Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 35 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #681

Name: roger
Trailer: FIBER STREAM
Washington
We bought a 1984 Fiber Stream in April of 2013. The exterior was very oxidized and dull. We used a fiberglass cleaner and then a polish. It did not shine. We cleaned off the fiberglass polish and started over.

We washed off all residue of the previous attempt. Then we applied Zep Wet-Look Floor Finish (Lowes). We wiped it on with a clean lint free cotton cloth. By the time I circled the trailer the first coat was dry. After three coats the finish was spotty and looked like it would never even out and shine. Three more coats took care of the problem. It shined beautifully.

That was a year ago and the shine has never diminished. We live in the Pacific Northwest and get lots of rain and it has been no problem.

It was so easy to do and looks brand new.
itsroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #682

Name: Robbie
Trailer: 2002 Casita, 17' SD
Tennessee
Casita Looks like new

So thankful I found this site and thread! I have a 2002 Casita that was very faded and chalky!! I stripped off the old decals and installed new graphics.

After reading all 49 pages I decided to try Zep.Took me two days, I scrubbed with BF and wet sanded with 800 grit sandpaper. Then I applied 5+ coats of Zep.

It turned out GREAT, looks like a new camper! Attached are before and after pictures.

Before:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	71182

After:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	71183
rdmiller380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #683

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Did mine also,
Sanded with 240 grit, cleaned with BF ..
Then lots of coats of zep.
Look fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #684

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Another.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #685

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yup, keep telling people Zep is the way to go
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #686
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita
Not a fan of Zep...at all

Sorry, but I disagree about Zep. I used it and it'll keep your fiberglass looking new for awhile, but less than two years later my Casita developed horrible flaking all over, especially bad at the upper curve. It took me three days to get it all off using floor stripper straight from the bottle (diluted with water, as recommended on the instructions, didn't touch it). I then applied three coats of Poli Glow. Yes, it's more expensive, but also has UV inhibitors and is made specially for fiberglass.

If you insist on using Zep (which is probably because you don't want to spend the money on Poli Glow), keep your trailer covered or out of the sun.

Just sayin...Zep wasn't worth the money I saved.

Eileen
Arizona Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #687

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sorry to hear about your problem Eileen with the Zep. My results so far at one year in the California desert where my SD sits outside 24/7 has had no problems at all. I was stationed in Phoenix for 2 1/2 years (Luke AF and as it was hot in the summer it never got as hot then as it does here, 125*. I don't knock your expirence with Zep but as I've never seen anyone state the same problem with it I can only think that maybe something happened in the prep stage may have caused your problem with it. Time will tell for me how it lasts . I'm sure someone else will give different replys.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #688

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'm seeing flaking at the turn of the roof after three years on our Burro. My enthusiasm for Red Max apparently justifiable only to the medium term.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #689
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Eileen View Post
Sorry, but I disagree about Zep. I used it and it'll keep your fiberglass looking new for awhile, but less than two years later my Casita developed horrible flaking all over, especially bad at the upper curve. It took me three days to get it all off using floor stripper straight from the bottle (diluted with water, as recommended on the instructions, didn't touch it). I then applied three coats of Poli Glow. Yes, it's more expensive, but also has UV inhibitors and is made specially for fiberglass.

If you insist on using Zep (which is probably because you don't want to spend the money on Poli Glow), keep your trailer covered or out of the sun.

Just sayin...Zep wasn't worth the money I saved.

Eileen
Three days ? After two years. On my 4500 after two years it peeled on the roof where there is always moisture of some type be it rain ,snow ,or dew took me less than 3 hours to strip and refinish with the zep and I probably won't have to do it for another year . Three hours work vs 2 hours every other week using wax with poor results does not add up for me
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #690

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Arizona
We used Zep on our old Trillium a couple of weeks ago, but for folks opposed to the floor polish, it looks like this will be on an Amazon lightning deal starting at 6pm Eastern: Meguiar's Marine & RV Fiberglass Restoration System by Meguiar's http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY4YT/..._jrqFtb0KW04PG
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #691

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thanks Kelly, I was thinking of buying that so just ordered some!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #692

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Me too. Thanks, I ordered the amazon deal.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #693

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Interesting to read about how ZEP is holding up for people. Our experience has been good so far. Like Roger with the Fiberstream, who posted awhile back, we have an older trailer which sits outside uncovered in the Pacific NW. We applied 5 coats of ZEP a year ago and so far it is holding up great. NO signs of flaking or peeling anywhere.

We just applied another coat after giving the trailer a thorough cleaning - wash as usual, rinse, buff with Barkeeper's Friend, rinse, wash with TSP solution, rinse, let dry thoroughly. Apply ZEP with microfiber cloth. Easy-peasy and super shiny. So far, so good. I think that even if we start to see flaking in places, it will be cheaper and easier to strip the finish off in those places and redo it once in awhile than to be constantly doing a conventional waxing job.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #694

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Decal Dilemma

Hi all,

I know we're a little silly for this, but let's just say that we waxed our baby before we put on two small decals that we'd like to add. Any suggestions how to proceed?

We're planning on putting several more coats of wax on her this fall; should we put the decals on at that time and just hope they stick or do we need to strip?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #695

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Used Red Max / Zep 3 years ago (see post #246 on Page 18).
Results were great and looked new after just washing till this year. Not much left on roof - could have been the sun, could have been the scrubbing with bleach, could have been fewer coats originally. I would recommend making sure all oxidized areas are buffed smooth before applying finish.
Couldn't detect any yellowing and rather than peeling it just kind of wore away on roof.
This year after washing and some buffing I reapplied 4-5 light coats and these are the results. Probably 5 hours work including washing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140612_150210.jpg  
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #696

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Chris, I used Poliglow on my 98 Casita about 2 years ago. I noticed that my roof area is in need of another round of it. A couple North Dakota winters probably was extra hard on it too. It seams the Zep/Red Max is holding up just as well. I remember reading a comment recommending a fresh coat every spring. seems like a good piece of advise.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #697

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
New fisher: What is that black stuff above the door? Did your Burro have pits or anything when you started? If so, how did you get such a nice finish before waxing? Where do you get Barkeepers Friend?? Thanks!
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #698

Registry
Most grocery stores or Walmart, Kmart or Target should have Barkeepers Friend. It's a common cleaner in a round container like Comet cleaner.
Bar Keepers Friend, Cleanser & Polish, 12 oz (340 g) - iHerb.com
Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #699

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Hi all,

Since I can't seem to find RedMax locally, I went to a Marine boat shop and found two Meguiar products they recommended.... I have already bought Barkeepers Friend, liquid in a bottle. So I'm wondering:

- do I need the Meguiar One Step Compound+Polish if I use Barkeepers friend?
- would the Meguiar Marine Wax be the same as the RedMax?
- how much do I need to buy? 15ft trillium... the marine wax comes in 32oz bottle for $36

Thanks for any ideas!
Bee
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #700

Registry
I'm not familiar with the marine wax but I would doubt it is as long lasting as the Red Max. The thing is Red Max is not longer available. The replacement you should look for is called Zep Floor finish. Same thing, same manufacturer I believe. Either that or order the Poliglow off Amazon or some provider on line.

Tags
poliglow