

Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Don't use silicone if you ever want to paint the trailer. Paint will not stick to silicone. I spent several hours this week removing silicone from around the windows on my Miti-Lite so it can have a new coat of paint next week. Mike B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Don't use silicone if you ever want to paint the trailer. Paint will not stick to silicone. I spent several hours this week removing silicone from around the windows on my Miti-Lite so it can have a new coat of paint next week. Mike B
There ARE paintable caulks though... You have to be very careful during the application though - since after you paint it, every little groove and fingerprint will show.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Pro-Flex?? I'm not sure. I better go find that tube when it gets light. I was thinking it can in a soft tube like toothpaste. Maybe there are two kinds?
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Hey Jana,

I have been using DAP Gutter and Flashing Sealant. It is a butyl based caulk that works great on the windows and vents. I also used it to lay a bead down on the top edge of the belly band as I noticed some seepage through the seam when I had the interior gutted. It comes in gray, white and black. I get it from Home Depot but have seen it a local hardware stores like Ace and TruValue.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=19
Attached Images

Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Hi Deb
The butyl tape the people refer to is used when you remove the windows and reinstall them. It is a putty that you put on before reinstalling and fills the gap between the fiberglass and the window. You also use it when installing vents, & fans. It is available at any RV shop. (This is for windows with frames, not windows with gaskets such as the front/rear windows on a Scamp.)
I hope this helps a little. Good luck on your repairs.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The RV places also have their own brand of sealer in tubes or caulking cartridges. It is probably the same stuff as something sold at Home Depot and twice the price, but what -- I don't know.

Since I use so little, the extra price isn't much of an issue. The RV place is owned and staffed by local people, and my dollar stays in the community.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Home Depot has a paintable silicon caulk.......works as good as anything on the market.

Don
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Just an observation from my own experience: if you want to stop a leaking window for the long term, remove it and use the butyl tape or a good marine sealant/caulk. Putting stuff around the edge doesn't last very long, and looks unprofessional. I have one window that I removed' and sealed properly, as it leaked and I wanted to solve it permanently. The other one didn't leak, so I just put a quality silicone product around the edges for "safety." 10,000 miles of travel loosened that window up enough so it leaked in heavy weather.

Drilling out the rivits was no big deal; just drill enough to eliminate the "cap", push it through and pull it out from the inside. After you apply a sealant, the new pop rivits will be tighter and look nice, although you could use short bolts and nuts.

Good luck! A dry window is a great asset!

Lance
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows