Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 31 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #601

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Point taken. Few toxic molecules downstream. Not good but not much worse than the 50 gallons of herbicide on the neighbor's lawn. I understand why one might not wish to listen to advice about personal safety from an environmental criminal. If working real hard to make sure you maximize the risk of being less than two stories up appeals to you, hey, go for it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #602

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Jack, how do you get the photographer to always catch your good side?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #603

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Funny-er than a crutch, Tom.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #604

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Since Scamp can fit in the garage, I'm thinking of rigging up a system where I can hook a sling on to the garage door while it is in the up position, then just move it a bit at a time to do the top of Scamp.
Again, another hairbrained idea!!!

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #605

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
What would Red Green Do?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #606

Name: Bob
Trailer: Holiday Rambler
Florida
Red max pro

I went down to Lowes, and the RMP has changed to ZEP "Wet Look". Clerk said that it is the same formula, just different name. He asked me what I was going to use it for, and I told him a 5th wheel trailer. He laughed, and as he was walking away, he said "Now you are thinking, try it on your boat also, you will be pleased."
They also had the BKF and the TSP. I am ready to get started cleaning all of old Poli Glow off the trailer.
Do you know what kind of material that the Poli Glow Applicator is made out of? It almost looks like a chamois. I was wondering if one of those plastic paint pads would work. Another thing to keep in mind, is that the Poli Glow is in 32oz bottles @ $47.95 + S & H, and the ZEP is 128oz. for $24.95 = Tax. You are way ahead of the whole Poli Glow Kit price of $70.00. The last time I used the Poli Glow, I ran out before the 5th application, and then another $47.95. I paid $36.00 for a gallon of the ZEP Wet Look, Barkeeper's Friend, and the TSP. I noticed, on the Poli Glow web site, they now have something called Aluma Glow. Wonder if it is the same stuff as their Poli Glow? It is $36.95 for 8oz. Thanks for answering me and sending the pictures.
Grandpagator
gp in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #607

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
If you are stripping the poly glo get the zep stripper. Voice of experience here, it will make your life so much easier and appear to be chemically the same as the polyGlo remover. I think I spent about $9-10 for a gallon.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #608

Florida
Poli Glow Stripper

Thanks for the info. I will go down and get the ZEP Stripper tomorrow. I have about 1/2 bottle of the Poli Glow stripper so I will see how they compare. I have not applied the Poli Glow the last two seasons, so maybe it won't be too hard to get off.

Grandpagator
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #609

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
OK all of you pros at using the Red Maxx Pro, I tested a small section of my 1971 campster (the cover for the wheel well) just as a jumping off place.

I definitely get a shine, but not that deep deep shine. I have put on several coats.

I am wondering if maybe a) I may have put on too thick of coats (it really goes on easy) or b) am I not allowing enough drying time between coats. It seems to dry quick, but maybe im not letting it dry quick enough.

Please let me know from your personal experiences. I would like to get "perfect" at it before putting it on the rest of my trailer.

Thanks all!!!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #610

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
OK all of you pros at using the Red Maxx Pro, I tested a small section of my 1971 campster (the cover for the wheel well) just as a jumping off place.

I definitely get a shine, but not that deep deep shine. I have put on several coats.

I am wondering if maybe a) I may have put on too thick of coats (it really goes on easy) or b) am I not allowing enough drying time between coats. It seems to dry quick, but maybe im not letting it dry quick enough.

Please let me know from your personal experiences. I would like to get "perfect" at it before putting it on the rest of my trailer.

Thanks all!!!!
Took me 4 coats.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #611

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
From my recent experience with the ZEP Wet Look product:

1. It doesn't start to take a shine until at least the 4th coat, I put on 6.
2. I allowed at least 2 hours drying time between coats, or about how long it took to do the rest of the trailer, drink a cold one, check for FGRV messages, drink another cold one and go back to it. BTW: All work was done under a canopy, no direct sun.
3. I pre-cleaned everything with BarKeepers Friend powdered cleanser.
4. It only really works well on fiberglass, not so well on painted surfaces or other types of plastic.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #612

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
I have experienced excellent results on my 1980 Scamp. I apply it with a chamois soaked in RMP, wrung out good, light coat, dries fast, power polisher. I applied 5 coats initially last year, washed with simple green and applied two coats this spring, shines like new. NO yellowing.
Lawrence
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #613

California
Registry
Thumbs up Thanks!!!

Quote:
I allowed at least 2 hours drying time between coats, or about how long it took to do the rest of the trailer, drink a cold one, check for FGRV messages, drink another cold one and go backl to it. BTW: All work was done under a canopy, no direct sun.
Bob I like your work methods, maybe thats what I need to adopt

Thomas I have at least 4 coats on, so it might be the drying time, and I will start wringing out my cloth, i was putting it on pretty wet and heavy.

Definitely cleaned all areas with the barkeepers friend, but wow that dust loves to accumulate quick (and those darn bugs love this stuff).

Also did some "test" areas where i did some aggessive sanding just to see how it would compare to the non-sanded areas.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #614

Florida
I put at least 5 coats on just like poliglow. It really takes on the deep shine after the 5th coat. I also used a micro fiber cloth to apply the ZEP. Same great shine, but WAY cheaper than poliglow. I used to pick up the poliglow while I was in Port St. Lucie, just to save the shipping and processing fees, and the ZEP is still WAY cheaper with the same results. My trailer is older and some of the stains will just not come off, but other than that, it looks brand new. Hope you get the shine you are looking for and save money.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #615

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jimbo, you really do need to apply very very thin coats (at least 5) for a great shine. Heavy coats do appear dull & darker, and if allowed to have runs, they will need to be sanded down or removed with stripper.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #616

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Jimbo,

I put Red Max on my 85 U Haul about a year ago and it is still shining nicely when I wash the U-Haul. It took a minimum of 5-7 coats to get mine to start to really shine. When I put the Red Max on, I just wet my microfiber towel and wiped it on as if I was dusting and made sure it did not run. The Red Max did dry really fast in the summer heat of June in southern NM. I just waxed the entire trailer and took a short break and went back and repeated the process and it finally started to shine as the coats built up, just the way I wanted it to do. I had a little more of a challenge with the Red Max trying to run as the coats built up and had to really use caution to prevent it from doing so. I could have put more coats on but the shine was good and I was tired so I stopped. Just a note I also used the Red Max on my clouded tail lens and weathered black bumper and it made a terrific difference.

About the only caution I would give is make sure the trailer skin is as clean as you can or want to get it. I used Bar Keepers Friend and decal remover first, then a combination of Liquid Tide, TSP and Clorox to really clean my weathered chalky fiberglass and it worked well. I also used some spray stain remover on some areas that seem heavily stained and it did some additional good. I did leave the trailer over night to dry. Do use rubber gloves and eye protection. I think if you go back I did post before and after pictures on a thread, if not I can email them to you to show what the results looked like.

I hope this helps,

My best to you.

Quote:

Thanks all!!!!
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #617

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Jimbo,

I had posted the pictures over on the U-Haul site, http://www.uhaulcamper.com.

You can see the before and after at

http://www.uhaulcamper.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2124

Quote:

Thanks all!!!!
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #618

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
Thanks Perk, looks great.

Luckily i bought a couple gallons of RMP at Lowes when they were discontinuing it. paid like 8-10 bucks per jug.

Put on SEVERAL coats, but may have either put it on too thick or didnt wait enough between coats.

I am sure its my technique, i am totally sold on the product after reading tis forum a year or so back.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #619

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
I used a cut up tee shirt to apply the Red Max Pro 3. I tried to apply thin coats many times. Actual counting the number of coats I used would be a wild guess. I kept applying until I got a good clean shine without a bunch of streaks. Applying thicker coats just breeds runs which creates more work. Once the desired shine is set, it appears a redo probably once a year is worth the time and effort.
Roy Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #620

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
For those who have used PoliGlo or the like...Did your trailer have still shiny spots? Did the poli glo stick, were there any problems with adherence or coverage? Or was Bar keepers friend used not only to clean, but to dull it down?

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow