Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 36 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #701

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Bee,
I found Zep at Home Depot and Canadian Tire, it replaces the Red Max (same company different label). If you go the McGuires route I would still do the barkeepers friend first. It works as a precleaner and will give you a better result.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #702

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I haven't used Zep- still have some Poliglow so probably won't anytime soon. BUT... my problem is not sun, it is wind-driven sand. I'm wondering if maybe I hit the trailer with Poliglow twice a year if I wouldn't have to strip and start over every few years. It doesn't flake- it's just gone. I haven't redone it this year as I figured I'd wait until after my ocean camping trip and then maybe the finish would last until the winter winds hit.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #703

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Eileen View Post
Sorry, but I disagree about Zep. I used it and it'll keep your fiberglass looking new for awhile, but less than two years later my Casita developed horrible flaking all over, especially bad at the upper curve.
I wonder if what Eileen experienced is because her trailer is much newer than most of ours? I also wonder who is using the sealer first and who is not? Should we start a new thread to summarize techniques and results? E.g.:
  1. Trailer age
  2. # of coats of sealer
  3. # of coats of Red Max/Zep
  4. Length of time it lasted
  5. Location
  6. Stored covered or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
BUT... my problem is not sun, it is wind-driven sand.
I wonder if the ZEP "High Traffic" might be better for Bobbie, rather than using the "Wet Look". Once again I question the use of the sealer as a pre treatment. I consider it like using a primer for paint. Something that preps the surface and gives you a better bond.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #704

Registry
Well, I'm still going on PolyGlow until I run out (or learn which is the correct spelling- I use them all interchangeably.) I still have the prep stuff, too, so this time will strip and start fresh. (Also want to finally get my decals on.)

On an OT note, though- I tried a Zep product for cleaning tile, and man, that's the best stuff I ever used for old kitchen tile, hands down. I never found anything before that really cleaned up the grout but it was great.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #705

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Well just did my sunbaked 1998 Casita with a mix of Polyglow and Redmax that came with the trailer when we bought it. All I can say is OMG. I put on 5 coats after cleaning it with the polyglow cleaner mixed around 3-1. It brought the finish back from the dead. I used up what was left of the polyglow on the first 3 coats then switched to the Redmax for the last 2. The Redmax seemed to go on better but this may be due to getting a good base to apply it to.

I will post some pictures. It started to drizzle right after I did it so no pictures yet.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #706

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Hello Dudley, good to see you are having "fun". Post some pics of the "old girl" when you can. I'd like to see it all shinned up. I'm enjoying my new Scamp.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #707

Registry
Rereading some (not all!) of this thread- but I think considering how long a quart of Poliglow lasts, I can afford another quart, and I already know it goes on easily and lasts. Sounds like Zep is harder to apply neatly? I haven't even looked to see if I can find it.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #708

Registry
One way to do it is to use the Zep for the first 3-4 coats and finish with the Poliglow. It's essentially the same stuff. They say the Poligolw has an ingredient to deal with the sun so if it's on the top tow layers that should be covered.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #709

Registry
Good idea. But I'd have to store the rest of a gallon of Zep. I'd rather store Poli Glow considering how much use I got from a quart.

Now I can't decide whether to wash and use Poli Prep now, and then do two coats, and wait for the rest to come, or wait until I can finish the job.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #710

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Here are some pic of the Casita after the polyglow/Red max. Hi Gene , the trailer is coming along and yes we are having fun with it. The pictures don't do it justice!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0054.jpg   IMG_0053.jpg  

IMG_0051.jpg   IMG_0048.jpg  

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #711

Name: Mike
Trailer: Work And Play
Michigan
I do not own an "Egg", but a fiberglass sided 5ver Work And Play. I bought it as a repo and am trying to get it more presentable. I will not bore you with all the work I have done trying to restore the shine, to the fiberglass, but internet searches have led me to you fine folks.
Last night while at Home Depot, I looked at the different Zep products. For "step 3", there where (2) options. (1) high gloss with 19%solids ($25.00 per gallon) and an industrial with 20% solids ($17.00 per gallon). I bought the $17.00 gallon due to higher solids an price.
When I got home I did a test section, (6) coats and it looks "ok"? Did I make a mistake buying the cheaper gallon, or do I need more coats?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #712

Michigan
I do not own an "Egg", but a fiberglass sided 5ver Work And Play. I bought it as a repo and am trying to get it more presentable. I will not bore you with all the work I have done trying to restore the shine, to the fiberglass, but internet searches have led me to you fine folks.
Last night while at Home Depot, I looked at the different Zep products. For "step 3", there where (2) options. (1) high gloss with 19%solids ($25.00 per gallon) and an industrial with 20% solids ($17.00 per gallon). I bought the $17.00 gallon due to higher solids an price.
When I got home I did a test section, (6) coats and it looks "ok"? Did I make a mistake buying the cheaper gallon, or do I need more coats?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407071796.125205.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	74401

Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #713

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Can't say that I have ever seen two different versions of ZEP "Wet Look", but I would guess that a higher solids concentrate should cost more if it is, indeed the same stuff, only better?

That said, the positive reports I have been reading about the ZEP product have been applications on light colored molded fiberglass surfaces which is somewhat different in surface finish and texture than the black sheet fiberglass your 5er is constructed of, and that may also make a difference. I also know that the flat surface fiberglass sheeting (especially darker colors?) is more prone to weathering damage, and something we may see after many, many rears, called "shredding" where tiny shreds of fibers start appearing on the surface.

To answer your question, on the three molder fiberglass RV's I have done, 4 coats always did the job.

As most modern RV's now use that same type of sheeting, you might check on some of the conventional built sites as they will have more experience with restoration of that specific material than most of us hereabouts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #714

Registry
Dudley, it looks great. I see you removed the AC like you said too. Glad to see it went to a good home. Did you get the Fantastic Fan problem solved too? Happy camping!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #715

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
036.6 Turbo,
On my Wells Fargo trailer I used automotive wax to polish it up!!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #716

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Can't say that I have ever seen two different versions of ZEP "Wet Look", but I would guess that a higher solids concentrate should cost more if it is, indeed the same stuff, only better?

That said, the positive reports I have been reading about the ZEP product have been applications on light colored molded fiberglass surfaces which is somewhat different in surface finish and texture than the black sheet fiberglass your 5er is constructed of, and that may also make a difference. I also know that the flat surface fiberglass sheeting (especially darker colors?) is more prone to weathering damage, and something we may see after many, many rears, called "shredding" where tiny shreds of fibers start appearing on the surface.

To answer your question, on the three molder fiberglass RV's I have done, 4 coats always did the job.

As most modern RV's now use that same type of sheeting, you might check on some of the conventional built sites as they will have more experience with restoration of that specific material than most of us hereabouts.
Yes, I have checked other sources for ideas, tried a lot of them. Still looking for a better finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
036.6 Turbo,
On my Wells Fargo trailer I used automotive wax to polish it up!!
Thanks, I have used that also. As I said, I will not bore you with all of the sorted details about trying to restore this thing, but I am a hobbiest automotive painter. I used my background in that field, on this unit with limited success.

If I did to a car, what I have done to this, you would have to wear sunglasses when looking the car!

Here is a link to further explain;
New member and Work and Play owner - Forest River Forums

Fast forward to post #35 to see what I have done with the finish, thus far.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #717

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I have used poly. I loved the look, felt there was no reason to change to Zep. I have a place where I can look down on the top of the " Lil Big Foot ". ( It was parked where I could not see the top ) I was shocked to see that the finish had come off in large patches, leaving large dull places. I was very careful to clean the whole " Egg ". I have Zep from my brother and Poly. left over. From what I have read, put on one or the other alone, -Zep first, and poly second, or the reverse ! I am going to strip what is on " It ", flip a coin, or go with the Zep, because, how can it be worse than the poly ? Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #718

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Stripping the top is problematic as you have to be careful any portion of the stripper runs can move down the side of the trailer taking dirt with it which rebounds with the finish and leaves streaks. I had issues with every option I tried even with lots of rinsing. Resorted to a complete strip and reapplication of Zep. The comment applies to both poly Glo and Zep as I have used both

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #719

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
How are people doing the top of their trailers? Are you using a long handled microfiber brush? The sides I can do, but I am not sure about the top.

Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 PM   #720

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Stripping the top is problematic as you have to be careful any portion of the stripper runs can move down the side of the trailer taking dirt with it which rebounds with the finish and leaves streaks. I had issues with every option I tried even with lots of rinsing. Resorted to a complete strip and reapplication of Zep. The comment applies to both poly Glo and Zep as I have used both

I have a 2002 17' Casita and I want to strip the old polish and wax off the sides and was wandering how you did the sides ? The top being flat no problem but the sides will be harder and what striper did you use ?
Thanks in advance. Jay
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow