Chalky surface - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Chalky surface

I just bought a 2007 Scamp 16 and it is obvious it has been stored outside in the Arizona sun. It's very chalky, even streaks down the windows. Do I just wax it to protect it or do I need to do some kind of gel coat work first? I've seen people on here using auto wax but I want it really shiny and nice, what is the marine wax or floor wax people have mentioned and what would the benefit of that be? I assume it's more expensive than auto wax but I really want my Scamp to look nice and be as protected as possible since I have to store it outside in the sun.

Thanks
Michelle
shechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
A cheap solution:

Give it a good wash with LA's Totally Awesome (available at the dollar store) then Zep it. It will shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Chalky surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by shechelle View Post
Wondering how you apply the Zep, a rag? A brush? Is it like car wax that you buff after you apply it?

Most folks use a waxing pad. For multiple coats, have a few handy and change them out in between. You might want to wear gloves. It self levels, and you don't buff like a wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi, being you just got this I'm going to go a different way to you. Just give it a good wash down for now, clean up the interior and get out camping with the kids. Any drastic cleaning and polishing can be done in the off season.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I agree with Dave for now go camping until the off season. A 2007 IMO is too new to have to do the Zep treatment. Just waxing a chalky surface is a waste of time and effort, you need to get rid of the dull surface by compounding or polishing before waxing. The 3M boat fiberglass products are what I use and what the Pro. boat repair people in my area use. With a 2007 Finesse II should bring the sides out looking like new (Then wax). On the top you may need to compound first. Make sure any products you use are white or near white. Blue or red tented products will tent your trailer.
Eddie

Amazon.com: 3M 35928 Finesse-it II Marine Glaze - 1 Quart: Automotive
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Go with 4 coats of PoliGlow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-23-2012 007.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	84968
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I agree ypur trailer is too new to need either zep or poliglow it should still come up nicely as Eddie described.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I used 3M Marine Restorer and Wax [the one with the green label - for heavily oxidized finishes ] it is a one step process , hard work but works great . It contains a fine rubbing compound which breaks down as you polish leaving a very durable wax on the surface .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote