Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 34 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #661

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Amazing what a LOT of work will accomplish! It looks great.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #662

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Amazing what a LOT of work will accomplish! It looks great.
Its really just a little over an hour of scrubbing and an hour of wiping the stuff on. I would rather do 10 more than fold my body into the compartments adding a water pump, changing the sink and the plumbing again. This was most likely the quickest , easiest and most rewarding overhaul or upgrade yet. Well, opening the box and shoving the porta potty under the couch was pretty simple
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #663

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Bee-you-ti-ful!!!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #664

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
So how much zep does it take to do a full egg?
Do you need more than one gallon?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #665
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The question should be how many eggs can I do with a full gallon
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #666

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I did five coats on my fifth wheel, and I'm not sure I used half a gallon, even with dumping the leftovers in the pan I used.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #667

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have done at least 4 coats two different times and doubt I used a quart yet. I do put it on in thin coats to avoid drips.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #668

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I used Poliglow on one unit and Red Max aka Zep on another and couldn't tell the difference. I did like the tools and cleaner the Poliglow came with but the Barkeeps Friend cleaner also works well. I still got 1/2 bottle of Poliglow left after doing my 16' Casita and that was two summers ago. It still has a nice shine. They say the Poliglow has an infrared blocker that allegedly holds up better in the sun but I have not heard of or seen any difference yet.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #669

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Thanks for the update Gene, it is nice to know how things are holding up after 2 years.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #670

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree, with 4-5 coats per 13' egg = 2 eggs per gallon (A Scamp and a Bigfoot) still have about 1 cup left in the bottle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #671

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A one gallon bottle will probable last you longer than you may own your egg....good product.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #672

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
8-10 coats on a 16-17 footer.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #673

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
That looks fantastic. Everywhere you go people are going to Cirlce around and admire your rig.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #674

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
I have just compounded my fiberglass boat can I put this Zep product right on top of it ?? Or do I have to remove wax buildup ? My boat was oxcidized and no shine with a buffer and meguiers compound brought back blue and white color . Inquiring minds want to know
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #675

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I have just compounded my fiberglass boat can I put this Zep product right on top of it ?? Or do I have to remove wax buildup ? My boat was oxcidized and no shine with a buffer and meguiers compound brought back blue and white color . Inquiring minds want to know
I think (my opinion only) that the floor wax treatment is most effective on pitted fiberglass because the multiple thin coats fill in the pits and present a smooth clear shiny surface.

If you get a smooth surface with buffer and polishing abrasive or have a newer camper without the pits in the gel coat that develop with age I think any wax will give you a good shine. Zep is pretty tough being designed to be walked on but from an appearance standpoint any fiberglass wax on a smooth egg should look good.

You buff my 37 year old gel coat to smooth and I doubt it would have gel coat in some places.

I think it is always best to start with a bare surface. Important that underlying surface be totally clean so as to not trap dirt or stains under new wax. Trapping old wax seems less than ideal to me also. If you are waxing a floor you always start with stripping the old wax.

I will say it's always fun to answer the question "what year is it" and get back a "No Way!" Shiny is nice.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #676

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
ON A BOAT???
I didn't read back through the posts but I didn't remember anyone reporting any experience with ZEP wax on a boat.

This is a floor wax and it might not like being submerged or under under water for extended periods of time, and taking it off can be a bear.....

Proceed at your own risk and peril.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #677

Michigan
I know it has been used on boats, don't know how well it performs below the water line. Recall someone from maritime part of N. America said boat shops normal prep cleaning for painting will not remove it. Common enough that it's known in the marine industry.

Removal for general use is not too bad. Ammonia and water removes floor wax, manufacturer makes remover that people have used with good results on campers. Someone discovered (by accident) that the coin operated car wash tire/whitewall cleaner removes it also.

If having someone prep for fiberglass work or painting be sure to make them aware that this type of wax has been used, because it is tougher than most waxes and thin enough to get into pits, prep cleaning appropriate to this product is required.

Any wax or polish carries this issue of prep cleaning but making the shop aware of the specific product they have to clean before getting a quote or the work done is on you. Wax contamination of any kind ruins new paint job, and bond of fiberglass work.

I should add if your going to add decals / stripes or have painting done on camper or boat wait until after that work to use any wax, you just making work for yourself otherwise.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #678

Name: Paul
Trailer: Carriage LS
Georgia
I am new to this forum or any forum, for that matter, and am not sure how to poset a question. So, if I'm in the wrong place please feel free to redirect me on how to do it correctly. I have recently applied 4 coats of Zep floor wax to the front of my 15 yr old trailer and it looks really good. But I have noticed that there are numerous dust flecks embedded in one or more coats of the wax. We are in the height of a very bad pollen season here in GA and I suspect that is what the flecks are. Is there anyway to remove or minimize these particles or do I have to start over. All suggestions greatly would be greatly appreciated.
Bigfoot15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #679

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
I would think you could use the Zep stripper on a rag and gently wipe until the fleck is gone then re apply a few coats over the area. Once the flecks are removed and spotted in, do a complete final coat to blend it all together. Borrow a garage or closed space with less pollen.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #680

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
BigFoot.
Welcome!
I've been applying floor finish from Sam's club and have found to make it really shine after it hardens for a few days in the sun use a 7" buffer with a wool pad and an automobile polish, not a polish/wax, just a fine polish and it will blind you it's so bright and when you fall on it you'll slide right off it will be so smooth.
So it just might rid your embedded pollen.
But if you try the floor finish remover it's all or nothing. Think the whole trailer. Been there and done that. However the finish remover will leave the dull fiberglass whiter and brighter then ever.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow