Champion 3500/4000 Portable Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Thumbs up

Hi All:

I just got a 19 Ft Bigfoot with AC, Microwave, TV and am researching generators. My stick trailer friends tell me that I'll need a 3000 watt generator to power the AC, TV and lights.

I understand that Honda generators are the cream of the crop: well made, efficient, quiet. They also cost much $$$.

And so, I am also researching alternatives to the Honda and Yamaha generators.

My next door neighbor used a Champion 3500/4000 on his travel trailer. I am interested in learning more about the Champion because it costs about $375. ($1,400 less than the Honda!)

The Champion has a noise rating of 68 DBs, and is not as quiet as the Honda or Yahama (52-59 DBs). It weighs about 106 lbs., less than the Honda eu3000isA (which weighs 134 lbs.).

The Champion looks to be longer than the Honda.

My question:does anyone have experience with this generator? If so, how do you like it? Can you give me some Pros and Cons with respect to this generator.

Does anyone own any other kind of generator? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Hi Janet - You are in a great position - you can LISTEN to your neighbors gennie and see if it is OK, noise wise. That is so much better than just buying "blind".
Quote:
My next door neighbor used a Champion 3500/4000 on his travel trailer. I am interested in learning more about the Champion because it costs about $375. ($1,400 less than the Honda!)
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
The Champion has a noise rating of 68 DBs, and is not as quiet as the Honda or Yahama (52-59 DBs). It weighs about 106 lbs., less than the Honda eu3000isA (which weighs 134 lbs.).
Jane,

68db is at least twice as loud as a Honda at 59db. It would not be legal in CA campgrounds.

Check ebay - search inverter generator. There are many out there from China with db ratings comparable to Honda and Yamaha. They are in the $500 price range and are very light weight. Magna is one of the brands but there are many others - same machine, different suppliers and names.

Good luck - we are still looking. Let us know if you get one and how you like it. If we buy first we will do the same.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Jane I am sure you will soon get more knowledgable input but for starters here goes. I would recommend that you look for inverter generators as they produce pure sine wave electricity which is compatable with sensitive devices such as computers, sensitive electronic devices and probably some or maybe even a lot of the "control boards" in your rv. I do not think the champion meets this criteria. I owned a Honda 3000 and, except for the weight, it was a joy to use. I see several units now on the web i.e. Kipor, Honeywell, EQT to name a few that seem to compare well to the Honda for about half or less money. Generators in general are, shall we say , not usually well received in campgrounds so it is a good idea to purchase the absolutely quietiest unit for the money that you can get. What may sound like a "whisper" quiet unit when tested in your neighborhood ( more noise than you may realize helping to mute the generator) may truly be a whole lot noisier when running in the pristine quiet in a camping setting. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Seems to me you have all your answers living right next to you!

Tags
generator