Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 14 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #261

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Front Shot

I better change the direction before I have to moderate myself.

Here's a shot of the front. You can see the tongue in the reflection, particularly if you double click on the picture. As well I did the propane tank and the tongue. No choice Ginny was not compliant.
Attached Thumbnails
Front 4 coats.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #262

Name: Stu
Trailer: Biggar
Saskatchewan
need a bit of help:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
I picked up a gallon of the Zep at Home Depot this past weekend and started on my 85 Bigfoot. Have only finished a bit fo the back (haven't got to the ugly parts like the front or the roof yet) but it seems to work well. Light scrub with scotchbrite and Spray Nine, rinse, let it dry and apply and it it really shines after 3 or 4 coats. I found the floor sealer dries really quick (in our arid climate) so I'm apply to apply multiple coats in fairly quick succession. I'll post some pics as I make some progress.
Hi,I was a h-depot and was not sure what kind of Zep to buy? The sealer or the finish? Do I just put it on and let it dry or do I buff it? I'm new to this but would like to give it a coat or two before winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, St
Saskstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #263

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskstu View Post
Hi,I was a h-depot and was not sure what kind of Zep to buy? The sealer or the finish? Do I just put it on and let it dry or do I buff it? I'm new to this but would like to give it a coat or two before winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, St
The Finish and make sure you camper is "CLEAN" "CLEAN" "CLEAN" then put 3 to 4 coats on with a micro cloth, very thin coats by the time you get all the way around the camper it will be dry and you can keep going around it...You should read post #239 in this thread it explains the process very well..............
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #264

Saskatchewan
thank-you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
The Finish and make sure you camper is "CLEAN" "CLEAN" "CLEAN" then put 3 to 4 coats on with a micro cloth, very thin coats by the time you get all the way around the camper it will be dry and you can keep going around it...You should read post #239 in this thread it explains the process very well..............
Perfect, I will get on it asap! Is there a BKF type cleaner available in Canada, did a quick search and seems you can get it at some stores up here, but I didn't recognize any of them... Stu
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #265

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Quote:
Perfect, I will get on it asap! Is there a BKF type cleaner available in Canada, did a quick search and seems you can get it at some stores up here, but I didn't recognize any of them... Stu
Stu - I used Spray Nine and a green Scotchbrite scrubbie. The Spray Nine kills all the mildew, etc. and the Scothbrite removes the oxidation. As to which Zep, I am 99% sure I used the "Wet Look Floor Finish".

Yesterday, we pulled into the sani-dump at Bow Valley Provincial Park near Canmore, and pulled in behind a Bigfoot fifth wheel - my wife says "Well, at least we can admire someone else's Bigfoot while we wait". The people in the truck pulling the 5th wheel jumped out (her with a notepad in hand) and said "How did you make yours so SHINY?". We had a good chat while we waited.
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #266

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
I applied it with a micro fiber carwash mit I bought at our Dollar Store.I had my hands in regular Rubber Gloves so as not to coat them!
I can see that by next year this time,every Fiberglass trailer in North America is going to so SHINEY that it will be dangerous to drive on the roads!!!
I poured the RED MAX into an old liquid dish soap container with the pop-up cap (after washing all the soap out carefully of course ) as it is alot easied to pour it onto the applicator-glove that way rather than pouring it out of the large container.
Regretably,we just sold the Boler,as at 66 (next month ),we've decided to do our camping at the HOLIDAY INN.I'm sure the RED MAX had something to do with the new owners choosing our Beauty.Lovely young couple and I'm sure they'll have many happy years of Bolering in this Beauty.
Andy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #267

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
Stu - I used Spray Nine and a green Scotchbrite scrubbie. The Spray Nine kills all the mildew, etc. and the Scothbrite removes the oxidation. As to which Zep, I am 99% sure I used the "Wet Look Floor Finish".

Yesterday, we pulled into the sani-dump at Bow Valley Provincial Park near Canmore, and pulled in behind a Bigfoot fifth wheel - my wife says "Well, at least we can admire someone else's Bigfoot while we wait". The people in the truck pulling the 5th wheel jumped out (her with a notepad in hand) and said "How did you make yours so SHINY?". We had a good chat while we waited.
very good, thanks...we are debating if we should bother making it look pretty this fall as we are thinking of painting it in the spring...
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #268

Quote:

I would recommend using Bar Keepers Friend to clean the camper, it will remove just about any stains and oxidation that you will encounter, It's very cheap around a $1.00 a can and a couple will be more than enough to do a 13'er if thats what you have................Did you go back and read post #239???? It's pretty well explained in there how to best do this process with pictures of the products and all are shown, even though it shows the RedMax instead of the Zep which are one in the same.( Same Company makes both, Same Product, Same ingredients, Just different Name is all)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #269

Name: Douglas
Trailer: 2007 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Massachusetts
Update on Red Max Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G. View Post
I made a post 6 months ago about my "Test Spot" with some floor stuff. The test spot still looks great.

After reading this thread I went out and bought a gallon of Red Max Pro.

All I can say is this stuff is shockingly good. The shine is unbelievable. I have a 1998 16' Scamp Deluxe.

After the first coat I wasn't sure but as you add coats it evens out. I have 2 coats on one side and 3 on the other so far. I think 4 coats will do it.

Nothing I have done has worked as well as this.

I'm very happy.
Are you still just as happy with this product 1 year later?
Doug
Doug1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1234 View Post
Are you still just as happy with this product 1 year later?
Doug
I started this thread well over a year ago and mine is as shiny today as is was last July, I own 6 Trilliums out of the 6, 3 were coated at least a year ago, I've bought more since then.. I've parked the "new" old ones right next to the ones with the RedMax on them and it does not look to me there any yellowing problem so many on here has been afraid of..I cleaned and coated one other one this last spring, one I had to sand completely down and paint because someone had painted it grey before I bvought it and the other one is waiting in line to be done when I finally get around to it..........
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #271

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'm only 3 mo. into the "time will tell" test and do not detect any condition (shrinkage cracking, blistering, scaling) of the coating which would tend to make one think that the Red Max isn't maintaining its bond and skin integrity. Objections have been raised here to a possible color cast (probably borrowed from "the yellow waxy buildup" floor wax ad campaigns of the past) which might make it objectionable to those who prefer their whites very white. I don't so it isn't.

After exposure to full sun in July and August, I do detect an alteration to the roof surface including most of the side to roof radius (detectable by hand and eye). I believe what I'm seeing and feeling on the roof of this 13 yr old trailer is a slight roughness possibly attributable to the expansion of tiny air pockets in the gel coat and consequent "microheaving" of the coating. This raises the issue of just how much elbow grease I applied with BKF on this area and if it's possible to remove enuf oxidized gelcoat to rid oneself of these hypothetical air pockets (the drive ran white with the stuff). Would the proprietary Red Max sealer have suppressed or limited this minor challenge to surface integrity? When the magic yr. rolls round, what prep should I use before recoating? Should I wash and degrease only? Attempt to cut down the wax slightly on the entire surface of the trailer or only on the roof area? I am absolutely in favor of Red Max over waxing and buffing but I'd prefer not to contribute to future shortfall of performance in adhesion and appearance by an ill-advised or slipshod prep. Your thoughts?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #272

Trailer: ***
Pages of great information and experiences here, thanks!

That said, has anyone used the RMP on a PLASTIC trailer? Specifically, I'm considering using it on a small molded plastic Coleman "Caboose" encloed utility trailer. Not sure of the exact PLASTIC type or composition of the trailer shell, but I assume it was roto-molded from ???

Any thoughts? The trailer shell is pretty flexible, more so than fiberglass shell construction I believe. Might the RMP crack or flake from the flexing?

Thanks for your input.
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #273

Florida
Red Maxx on Paint

That said, has anyone used the RMP on a PLASTIC trailer?

I used Red Max on a number of painted surfaces. It's only been a week or two but I don't see any peeling. Another member of the site did the painted surface of his motorhome some 5 months ago without any issue.

Today I am doing my neighbor's plast truck cab.

I also did my bumper box, plastic with paint on it.

Hope this helps.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #274

Florida
Truck Cap

'That said, has anyone used the RMP on a PLASTIC trailer?'

Dan I,

So far I've given my neighbor's red truck cap 3 coats. What a positive difference.

Her cap was all faded as red seems to do so readily. Now it's back to a bright state again. Now she says she'll be able to charge her garden customers more. LOL

Time will tell how long it stands up. I will say a bottle of Red Maxx is enough to do at least a 100 truck caps.
Attached Thumbnails
truck cap 2.jpg   truck cap1.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #275

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Nothing is forever (including unlimited elbow grease). Adhesion and skin integrity on a very weathered battery box and a new a/c shroud appear very good as does the condition and appearance of the glass shell of the 13 yr. old trailer to which these belong--all done 3 mo. ago. I'm no chemist and have no idea if there are plastics which would tend to reject bonding with the wax.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #276

Florida
Red Max Pro

I haven't gotten up the courage to do the painted surfaces of our 2004 Honda CRV but I did do all the black plastic surfaces. It definitely makes the car pop.

I've done them in the past with commercial products specifically manufactured for plastic surfaces without much long term success.

This weekend I did my neighbor's truck cap and it never looked so good, not even on the first day we installed the cap some years ago. Her cap and my Honda are two life tests in process.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #277

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Go for it, Norm- try it on a rocker panel or fender well
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #278

Florida
One of these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Go for it, Norm- try it on a rocker panel or fender well
After doing the black plastic Ginny asked me if I had done the whole car (she know's I can get carried away). Doing the black for some reason makes the whole car look shinier. I guess because the dullness of the black took away from the shiny painted surfaces.

Maybe I'll start with a section of the roof.... tomorrow....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #279

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Tried a few different waxes on my 05 Scamp, but nothing really made it shine. Tried the Red Max Pro this weekend and am very happy with the results. I can see reflections now, something I never saw on my old finish.
Now to see how long it lasts!
Here are some before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
100_6255.jpg   100_6262.jpg  

100_6259.jpg   100_6263.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #280

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
It works

Maybe too much has already been said, but I feel the need to add my observations. We have had the Burro for 11 years now, and without waxing, polishing, etc. except for sporadic unsuccessful attempts to shine it up.

Despite numerous products and good tools tried out, the gelcoat always looked like a diaper as far as shine is concerned, chalky and awful.

So when I finally looked at this thread I thought: what is there to lose? So I cleaned it up and tried it on a portion to see what would happen. The results are incredibly good from my point of view.

A few points from my experience: I tried a clean rag to apply it with, dabbing a little on at a time and found it quite unsatisfactory. When I dipped a "Dollar Store" microfiber piece in the stuff, wrung it out, folded it over three times and swept it on I knew I had found the solution. Fast, easy, and no problems with overlap.

I found that applying it with 30min. drying time was fine, and the shine was great at 4 coats, although I applied 5 coats on some portions.

Since I did it piecemeal I stuck the microfiber into a quart-sized Ziplock bag to avoid any drying out. Worked fine from one day to the next. Also, the cloth rinsed out in water very well and easily.

I applied generous coats, short of bubbling and dripping. Just a gentle wring-out got it to apply smoothly.

I noticed that for the next couple of days a few insects of a certain kind apparently were attracted to the surface, where they died. California has associated one or more of the components with birth defects. I suppose that California users could just pull their trailers across the border into Nevada, Arizona, or Oregon and they should be OK. I used the blue nitrile gloves and got nothing on my hands from this process, and the gloves did not fail and could be reused indefinitely.

I remember the old DuPont slogan "Better Living through Chemistry." For RedMax this certainly applies.

My heartfelt thanks to those who alerted me to this. The results are spectacular.
Attached Thumbnails
RedMax shine comparison.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow