Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 38 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #741

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
If you read the labels, poliglow and the zep floor wax contain essentially the same ingredients , same with the respective strippers, only real difference is the significant price per oz. for poliglow. Have used both and see no difference. Both need a yearly maintenance cleaning and recoat.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #742

Name: Whaler
Trailer: '89 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho
British Columbia
Registry
So I bought some of the ZEP stripper today and filled a garden sprayer, then to my amazement one even coat on a 4x4ish area basically peeled right off!! I did use a scrub brush on a few sticky ares but, a hose set to stream washed probably 90% away. I will need to go around again and hit a few areas, but I am very pleased with the ease of removal....whew! I thought I might be wet sanding for days.
Here you can see it streaking off in yellow nicotine like drips. Gonna be ready for new decals before I know it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6581.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	83548

So can we get polyGlow with UV inhibitors in Canada?
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #743

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Make sure it's all REALLY gone Whaler. I had the same experience, at first thinking the wax stripper was removing the wax easily. But after thinking I got it all off, I started with the 3M restorer and that is when the residual floor wax started appearing like blotchy dull spots/areas. You could only see it with the light at certain angles but getting that last bit of floor wax off turned out to be quite a project requiring a lot of stripper and elbow grease. I hope you have better luck than I did.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #744

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
After a quick text with the previous owner, he says the Zep was last applied 2 years ago.
So now what to do...? I think I'm gonna start with a wash, then a strip, then maybe another wash with BKF, then do a few tests with "my" methods.

I will post any updates..
You have highlighted the reason that some of us have suggested here for a long time it is not a great product to use if you ever plan to sell the trailer..... some of use would be far happier to have a trailer thats fiberglass has not been contaminated with it and get the shine back the good old fashion way.

If it was mine I would get it off with what ever works, if you can and then give a 3M marine compound a go with a power buffer and wool pad..... then do a little test to see if actual took it off - if it did then use a little 3M Finesse it - again with the wool pad and power buffer - its a bit pricey but a bottle will do the whole trailer & an extra step well worth taking for that final bit of shine - wax it and your good to go!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #745

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Will that 3M Finesse bring a shine to my kitchen tile?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #746

Name: Whaler
Trailer: '89 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You have highlighted the reason that some of us have suggested here for a long time it is not a great product to use if you ever plan to sell the trailer..... some of use would be far happier to have a trailer thats fiberglass has not been contaminated with it and get the shine back the good old fashion way.

If it was mine I would get it off with what ever works, if you can and then give a 3M marine compound a go with a power buffer and wool pad..... then do a little test to see if actual took it off - if it did then use a little 3M Finesse it - again with the wool pad and power buffer - its a bit pricey but a bottle will do the whole trailer & an extra step well worth taking for that final bit of shine - wax it and your good to go!!
Yup my thoughts exactly Carol. Thanks again Trainjunkie. I already have enough polishing compounds & creams to buff a hundred surfboards, as well as a machine with many diff polishing bonnets & sponges....
I have done a small test patch which looks great....its more work but won't require stripping this crap off every couple years.
Here's another pic of it dripping off...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6584.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	83593
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #747

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Will that 3M Finesse bring a shine to my kitchen tile?
LOL are they fiberglasss?

If not then I would suggest you choose a product designed to work with whatever they are actually made of whether they be a natural stone or porcelain tiles as it been my experience that one needs to use different products designed to work on the surface you are shining up. Using a product that was made to shine up porcelain on a natural stone will result in a bit of a mess.... a bit like using a product that was designed for interior wood floors will lead to a mess on a fiberglass trailer.

The 3M Finesse It is used after one has had to use a compound product on Fiberglass to get the faint swirls out of the finish that may result from having used a heavier compound or from other sources such as someone using a product such as Bar Keepers Friend to remove black streaks from their trailer. The later is something we see suggested here all the time - again Bar Keepers Friend was not designed for use on the gel coat finish of fiberglass and will dull it and leave faint marks on the gel coat that will need to be polished out.

If using a very light compound such as the 3M Restore and Wax product you would not need to use the 3M Finesse It product as there is unlikely to be any evidence of swirls as it is their consumer grade products & it has a built in finish component in it that will hide the little it does create if any. The 3M Restore and Wax product is designed to be used on trailers that are only very lightly oxidized (hard to see - just not a nice shiny surface) and will do a great job of removing surface stains such as black drips and bug splatter etc. without damaging the gelcoat. It is not designed for use of a trailer that one can clearly see oxidization on it or is stained right into the gelcoat or that someone has scrubbed hard with Bar Keepers Friend.

Unfortunately once someone has applied a product such as a liquid floor wax to a fiberglass finish the smallest of imperfections in the surface will hold onto it and the consumer grade 3M Restore and Wax is not going to have enough compound in it to get it all off - just as it was not designed to clean up a heavily oxidized or stained trailer either.. To clean up a trailer that the oxidization can be clearly seen or one that the gel coat was been contaminated by the use of a product not meant for fiberglass you will need to use a a heavier grade of compound to get it off and then Finesse-it & wax it.

Once you have shined an older trailer back up the old fashion way all it will need in the years to come is a good bath & the use a of product designed for use on fiberglass to remove any surface stains and a good waxing to keep the shine - no need to be wasting time stripping it all down and reapplying a product that in a couple of years is going to start to peel off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #748

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Has anyone buffed out the RMP after application to really shine it up?

If so what did you use.

Also, noticing a couple small runs, hard to see but they are there, any suggestions about what to do with those?

Thanks.
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #749

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Easier to add a couple more coats, 5-6 total make a shine good enough to see your reflection if you cleaned it well to start

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #750

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
So I have around 6 or 7 coats of Red Max on my Burro. It's been looking good for several years now. Parked outside most of the time. We must have had a hailstorm sometime last year because there are spots missing in the wax job and some Texas brown dirt got in so it's looking kinda of crummy. Good thing I can just remove the Red Max with the remover I bought when I bought the wax and start over. Maybe next year.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #751

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Have been meaning to chime in with our experiences with the Red Max/Zep finish on our trailer for some time now. We first applied it in the spring of 2013 after giving the trailer a very thorough cleaning as per all the advice we read here. I think we applied 5 coats and the trailer looked great for a year. In 2014 we cleaned and applied the finish again (maybe 2-3 coats). There was no flaking anywhere (our trailer either sits out in the weather uncovered or is traveling all winter). This year we started to see some flaking, especially on the roof and edges of the roof and on the front of the trailer where it gets lots of abuse from road grit. We cleaned really well again, paying special attention to getting all the flaking bits off. Applied 3 coats and trailer looks pretty darn good again, maybe not as good as some people would like their trailer's finish to look, but good enough for us. We do appreciate the ease of applying this finish. It seems to me that protecting with a traditional wax is just as much if not more work and requires having a power buffer. We'd rather do a quick acceptable to us job and have more time available for having fun. Like so many things, to each his or her own!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #752

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Has anyone buffed out the RMP after application to really shine it up?

If so what did you use.

Also, noticing a couple small runs, hard to see but they are there, any suggestions about what to do with those?

Thanks.
I used car polish, not a wax, just a fine polishing compound and 7" buffer.

It might help on your runs.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #753
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Have been meaning to chime in with our experiences with the Red Max/Zep finish on our trailer for some time now. We first applied it in the spring of 2013 after giving the trailer a very thorough cleaning as per all the advice we read here. I think we applied 5 coats and the trailer looked great for a year. In 2014 we cleaned and applied the finish again (maybe 2-3 coats). There was no flaking anywhere (our trailer either sits out in the weather uncovered or is traveling all winter). This year we started to see some flaking, especially on the roof and edges of the roof and on the front of the trailer where it gets lots of abuse from road grit. We cleaned really well again, paying special attention to getting all the flaking bits off. Applied 3 coats and trailer looks pretty darn good again, maybe not as good as some people would like their trailer's finish to look, but good enough for us. We do appreciate the ease of applying this finish. It seems to me that protecting with a traditional wax is just as much if not more work and requires having a power buffer. We'd rather do a quick acceptable to us job and have more time available for having fun. Like so many things, to each his or her own!
Ditto with me Kathy I'd much rather spend once a year redoing with zep and the rest of my time camping than spending every couple of weeks power buffing only to see the shine dull and my money on high priced wax disappear with it.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #754

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Wow, this might be the most contentious thread of the entire forum. I've read quite a lot of content but nothing comes close to the passion of the replies in this thread. Problem is, no real clear position, except, it's up to each individual owner to decide...hummmm.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #755

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I recommend http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...lus-paste-wax/ for waxing your kitchen floor.
Make sure you wash it with Coca Cola first; rinse with 7-Up.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #756

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Will stickers adhere to poliglow

I am attempting to repair the fiberglass and polish up my little scamp. The door "frame" has that foam insluation tape inside it to help "seal" the door.

Question, i want to use the RMP in that area but will my new adhesive foam strip adhere to the RMP 0nce it is applied to the scamp.

As far as stickers on the body etc, I have new stickers from Scamp and i will adhere those first and apply RMP to the top of those.

Thoughts on the foam Tape??

Thanks
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #757

Name: tami
Trailer: currently shopping
Michigan
help

I've been reading this thread for way to long now and don't have answers to the questions in my head. I just bought my 13' foot scamp today and its nice and clean with poly glow on it and new decals/stickers. If I want to keep it this way can I just put the red pro max on top of the poly glow? can I put it right on top of the new stickers/decals? I'm new, nervous and in love with my first scamp.
janey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #758

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations on your new to you trailer. If you are happy with the looks of the Polyglow, DO NOT apply RedMax Pro over it. I did apply the Red Max Pro to our 13' Scamp with great results, except I noticed that over the decals it looked a little milky. I feel that the Red Max Pro is to be used only if the gel coat can not be brought to life with Polyglow. To properly apply Red Max Pro one must remove all waxes, and greases from the trailer surface prior to applying the Red Max Pro.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #759

Name: tami
Trailer: currently shopping
Michigan
Thank you so much. You are the first to help me with anything. More to come. So I just recoat with poly glow once a year and go right over the decals. I just want to make sure.
janey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #760

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
poli glow vs red max

Is this still working for you guys or is it not good after a few years ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow