Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 27 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #521

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Armstrong! Jesse you are such the rebel
Lol... I used RedMax last year... But Lowes is too far away. It looks and smells the same, and goes on just as easy.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #522

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Just cleaned up the Scamp and applies three coats of Armstrong Floor Shine.
Looks good behind that Silver Subaru
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #523

Name: Stacy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Indiana
This sounds like what I was looking for. Thank you so much! We will give this a try.
Stacy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #524

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was at the Lowes in Westland, MI last week and they were selling off the Red Maxx Pro 3 for $5 a gallon. Maybe elsewhere?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #525

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
I, as well as several of my friends have used Zep floor wax (available in Canada at Home Depot and Red Max available at Lowes, both the same product) and after 2 years (with an application every year) the end results are simply amazing. The key is to make sure all the old finish is removed.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #526

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Update: I did my 86 Burro 17 ( which have hopeless dull chalky finish that nothing would help) with Red Max 2 years ago. After 5 coats it looked pretty good. Enough for people to ask if it was new. Parked it for the winter without washing it in the garage. It still looked pretty good this spring, so I just camped. It got more dirt on it so I washed it( dirt almost fell off of it) and put another coat of Red Max on it. Now it's even more shiney and looks great. I started with a gallon of Red Max and still have a gallon. It sure doesn't take much. By the way that last coat went on like dusting a table.
I forgot to mention the original finish was scarred up from someone trying to clean it with a scouring pad. These scars gathered dirt and looked even worse.
With the Red Max the scars are invisible and gather no more dirt!
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #527

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Gelcoat repairs still to do

Will try Zep floor wax after all to oxide is gone. Have used buffing compound and wax so far and each time it gets a little darker and a bit more yellow begining to look like the colour in our bedroom; may even get to match the shower inside. So far did 3 heavy aplications in the spring and will do more soon, then remove some small painted coverups, patch the Gelcoat then will try the Zep product.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #528

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
34 years of oxide to remove!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #529

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
I, as well as several of my friends have used Zep floor wax (available in Canada at Home Depot and Red Max available at Lowes, both the same product) and after 2 years (with an application every year) the end results are simply amazing. The key is to make sure all the old finish is removed.
I have noticed a slight powdering on the surface of mine this winter, (8 months after application) but it comes off if brushed lightly with the finger. I will wash it in the spring, and apply another coat. Anybody who sees it is incredulous about the age of the trailer.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #530

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I was so skeptical of this, it just seems wrong. I didn't have much to lose, though.

Before:

roof half cleaned with bar keepers friend and scotch brite (it gets much duller when dry, but clean):

After 5 coats of floorwax and 2 months of dirt collecting:

Well worth the $200 in vinyl and floor wax, to me.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #531

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I think you're two yrs. from a re-ap. like anything it will never look better than day 1 but wash and tow over that time is a bargain. The blue Vinyk looks good.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #532

Name: mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Manitoba
Some great information in this thread.

Although my job turned out very well. I cannot seem to get rid of the faint 'brush marks'. I used a very fine microfiber cloth and 7-8 thin coats. You cannot feel the 'brush marks' but at certain angles you can see them. I even thinned the last coat with 50% water which helped but they can still be seen in direct light. Essentially you can see which direction the product was applied. It is not something that could be picked up with a camera so I won't post a pic.

I was wondering if everybody is getting a perfectly smooth (spray booth) type finish or if my results are more typical. Could I be putting it on too thin and not having enough product to flow out?
iammarcuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #533

Delaware
My opinion is that RMP (and probably similar floor waxes) flat out very well if applied with the sponge and chamois applicator from the makers of PoliGlow. 8" wide swath attached to painter's extension pole. Smaller chamois for details. This item is not cheap but worth the price.

Many have applied with microfiber cloth and claimed satisfaction. You choice.

jack
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #534

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammarcuse View Post

It is not something that could be picked up with a camera so I won't post a pic.
Hi Mark, welcome to FiberglassRV! We're glad you're here.

Pictures may not show the problem you're seeing in the polish application, but we'd like to see pictures of your trailer.. and you...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #535

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammarcuse View Post

Although my job turned out very well. I cannot seem to get rid of the faint 'brush marks'. I used a very fine microfiber cloth and 7-8 thin coats. You cannot feel the 'brush marks' but at certain angles you can see them. I even thinned the last coat with 50% water which helped but they can still be seen in direct light. Essentially you can see which direction the product was applied. It is not something that could be picked up with a camera so I won't post a pic.

I was wondering if everybody is getting a perfectly smooth (spray booth) type finish or if my results are more typical. Could I be putting it on too thin and not having enough product to flow out?
I did not detect any application marks. I put the RM on using a micro fiber cloth that I wrung to just damp with polish each time I dipped into solution. Four or Five very thin coats. I had to be at an angle to even see where I was applying the wax.

I was trying to avoid the dreaded "dried hard drips and runs". Good news is if you want to you can clean it off pretty easy and re-apply.

Have read that the tire cleaner at the coin car wash will remove it, manufacture makes product to remove, and ammonia and water solution are all reported to work.

And +1 on be great to see pictures.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #536

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I'm with rabbit on the applicator issue have tried both.

Michael .j
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #537

Name: mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Manitoba
OK, thanks all. I think I was putting it on too thin and there was not enough product to flow out. I put another coat on just a wee bit heavier and the marks all but disappeared. They could only be seen on an angle and in the light from the right angle. I was shooting for perfection. I will get a Poliglow applicator for next year for a top coat after the season. I will try to get some pics to post as well. Thanks again.
iammarcuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #538

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Has anybody tried sticking a sticker on a floor waxed trailer? I have a small decal I'd like to stick on our trailer and was just wondering if its possible...
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #539

Delaware
The applicator isn't cheap at 20+$. Rinse it well, place in Ziplock bag, keep in freezer, thaw out and use again a couple of yrs. down the pike.

jack
Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #540

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Has anybody tried sticking a sticker on a floor waxed trailer? I have a small decal I'd like to stick on our trailer and was just wondering if its possible...
You really should take the wax off before applying the decal. You can just do the area under the decal and then a little was touch-up should do the trick with very light coats.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow