Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 32 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #435

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
TSP is Trisodium phosphate. A cleaning agent often used to clean walls etc prior to painting. It removes dirt and oils so the paint will adhere to the old paint better. Many places sell a TSP substitute.

However-that being said-use bar keepers friend and a 3M cleaning pad on your fiberglass trailer. It works amazing.

I used to think it was just like comet since it is in a similar can and the contents look similar; but they are not. Bar keepers friend is non abrasive and uses oxalic acid. Really works great for this application (and to clean cookware too LOL)

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #436

Name: gayle
Trailer: 1990 13' Scamp
Maryland
Thanks Jimbo - the reason I ask is that one of the recent posts says to do both:

Clean with BKF and then clean with TSP.

If I do a complete scrub down with BKF would that mean I do not need to use TSP?

Thanks - gayle

Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #437

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
TSP comes in powder and liquid forms. Cleaning once more with TSP and rinsing well before waxing would not do any harm. BKF and TSP work on different things.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #438

California
Registry
Personally if you're not painting I think both would be overkill. Just make sure whatever you use is thoroughly rinsed off.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #439

California
Registry
Just saw Roy's post. I haven't tried both but yes they work on different things. I used TSP on the interior of my campster prior to priming and painting and it worked great for that.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #440

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Jimbo and I seem to be composing posts at the same time.

Read these, then make up your own mind:
Household Cleansers | All Purpose Cleaners | Bar Keepers Friend
Bar Keepers Friend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trisodium phosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #441

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
TSP comes in powder and liquid forms. Cleaning once more with TSP and rinsing well before waxing would not do any harm. BKF and TSP work on different things.
I used both, BKF to clean stains and for it's mild (really mild) bleaching action. Really did a good job, especially on the black run down streaks.

BKF worked very well on the aluminum windows too. I wanted those frames clean before RMP went on around them so I would not have to be exposing RMP to frame cleaning products.

Followed with some TSP in a bucket with a big soft scrub brush to clean off oil and dirt, followed by a pressure wash rinse. TSP was used sort of like soap when washing the car.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #442

Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Registry
Cleaning and shining my U_Haul

I believe I posted this on the wrong thread so I am moving it from the Poli-Glow thread to here ... sorry guys.

Cleaning and shining my U_Haul

OK after reading a number of posts here on fiberglassRV, this weekend I washed the outside of my very neglected dirty and chalky 1985 VT. I started with Bar Keepers Friend which got some of the dirt, sap, bugs and bird dropping off and was not that easy to use. I then hit some of the serious stains and runs with a liquid stain and scuff remover and had some limited success. I also used a decal remover spray on the tape remains from the "for sale" sigh that had been attached when I bought the VT last month and on a old bumper sticker on the rear bumper.

I then FINALLY used a combination of TSP, Tide liquid laundry soap and Clorox. Now that really helped get things going and removed a lot more oxidation, chalk and grim off the VT. Sap melted and slowly ran down the side of the VT from the roof. A lot of black ran away from the windows. It was like magic how everything dissolved, came loose and the skin became cleaner. Sadly the skin has been neglected for such a long time I was not able to remove as much staining as I wanted to but the results were amazing.

I would suggest that anyone trying to do the same to possibly forgo the BKF or use it after the tri-combination. The TSP and BKF each work in different ways so both may have helped in the actual cleaning, it is just that the BKF was not as dramatic or quick.

The washing was was in the sun and it was about 100 degrees with high humidity for southern NM and was threatening rain in the early PM but didn't. I gave the washing about 5 hours overall.

I continuously made sure that none of the cleaning products dried on the fiberglass and repeatedly went back to rinse previously cleaned areas.

The next morning I made sure any dust and debris that was on the VT was removed and the VT was completely dry, I then applied at least 5 coats of ZEP Floor Finish Wet Look and I was astonished to the resulting shine. I even applied ZEP to the faded black bumper and it looked like I had repainted it. The stop light tail lens application resulted in no chalkiness and a clean glass look again. I am most pleased with the results!!!!

Here are a couple before and after images.
Attached Thumbnails
July 21 2012 001.jpg   July 21 2012 016.jpg  

July 21 2012 002.jpg   July 21 2012 013.jpg  

Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #443

Name: David
Trailer: 13 ft Casita 1985
Iowa
Cool

I also worked on my project this past weekend. after reading all of the posts and getting stuff lined up and the time to work on my 1985 13' Casita. I first made a bunch of phone calls trying to find the Red Max at Lowes. I called 5 stores in 2 states and only one had any and they only had step 1 and step 4. So I tried to find the Zep and the first and closest Lowes had it for $25 a gallon.

So I made a trip to Des Moines to get supplies. I live in SW Iowa about 1/2 way between Des Moines and Omaha, so either place is about the same drive.

so I get the gallon of Zep, bar keepers friend powder (can't find the liquid) and a few other things and head back home.

bright and early saturday morning I start on the exterior of the old Casita. I took off the spare tire cover and the spare tire looks ok, but it is flat. I get ready to hook it up to the truck and notice that the left tire is low so I swing by the gas station and long story short now have 2 new tires on the camper. I guess I needed them and would rather find out now than when I was on the interstate.

off to the car wash. This thing is really dirty, to the point that I can actually see white under the brown and dirt that is coming off. Lots of stains that I will have to work on with the bar keepers friend.

back home, I spent 5 hours scrubbing the whole thing and some spots up to 8 times and it looks better. I have to stop at 2 in the afternoon because I am exhausted and it is 100 degrees.

back to it again on Sunday morning at 7am. The first coat of Zep (MAKE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES very bad on the hands) and it looks pretty bad, cleaner but no shine. Coat number 2 a little better but can really tell where I start and stop. Coat 3 start to see a good shine. Coat number 4 everything evens out well and shines better than it had in 20 years.

I put on the spare tire and the new tire cover and cleaned things up.

I will post pictures tomorrow night, I don't have the correct cable tonight.

Looks good but now the back bumper needs painted, the wheels need cleaned and painted, the front draw bar needs cleaned and painted..... and a few of the light covers need replacing.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #444

Arizona
Registry
I understand your challenges in finding the #3 ZEP ... I called several Lowes and Home Depots in Tucson and a couple other towns before finding Zep #3 Wet Look in Las Cruces NM. I also used and recommend good rubber gloves during the chemical washing and ZEPing as the chemicals and ZEP can really do damage to the skin. I ZEPed the bumper and mine turned out better than I thought. I need to really work on my wheels as they have some rust and the trailer tongue needs cleaning and painting too. But I, as you, really feel good about having the trailer cleaned and shining! Congrats on your success. Waiting to see your before and after pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper407dm View Post
I also worked on my project this past weekend. after reading all of the posts and getting stuff lined up and the time to work on my 1985 13' Casita. I first made a bunch of phone calls trying to find the Red Max at Lowes. I called 5 stores in 2 states and only one had any and they only had step 1 and step 4. So I tried to find the Zep and the first and closest Lowes had it for $25 a gallon.

So I made a trip to Des Moines to get supplies. I live in SW Iowa about 1/2 way between Des Moines and Omaha, so either place is about the same drive.

so I get the gallon of Zep, bar keepers friend powder (can't find the liquid) and a few other things and head back home.

bright and early saturday morning I start on the exterior of the old Casita. I took off the spare tire cover and the spare tire looks ok, but it is flat. I get ready to hook it up to the truck and notice that the left tire is low so I swing by the gas station and long story short now have 2 new tires on the camper. I guess I needed them and would rather find out now than when I was on the interstate.

off to the car wash. This thing is really dirty, to the point that I can actually see white under the brown and dirt that is coming off. Lots of stains that I will have to work on with the bar keepers friend.

back home, I spent 5 hours scrubbing the whole thing and some spots up to 8 times and it looks better. I have to stop at 2 in the afternoon because I am exhausted and it is 100 degrees.

back to it again on Sunday morning at 7am. The first coat of Zep (MAKE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES very bad on the hands) and it looks pretty bad, cleaner but no shine. Coat number 2 a little better but can really tell where I start and stop. Coat 3 start to see a good shine. Coat number 4 everything evens out well and shines better than it had in 20 years.

I put on the spare tire and the new tire cover and cleaned things up.

I will post pictures tomorrow night, I don't have the correct cable tonight.

Looks good but now the back bumper needs painted, the wheels need cleaned and painted, the front draw bar needs cleaned and painted..... and a few of the light covers need replacing.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #445

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Heads up

I know there are lots of people that have had great results using Red Max but IMHO there seems to be a bit of information about using an acrylic floor finish product such as Red Max that has gotten lost in this lengthily thread that someone new to maintaining fiberglass may not be aware of. It may not actually be lost but simple the result of few people on this forum have using Red Max for long enough to be aware of this additional information.

A downside that I haven't seen mentioned here to often is found posted (off this list) by a good number of people who have using Red Max for more than a couple of years is that its an acrylic finish and as such it will need yearly reapplication to maintain & after 4 or 5 years of multi coating acrylic will become hard and brittle and as such is likely to crack and peel and will have to be totally removed before reapplying. Some folks have also reported that they have seen some premature peeling take place in areas around rock chips which will require a reapplication.

As has already been suggested here its also not a product that body shops or boat shops like to see used on an RV or boat that is going to be repainted anytime soon.

If you do a Google and read through many of the posts off this list by people with a number of years of experience using Red Max (and its new name) on fiberglass boats & on RV's suggest Red Max should be only used as a last resort product. It IMHO appears that those with lots of experience with the product seem to feel that its well worth trying to rejuvenation a fiberglass boat or RV with a good compound and wax before resorting to the Red Max treatment. Most seem to agree that on an older trailer that requires constant compounding and waxing to keep a shine Red Max works well but that its not a product those who have been using it for many years would use on newer fiberglass or on fiberglass that the original finish is still in good condition as they feel a good compound and wax will give the same results.

I have no intreast in debating the pros and cons of using the product and the above information is simply for sharing purposes. I would encourage folks considering using an acrylic floor finish product on fiberglass to read up on it on and off of this forum to determine if its the right product for their situation.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #446

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree Carol,
ReddMaxx is for older units, I doubt that you can even apply it to a newer unit because is will not stick. The Barkeepers application prepares the surface, like sanding prior to applying ReddMaxx. But I would never apply either of these items to a perfectly new or normal fiberglass surface. Wax is best. Similar to an automotive finish, the older ones need a rubbing compound, whereas the newer ones just need wax.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #447

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jim your comparison to using Barkeepers on fiberglass to sanding a wood floor prior to refinishing is a good one. My post was actually the result of a conversation I had at a recent meet with someone with a 5 year old trailer who was about to head off to purchase Barkeepers as a result of advise they had received at the meet on removing some streaks from their trailer. They didnt realize that there were are much gentler products they could use to achieve the same result.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #448

Arizona
Registry
CarolH,

Very good and helpful insight and cautionary notes. No need to worry about any debate here as your and others experiences are good to know so a person can make the best decision and choice possible for themselves. I appreciate and thank you for offering the information in such a nice way. I think my particular U-Haul VT falls into your exception for use category. My VT appears to not had a ounce of finish attention since it rolled off the factory floor in May of 1985 and is in bad need of a new paint job and clear coating as the original finish was left in a distant camp ground a decade or two ago. The ZEP will afford me time to attend to other needed details before the expense and luxury of a paint job but helps prevent continued deterioration of the skin.

Again thank you for sharing your cautionary thoughts.

Perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I know there are lots of people that have had great results using Red Max but IMHO there seems to be a bit of information about using an acrylic floor finish product such as Red Max that has gotten lost in this lengthily thread that someone new to maintaining fiberglass may not be aware of. It may not actually be lost but simple the result of few people on this forum have using Red Max for long enough to be aware of this additional information.

A downside that I haven't seen mentioned here to often is found posted (off this list) by a good number of people who have using Red Max for more than a couple of years is that its an acrylic finish and as such it will need yearly reapplication to maintain & after 4 or 5 years of multi coating acrylic will become hard and brittle and as such is likely to crack and peel and will have to be totally removed before reapplying. Some folks have also reported that they have seen some premature peeling take place in areas around rock chips which will require a reapplication.

As has already been suggested here its also not a product that body shops or boat shops like to see used on an RV or boat that is going to be repainted anytime soon.

If you do a Google and read through many of the posts off this list by people with a number of years of experience using Red Max (and its new name) on fiberglass boats & on RV's suggest Red Max should be only used as a last resort product. It IMHO appears that those with lots of experience with the product seem to feel that its well worth trying to rejuvenation a fiberglass boat or RV with a good compound and wax before resorting to the Red Max treatment. Most seem to agree that on an older trailer that requires constant compounding and waxing to keep a shine Red Max works well but that its not a product those who have been using it for many years would use on newer fiberglass or on fiberglass that the original finish is still in good condition as they feel a good compound and wax will give the same results.

I have no intreast in debating the pros and cons of using the product and the above information is simply for sharing purposes. I would encourage folks considering using an acrylic floor finish product on fiberglass to read up on it on and off of this forum to determine if its the right product for their situation.

Tags
poliglow