Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 33 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #449

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I intend to respect the "gag rule" imposed by Carol. Day 2 post-application testimonials clearly are not the whole story. However, in the immortal words of Randy Bishop, "time will tell." I hope those of us who took the plunge on "floor wax" will report candidly about the condition and appearance of this coating 2, 3, 4 yrs. down the line and I trust we will be allowed to do so.

jack

Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #450

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
No gag rule imposed Jack. I really do hope that you and others that have used the product do come back and share what's happening 4 or 5 years down the road as thats that part that I am not sure we clearly have recorded here for reference. Suspect its due to no one here has actually been using it for 5 years or more yet.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #451

Name: David
Trailer: 13 ft Casita 1985
Iowa
I agree, I don't think that I would use Zep on a new camper but look what it did to my 27 year old Casita

woooHOOOooooo
Attached Thumbnails
002 (800x600).jpg   033 (800x600).jpg  

017 (800x600).jpg   040 (800x600) (2).jpg  

Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #452

Name: David
Trailer: 13 ft Casita 1985
Iowa
and 2 more
Attached Thumbnails
022 (800x600).jpg   046 (800x600).jpg  

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #453

Delaware
Shinola De luxe!! Yeh, those testimonials can really hook you and a great many of us have swallowed the bait.

jack (still happy with the adhesion, dirt and water shedding capability, and color cast of floor wax 13 months after application)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #454
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot,Trillum, Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I had read several post on here about Poliglow and bought some off e-bay for around $70.00 with shipping. I put 4 coats on one of my campers and I thought it really turn out great..then I found a post on a boat site where a guy said that Poliglow was the exact same thing as a floor finish..So after I bought this Trillium 1300 I'm working on I went to the local Lowes and bought a gallon jug of RED MAX PRO floor finish..The guy at the store told me it was used a lot on church floors and it really could take alot of abuse...I used the applicator I had from the Poliglow and after a really good cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend ( Dave the Trillium King told me about this product) I put 4 coats of the floor finish on..The 2 campers have been setting in the hot summer sun now for 2 1/2 months and I really think the one with the floor finish looks the best..I don't know how the products will standup over time but I will keep everyone up dated..I do know that mud and bird droppings wash off with a spray of the hose, it seams nothing really sticks to either of them..The poliglow says you need to put 1 refresher coat once a year and thats what I plan to do on the other one also..So now for pictures and I hope I can get them posted...Here are 3 of the 1300 with floor finish and the jug of finish I used..I'll post pictures of the one with poliglow in the next reply..I'm a chicken picker so it will take me a little time..
I did a trailer in Red Max Pro. Removing a run today made me real mad I used Mineral Spirits to removed the floor wax. It was a big job. Going back to Poli-Glow which is easier to remove with the cleaner.
Chuck
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #455

Name: gail
Trailer: casita spirit deluxe
Mississippi
WOW WOW...Photos look fantastic!! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #456

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck
I did a trailer in Red Max Pro. Removing a run today made me real mad I used Mineral Spirits to removed the floor wax. It was a big job. Going back to Poli-Glow which is easier to remove with the cleaner.
Chuck
Thanks for the info on the PItA removal process. Has anyone tried ammonia of designated floor stripper produducs!???
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #457

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper407dm
and 2 more
Amazing before and after photos. I like that you shot from the same angles. Very nicely done
Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #458

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Chuck
How long was the run there? Fixing it when it happened would be a lot easier.
Why use mineral spirits when the waxes have strippers in their systems?
What cleaner were you using with Poli-Glow?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #459

Delaware
Red Max Pro is/was a 3 part system with a primer, finish, and remover. I assume ZEP has somethilng similar. No question 12% ammonia from the hardware (most will have to order it) is strong enuf to cut Red Max. Best wear gloves as considerable exposure to ammonia will dry and burn your hands, unless of course you didn't wear them while applying the wax, in which case you might want to use the ammonia to remove your shiny manicure. As to the relative insolubility (w/ resulting durability) of the finish (including the runs), the floor waxes wouldn't be of much more interest than a buffing wax if they washed off in the first rainstorm. As to the problem of the relative porosity of gelcoat (which can be seen on many an old trailer with a healthy crop of algae and moss), the ability of the liquid waxes to flat out and seal is also a positive benefit imo. The necessity of deep cleaning and light abrasion of the surface prior to application (Barkeeper's Friend. Simple Green, Tri-sodium phosphate) has been emphasized by many who have gone this route and can't be over-emphasized. I believe many older trailers exhibit two quite different qualities of deterioration of the surface: very chalky and porous gelcoat on the roof along with vertical areas lower down which retain a less degraded surface quality (smooth to the touch, retaining some reflectivity of light). Removal of the chalked and presumably very porous gelcoat (the result is the rinse water running white into the storm sewer) as well as a light, uniform cutdown of areas which retain some surface cohesion and integrity are both a vital part of prep as they would also be for a sprayed paint finish. The removal of loose material and the slight "etching" of better preserved areas is not the end of the work. Obviously the removal of surface contaminants (buffing waxes which may remain in protected areas) is vital. And the removal or depigmentation of mineral stains with bleach or the weapon of your choice also contributes to a uniform appearance thru the transparent wax. Clean, clean and clean again.

The possible present and future negatives contingent on this treatment have been made clear by other posters to the thread. The view that this is a "last resort" for an inexpensive surface restoration of older trailers has been mentioned many times by the original poster and subsequently by many to whom the treatment appears to look good, reduce maintenance, and evidence the promise of at least medium term durability exposed to the elements. Nothing is forever as those with expensive repaints will also discover in the fullness of time. Whatever paths your restoration efforts take you down, may you have immediate success and enduring satisfaction.

jack
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #460

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The possible present and future negatives contingent on this treatment have been made clear by other posters to the thread. ..............jack
Well said. It's floor wax, not holy water. I'm guessing that if one uses it on the floor there may be subsequent maintenance required, too.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #461

Delaware
Thanks Tom. Incidentally, gelcoat and localized repair involving body filler and paint can cohabit quite happily. Due to the recent infatuation with structural repair involving fabmat and resin, the rather quotidian but still useful nature of post lead-wiping body work has, I think, been unjustly put in the shade.

One may say: "I think the only solution to the condition of my gelcoat is a complete repaint. Can there be an alternative to this draconian and expensive solution, Oh Maestro of the Sanding Block and Rattle Can?" To which I reply: "Well yeeah!"

There are a FEW tricks to fairing and feathering a bondo repair and to the successful control of paint overspray by "soft" masking. One of collateral benefits of the floor waxes is the happy coincidence of their abiilty to hide the reflective qualities of dissimilar surfaces under a single, perceived color cast. But this is only my humble testament and experience and I also wish neither to debate it nor lead others astray by too strong an advocacy. Oftentimes, if you don't have the tune in your head, perhaps it's best to hum another (or) YMMV!

jack
Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #462

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Going to try this on our 1989 16ft Scamp Deluxe in a couple of weeks--cannot wait to see the results from this. This post was veryyyyyy helpful!!!

Tags
poliglow