Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 39 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #761

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
hi... did you remove oxidation prior to the coats of the floor wax?
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #762

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Maguires Marine/RV Oxidation kit

Has anyone used this product... I see one mention but mostly you all seem sold on the floor wax... I don't know about using it because of having to strip it to reapply it (or so I think from what I read).

Teal
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #763

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think you are misreading the situation. Most of those responding might be using floor wax. Might ask how many wax their kitchen floor with car wax.
I use 3M Marine wax and polish products. Others use other brand waxes intended for fiberglass.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #764

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
The real comparison issue of this thread is that poliglo and red max both contain the same materials in roughly the same proportions. Poliglo is touted to be used on fiberglass boats and RVs. The kit which contains about a pint of poliglo a pint of prep which contains the same ingredients as red max stripper a scrubber pad which is nothing more than a nylon scrubber with a handle and an application mitt which is a micro fiber pad shaped to be a mitt runs about $90
For about $40-50 you can get a gallon of polish and stripper several microfiber cloths and 3m scrubbers plus some BarKeeper's friend
Seems to me to be more bang for the buck to go the Red max route as opposed to Poliglo.
The argument on the comparison of wax or what is essentially a strippable shiny coating is a different critter

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #765
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
The real comparison issue of this thread is that poliglo and red max both contain the same materials in roughly the same proportions. Poliglo is touted to be used on fiberglass boats and RVs. The kit which contains about a pint of poliglo a pint of prep which contains the same ingredients as red max stripper a scrubber pad which is nothing more than a nylon scrubber with a handle and an application mitt which is a micro fiber pad shaped to be a mitt runs about $90
For about $40-50 you can get a gallon of polish and stripper several microfiber cloths and 3m scrubbers plus some BarKeeper's friend
Seems to me to be more bang for the buck to go the Red max route as opposed to Poliglo.
The argument on the comparison of wax or what is essentially a strippable shiny coating is a different
I agree with you Michael except I believe the Zep/ redmax to de even cheaper tha your estimate. I think a lot of people here are recommending power waxes and polishes instead of the Zep because they have either newer trailers or trailers that have not been subjected to years of neglect and the gel coat is still reasonably sound condition and waxes and polish still work well for them. But if your gel coat is beyond that like mine was as I have tried almost every wax and have three different powerwaxers only to get back about 30-40% of the shine and watch it disappear in a couple of weeks than Zep is the answer.
From my experience using Zep and depending on the climate in your area it will require it being done once a year in the spring and maybe a touch up in the fall and a full strip and redo every couple of years.The total time I've spent stripping and zepping my trillium in the past five years is about 12 hours about half the time I spent waxing in the first month of owning the trailer. But as always to each there own
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #766

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Well I started this thread and now after nearly 6 years it's time I show everyone my results.. These campers over the last 6 years has made 8 trips to Kansas, 14 trips to Arkansas and 3 trips to South Dakota through snow, rain and everything in between.. I've not done anything to either since I put the Poliglow and RedMax on them except wash them.. My findings is that the RedMax out preforms the Poliglow by a long shot and cost a fraction of what the Poliglow cost.. Here's my results.. first pictures of the camper that has the poliglow.. You can see it's pealing like a redhead with a severe sunburn all along the top and down the sides..
Attached Images

Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #767

Now the one with the RedMax or Zep on it.. The same on this one nothing done to it in 6 years except was it.. Went on the same trips and same conditions.. The only place it is coming off is along the side trim, everywhere else it's still looks like the day I put it on 6 years ago, still shines and looks good except the spots shown here....
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #768

I thought after I posted the pictures I could click on them and they would blow up individually but I guess not.. Hopefully everyone can see the photo's.. The first pictures are pictures of the Blue 4500 and the second are the Orange 1300 camper that I posted pictures of at the beginning of this thread.....
Old 04-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #769

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Randy, thank you for the updates.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #770

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Apparently "time" has weighed in on the side of Red Maxx/Zep. I suspect the higher solids concentration of the floor coating has a lot to do with it. More material applied per coat.

mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #771
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think you are misreading the situation. Most of those responding might be using floor wax. Might ask how many wax their kitchen floor with car wax.
I use 3M Marine wax and polish products. Others use other brand waxes intended for fiberglass.
Funny thing Glen while I would never recommend car wax for your floor Zep which I use on my fg I inenvertanly spilled on my allure floor and I decided to do the whole floor and it made the floor beautiful ,go figure! it works great on floors also
Old 04-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #772

Did you read the instructions that come with Allure?
"Do NOT wax".
Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #773
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Did you read the instructions that come with Allure?
"Do NOT wax".
Zep has no wax in it ,also works great on my dash works way better than armourall
Old 04-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #774

Hope you don't break a leg. Buddy of mine applied Armorall to the vinyl bucket seats in his van. Took a corner too fast and ended up in the aisle between the driver and passenger seats.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #775
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Hope you don't break a leg. Buddy of mine applied Armorall to the vinyl bucket seats in his van. Took a corner too fast and ended up in the aisle between the driver and passenger seats.
Seats eh ! gives me another idea if only I had leather seats in the ridgeline.maybe the wife will let me try Zep on the new leather sofa.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #776

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Ok, ya got me! After reading about half of this thread I decided to do the CT. It's pretty chalky, and appears whitish instead of the tan that it should be.
I think I've washed it 6 times in the last week.
1- pressure wash
2- bleach and Dawn
3- liquid BKF with a microfiber
4- Dawn
5- dry BKF with white Scotchbrite
6- laundry detergent and Purple Power.

I have a box of TSP, I'll hit it with that, too! It looks pretty nice, I just have to find the right day with low wind and receding pollen to apply the Zep goody.

Was able to reach the roof pretty well in quarters using my Go-rilla ladder set up like so. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462235649.958371.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	94755

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #777
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Ok, ya got me! After reading about half of this thread I decided to do the CT. It's pretty chalky, and appears whitish instead of the tan that it should be.
I think I've washed it 6 times in the last week.
1- pressure wash
2- bleach and Dawn
3- liquid BKF with a microfiber
4- Dawn
5- dry BKF with white Scotchbrite
6- laundry detergent and Purple Power.

I have a box of TSP, I'll hit it with that, too! It looks pretty nice, I just have to find the right day with low wind and receding pollen to apply the Zep goody.

Was able to reach the roof pretty well in quarters using my Go-rilla ladder set up like so. Attachment 94755

Should return the uhaul to its former glory glen just remember you are not waxing but layering thin even coats until your satisfied with the finish.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #778

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Just a bit of caution if you use the TSP - it can leave a residue on some surfaces, so you may want to rinse well. Certainly don't want anything to go wrong for you with all your hard prep work you've done!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #779

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Well, i didn't wash it any further. It looked pretty clean and even, so I just blew it off with compressed air then tacked it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462324100.650986.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	94789

After two coats, it's beginning to even out. Looks nice!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462324184.056620.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	94790

Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #780

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Well, i didn't wash it any further. It looked pretty clean and even, so I just blew it off with compressed air then tacked it.
Beautiful job
But get that rusty old propane tank out of there

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow