Illinois
Registry
BTW----This Scamp is for sale!!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #478

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I saw a few people mention to use a "white" scrub pad when using bar keepers friend. I looked at ACE, Home Depot & Walmart & didn't find one. Any idea where I can look? Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #479

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
We used green scouring pads with the Bar Keepers-worked just fine-then used TSP and scrubbed it down again, rinsed real well then applied like 6 coats of the Zep Wet Look Floor Finish---looks great! Word of warning-wear rubber gloves, even when using the Bar Keepers--took a layer of skin off my hands.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #480

Name: David
Trailer: 13 ft Casita 1985
Iowa
I also used the green scratch pad. and yes it would be a good idea to wear gloves. It took a week for my hands to recover from the dryness.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #481

Name: lucille
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
Randy I am curious about the awning on your Trillium 4500 - was it retrofitted and if so where did you order it from?
Lucille
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #482

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Randy has put a few types on Lucille. See this thread:
advice re: awnings for 13' Trillium
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #483

Name: joe
Trailer: Scamp 1984 13 ft
West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
Has anyone stripped the Red Max from their Egg? I used Red Max on my Scamp about 4yrs ago, it is starting to ware off in a few spots.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #484

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNikirk
Has anyone stripped the Red Max from their Egg? I used Red Max on my Scamp about 4yrs ago, it is starting to ware off in a few spots.
What? You only got 4 years out of the floor wax? Seriously, they also sell a Red Max stripper at the same store.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #485

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNikirk View Post
Sorry cant help you with the issue of getting it off but as you are one of the first here to have used the product for more than a couple of years would you be willing to tell us what you are seeing happen to it in the spots that are an issue? Is it just worn down or is it peeling?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #486

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I stripped off 3 years of poly glow. The polyglo stripper sort of worked, ammonia was Ok if it had not been touched with polyglo stripper, tried a buffer with medium cut polishing coumpound no good,finally went to red Max stripper full strength worked great. Scrubbed with poly ox which is just high price bar keepers friend rinsed well put 5 coats of red max on with poly glo applicator and finished with a coat of turtle wax to get the best shine. Keep in mind my VT is painted.
Stripped my brother inlaw's Scamp using the same process and took off a lot of oxidation. Took 5 + coats Red Max to get a shine I would have put a couple more on but that's me.
From this experience I would say the Poly glo sticks pretty tight.
Michael J
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #487

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Quote:
Hi Joe,

Four years is the longest duration I've heard yet using this floor stuff on an egg. That sounds like a pretty good testimonial. Would it be possible to see pix of how is wore? It would also be great to have some context about the elements it was exposed to over this time and what kind of maintenance cleaning and care helped it go that long. If you can, that would be a super contribution!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #488

Name: joe
Trailer: Scamp 1984 13 ft
West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
The problem I am having is that I took my Scamp through a local car wash. There must have been some type of chemical remaining in the brush used by the previous customer. What ever it was, it left streaks in the finish. This is why I want to strip the old wax off and start all over. I live in the mountains No eastern WV where my egg is exposed to all types of weather. I am sold on Red Max it has held up better than I expected without peeling. There is a few worn spots but after 4yrs that can be expected.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #489

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
The problem I am having is that I took my Scamp through a local car wash. There must have been some type of chemical remaining in the brush used by the previous customer. What ever it was, it left streaks in the finish.
Earlier on in the thread, someone commented that the engine degreaser at the carwash had taken the Redmax Pro right off.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #490

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNikirk
The problem I am having is that I took my Scamp through a local car wash. There must have been some type of chemical remaining in the brush used by the previous customer. What ever it was, it left streaks in the finish. This is why I want to strip the old wax off and start all over. I live in the mountains No eastern WV where my egg is exposed to all types of weather. I am sold on Red Max it has held up better than I expected without peeling. There is a few worn spots but after 4yrs that can be expected.
Sorta why I stripped the Poly Glo, I used their cleaner as directed as I was going to add another coat as poly Glo reccomends each year, but as it ran down the side it seemed to clean better as it showed up as white streaks near bottom. As I worked my way down from the roof these areas would dry. Once dried nothing would touch it except concentrated red max stripper. Once I found it it was no big deal and the cost was about$9 / gal. I decided to use the Red max once I had it cleaned as I was about out of Poly Glo and new it would at least 4 coats starting from scratch.
Have Picts of the streaking but they don't show up too well.
Michael J.

Tags
poliglow