Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Think of it as a self leveling clear paint but very thin and you will get the idea. Try some on bathroom floor if you want some practice before the trailer

Remember this stuff is designed to be applied with a mop so almost anything lint-free should work reasonably well but I will go with the above recommendation of a sponge or lint free rag (micro-fiber worked very well for me).

Any dirt you put this stuff over will be "coated" in floor polish so the cleaner the better.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #42

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
To clean the camper I used a Scotch-Brite scouring Pad with BarKeeper Friend it's a powder something like Comet but without the bleach the best I can describe it..It will clean anything on the camper, it can be found just about anywhere the dollar Store here has it and it's very cheap..I wet the camper and the pad then sprinkle a good amount of the cleaner on the pad and rub away..It takes off tar,road grime about anything..I done the top and everything in a couple of hours...I wouldn't recommend using a roller to apply the Finish because it would cause runs, a micro-cloth would be better, it's better to put several lite coats than trying to put on a couple thick coats...And remember the first will really look BAD because it will look streaky but the more coats the deeper the shine, a shammie might be even better thats what the applicator I used was made out of it came with the Poli-Glow I put on my first camper...some other people on here have done thiers now and they might be able to tell you what they used to put thiers on with....Hope this helps

RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

Bar Keepers friend sounds a lot like Bon Ami cleanser. It also is a powder and doesn't scratch. I use it on my shiny pots and pans and it cleans without scratching.

As to our trailer, I have just been washing it with car wash and then using car wax.

This is the best photo I have showing the shine. Not as spectacular as the floor wax, but decent.
Attached Thumbnails
shiny trailer.JPG  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #44

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
To clean the camper I used a Scotch-Brite scouring Pad with BarKeeper Friend it's a powder something like Comet but without the bleach the best I can describe it..It will clean anything on the camper, it can be found just about anywhere the dollar Store here has it and it's very cheap..I wet the camper and the pad then sprinkle a good amount of the cleaner on the pad and rub away..It takes off tar,road grime about anything..I done the top and everything in a couple of hours...I wouldn't recommend using a roller to apply the Finish because it would cause runs, a micro-cloth would be better, it's better to put several lite coats than trying to put on a couple thick coats...And remember the first will really look BAD because it will look streaky but the more coats the deeper the shine, a shammie might be even better thats what the applicator I used was made out of it came with the Poli-Glow I put on my first camper...some other people on here have done thiers now and they might be able to tell you what they used to put thiers on with....Hope this helps

RANDY
Don't use a sponge because you will leave air bubbles and they can dry and leave rings. The best is a micro cloth folded into 4. After doing a section turn the cloth over, this way you will have 8 sides to use. Only apply small amounts to the cloth until you get the swing of things. 4 lights coats is better then 2 heavy coats. As the product builds up there will be less drag on your cloth, this will tell you when you have enough product on the surface. If you apply it in direct sun light you may get streaks because the product will dry before it levels. If it does streak just apply another coat until you have a even finish. Good luck
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #45

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
NOT poliglow

I spent all day cleaning on My Burro 17 Wide body. I did experiment with a few things while in the process of prepping the camper. I tried Mean Green cleaner, I tried mildew/stain remover house wash, I tried Krud cutter house wash, I tried them all with the white scrub pads like the poliglow video shows. A big pain in the rear and alot of work. Not only does this method wear you out, it also removes alot of original finish. That is NOT good. I did about a quarter of the camper with this method. Then I decided to do things my way. I went into the garage and grabbed my trusty old tank sprayer, filled it with a gallon of bleach, a heavy squirt of dish soap and a cup of Mean Green comercial cleaner( the dish soap just helps the mixture to hang on the camper and not run off as fast). I then soaked the whole camper down with this mixture and used my car wash brush to scrub the camper. The results were excellent. The camper came spotless clean with little scrubbing. Nothing like to effort it takes to scrub your butt off with the white scrub pads and a cleaning solvent. This camper was not in the best condition on the outside, it had the green tree funk growing on the roof from being stored under a tree. Pretty nasty stuff. While I was scrubbing with the brillo pads, I noticed all of the white material running down the drive way. There is a difference in cleaning the camper and scrubbing the finish off of the camper. Using the white scrubing pad is not really cleaning your trailer, it is sanding away material. I have attached several pictures of my camper from before, during and after. I waited for the unit to dry and applied the RED MAX PRO. I turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails
burro17.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 006.jpg  

1999 Burro 17' wide body 007.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 001.jpg  

1999 Burro 17' wide body 002.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 003.jpg  

1999 Burro 17' wide body 004.jpg   1999 Burro 17' wide body 005.jpg  

Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #46

Looks great! How many coats of RedMax is that? I found the 4th coat to be the sweet spot for my scamp.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #47

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
It has 4 coats. It really looks better than the pictures show. The sun was going down as I took the pictures earlier. It is blinding in the sunlight. I can't imagine the camper looking this nice when it was new. Seriously!
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #48

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
I spent all day cleaning on My Burro 17 Wide body. I did experiment with a few things while in the process of prepping the camper. I tried Mean Green cleaner, I tried mildew/stain remover house wash, I tried Krud cutter house wash, I tried them all with the white scrub pads like the poliglow video shows. A big pain in the rear and alot of work. Not only does this method wear you out, it also removes alot of original finish. That is NOT good. I did about a quarter of the camper with this method. Then I decided to do things my way. I went into the garage and grabbed my trusty old tank sprayer, filled it with a gallon of bleach, a heavy squirt of dish soap and a cup of Mean Green comercial cleaner( the dish soap just helps the mixture to hang on the camper and not run off as fast). I then soaked the whole camper down with this mixture and used my car wash brush to scrub the camper. The results were excellent. The camper came spotless clean with little scrubbing. Nothing like to effort it takes to scrub your butt off with the white scrub pads and a cleaning solvent. This camper was not in the best condition on the outside, it had the green tree funk growing on the roof from being stored under a tree. Pretty nasty stuff. While I was scrubbing with the brillo pads, I noticed all of the white material running down the drive way. There is a difference in cleaning the camper and scrubbing the finish off of the camper. Using the white scrubing pad is not really cleaning your trailer, it is sanding away material. I have attached several pictures of my camper from before, during and after. I waited for the unit to dry and applied the RED MAX PRO. I turned out great.
The reason I didn't use bleach is because the Trillium is a cream color and not white like the Burro and I didn't want to bleach out the color...and the scouring pad and barkeepers was used because the gel-coat on all my campers we're real chalky and needed to be cleaned to remove this....really worked well for me, but it really depends on the color of the camper and degree of sun damage on your gelcoat I guess...Looks like yours turned out great Mark....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #49

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
I'm getting into this discussion late, but was watching for side effects from something I recently latched onto, something that works -- TSP .

We were'nt chalky and I had tried many products before, but it became apparent that I had to get through them all, down to the gelcoat, before applying more polish and wax. I even tried fine sandpaper, which worked up to a point.

Full-strength TSP and lots of elbow grease did cut through the previous layers of whatever, enough to take it off with a barbeque scrubber, and -- my fear -- did not soften the fibreglass into mush, or worse. The usual Meguires products were then applied.

If you don't peer too closely near seams and fixtures, L'EGGO is again looking great.
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I would think that yellowing would not be a big deal, since these trailers mostly are a cream color. The problem would be an uneven yellowing, or yellowing in streaks.

We use Johnson's Wax Brite One Step on our kitchen floor. It is a cleaner/shiner for no wax floors, but the problem is no wax floors have little bumps and hollows. This is what gives the no wax shine, the wear is on the bumps and the shine is in the hollows, and fools your eye into thinking the whole floor is shiny. However, the product builds up in the hollows, contains dirt and as a result, we have little, dirty hollows. Am now trying to remove down to the linoleum.

So, take this as you will for application to trailers. Any cracks will hold on to the dirt, so get that trailer clean before waxing or you will just emphasize the cracks.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I would think that yellowing would not be a big deal, since these trailers mostly are a cream color. The problem would be an uneven yellowing, or yellowing in streaks.

We use Johnson's Wax Brite One Step on our kitchen floor. It is a cleaner/shiner for no wax floors, but the problem is no wax floors have little bumps and hollows. This is what gives the no wax shine, the wear is on the bumps and the shine is in the hollows, and fools your eye into thinking the whole floor is shiny. However, the product builds up in the hollows, contains dirt and as a result, we have little, dirty hollows. Am now trying to remove down to the linoleum.

So, take this as you will for application to trailers. Any cracks will hold on to the dirt, so get that trailer clean before waxing or you will just emphasize the cracks.

Do not use the one step floor finishes as you said they trap dirt and it is almost impossible to remove. I don't think this is a good product for floors or trailers.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
so do i have to positively do this in the shade? or will the streaks in the sun even out after a couple of coats
KellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #53

The hotter the trailer is the greater the chance for errors. With that said, I did mine on an 80 degree day in the direct sunlight.

As mentioned, do not put the product directly on the trailer. Apply the product to an applicator then spread evenly. I used long horizontal strokes until an area was covered. Repeating the same process for additional coats.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #54

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mark, want to come to the Northern Oregon Gathering in October and show off your egg? I would imagine a number of people would like to see it first hand and ask questions. I know I'd like to see it... and meet up with you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #55

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Red Maxed my Casita

Rick,
I have followed this thread with great interest because my 2001 Casita was purchased from an individual who had stored it in a lot in the hot Alabama sun. I have had the trailer for about four years and in all that time I have rubbed and scrubbed and waxed and 303ed, etc. As a result, the trailer looked "pretty good" but I was disappointed that I could never bring it anywhere near that new look. After reading this thread, I decided to go ahead and take the risk of having the first yellow Casita (although I don't really think it will yellow based on other's reports). Anyway, yesterday I got out and scrubbed the trailer down with Barkeepers Friend, waited for everything to dry and put on the Red Max. By the time I got to the fourth coat, I was grinning from ear to ear. As you have stated, I don't know what the future will be, but for now I am elated with the results. Thanks for posting your discovery and for giving directions on how you got it done.

Fred

Click image for larger version

Name:	three-a.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	30844

Name:	three-b.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	30845

Name:	one-a.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	30846

Name:	one-b.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	30847

Name:	two-a.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	30848

Name:	two-b.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	30849

Name:	four-a.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	30850

Name:	four-b.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	30851
Fred Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #56

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i cant find the barkeepers friend. there website for texas said home depot, dollar general, lowes. none of them had it. will tsp do the same thing
KellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought a large shaker can of Bar Keepers Friend at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Cost $1.99. Even Safeway (grocery store) carries it here in Portland, OR
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Patterson View Post
Rick,
I have followed this thread with great interest because my 2001 Casita was purchased from an individual who had stored it in a lot in the hot Alabama sun. I have had the trailer for about four years and in all that time I have rubbed and scrubbed and waxed and 303ed, etc. As a result, the trailer looked "pretty good" but I was disappointed that I could never bring it anywhere near that new look. After reading this thread, I decided to go ahead and take the risk of having the first yellow Casita (although I don't really think it will yellow based on other's reports). Anyway, yesterday I got out and scrubbed the trailer down with Barkeepers Friend, waited for everything to dry and put on the Red Max. By the time I got to the fourth coat, I was grinning from ear to ear. As you have stated, I don't know what the future will be, but for now I am elated with the results. Thanks for posting your discovery and for giving directions on how you got it done.

Fred

Wow, that looks great!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mark, want to come to the Northern Oregon Gathering in October and show off your egg? I would imagine a number of people would like to see it first hand and ask questions. I know I'd like to see it... and meet up with you.

I will run the idea past my better half, sounds like it would be a fun time.

If anyone local is interested in seeing the results first hand just let me know.

Im in Beaverton Oregon off 185th.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Patterson View Post
Rick,

Fred

Fred
That looks awesome and although I posted my results 3 years ago, it was Randy who gave floor finish a new life on the forum. I hope Poli Glow is not to upset with the results. I just want to add again make sure your egg is clean of old wax and dirt. The old wax will effect the wax bonding to your trailer. It is great to see all the before and after pictures. You can be proud of your "new eggs".

Tags
poliglow