Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 41 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 02:59 AM   #801

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Trill View Post
Beautiful! I am sold! Will be working on the prep this week and hope to put Zep on by the weekend.
My Trillium looks like a big piece of tan chalk! I have nothing to lose.
I will post my before and afters.
Thanks for all of the updates!
Just a bit of FYI, your Trill is tan but if anyone is applying Zep, be sure to use a white micro fiber cloth. Some folks used a colored one and ended up with a bit of the cloths color on the shell after waxing .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #802

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Looks great Chris
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #803

Name: Cassie
Trailer: 1979 Trillium
British Columbia
Success!

Thank you to everyone for their input and the advice to use a white microfibre cloth so the colour wouldn't bleed from a coloured cloth onto my trailer. I couldn't find a white one so I soaked my neon orange one in bleach and never had a problem.

With all the rain in the PNW I finally got the Zep on, and how does it look? Amazing!! I think I did 4-5 coats and I couldn't be happier with the results.

My trailer originally looked like it was a huge piece of chalk and now it shines so bright. My trailer was so chalky that if this didn't work I wasn't going to be upset because as far as I was concerned nothing could look worse than what I was starting with.

I took an oil based paint pen and went over our rock guard / window to enhance the original decal and I think the trailer looks like it had a facelift, or Botox, took years off!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Cassie Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #804
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Trill View Post
Thank you to everyone for their input and the advice to use a white microfibre cloth so the colour wouldn't bleed from a coloured cloth onto my trailer. I couldn't find a white one so I soaked my neon orange one in bleach and never had a problem.

With all the rain in the PNW I finally got the Zep on, and how does it look? Amazing!! I think I did 4-5 coats and I couldn't be happier with the results.

My trailer originally looked like it was a huge piece of chalk and now it shines so bright. My trailer was so chalky that if this didn't work I wasn't going to be upset because as far as I was concerned nothing could look worse than what I was starting with.

I took an oil based paint pen and went over our rock guard / window to enhance the original decal and I think the trailer looks like it had a facelift, or Botox, took years off!
Just like they overstate on the bachelor it looks amazing! You will be good to go for the rest of the season and depending on the moisture/ snow that that occurs in your area you will have some light touch up in the spring.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #805

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
You have that 'new trailer shine' once again!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #806

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Two Questions

I have two quesitons that may have already been answered, but this thread is so long now it would take me two years to find it. so here they are.

1) has anyone put RMP over polished aluminum (Im thinking the band on my scamp after I polish it) and how does it do?

2) Can I put a decal over RMP then apply more RMP over the decal and will it remain in place etc? There are a couple replacement decals I did not get from scamp and I dont want to wait a week or two for them to arrive.

Thanks!!!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #807

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
I have two quesitons that may have already been answered, but this thread is so long now it would take me two years to find it. so here they are.

1) has anyone put RMP over polished aluminum (Im thinking the band on my scamp after I polish it) and how does it do?

2) Can I put a decal over RMP then apply more RMP over the decal and will it remain in place etc? There are a couple replacement decals I did not get from scamp and I dont want to wait a week or two for them to arrive.

Thanks!!!!
1) I have by mistake gotten RMP or Zep on my polished aluminum in the past and it looks dull and was not easy to get completely off. My best and easiest results - and I've tried most suggestions here - is to wet-sand / steel wool then polish with Novus (auto glass store). It leaves a protective film that keeps polished look for a long time. They have a product now especially for aluminum but I've used their plastic polish up to now.

2) I wouldn't anticipate problems with decals over wax.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0838.jpg  
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #808

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Chris,
You can be the pioneer and try the RMP on the decals and report back. As far as aluminum I'd steer clear of that and use a metal polish made for that purpose.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #809

California
Registry
Thanks both. I think out of the no-other-option category I'm gonna dive in with the stickers.

The advice on the aluminum is helpful as is the brand you recommended… It always helps to have a first-hand account of how effective something is

Set to take the band off the trailer to polish it it would be easy to make sure that no wax gets on it

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #810

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Can I put a decal over RMP then apply more RMP over the decal and will it remain in place etc? There are a couple replacement decals I did not get from scamp and I dont want to wait a week or two for them to arrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McVeigh View Post
1) I wouldn't anticipate problems with decals over wax.
I'd be tempted to wait to wax in the areas where you want to put the decals. To me the wax would be the weakest link.

Surface > adhesive > decal > wax
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #811

California
Registry
I thought about that but I'm worried about the blending as well… Has anybody ever not done a spot and then added to it later

Old 09-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #812

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can be the pioneer and try the RMP on the decals and report back.
The "Trillilum 4500" on mine was stenciled on rather than decal. Last year I gave it a single wipe with ZEP and it came right up. So good that I made the decision not to replace it with the decal I bought.

Some of my wipe went onto the decal stripe. I'll look at that tomorrow and report back.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #813

California
Registry
I guess I'm unclear on what you mean by giving it a wipe and "it came right up". Not sure what that means. Sorry

Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #814

By single wipe, I lightly cleaned the area (might have been with Awsome), cleaned that off with a wet rag, then put a little ZEP on the cloth and gave it a single wipe over the area. That is one light coat with no sealer.

This is what it looks like a year later. You can see the outline of the wax and the difference in colour on the stripe. The "Trillium4500" was screened on and really faded. The single wipe brought the colours right out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wipe.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	99669

I didn't do a lot because I have to strip the stripes off. I also have to prep the entire trailer for waxing. I have new decal stripes to replace the cracked ones with. I also bought replacement "Trillium4500" decals, but if the Zep is going to bring out the colour like this, I see no need to replace them.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #815

California
Registry
Wow I see what you mean. I put new stickers on my scamp and am waxing it sll. Expecting bye was to keep the stickers safe and sound too
Old 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #816

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
By single wipe, I lightly cleaned the area (might have been with Awsome), cleaned that off with a wet rag, then put a little ZEP on the cloth and gave it a single wipe over the area. That is one light coat with no sealer.

This is what it looks like a year later. You can see the outline of the wax and the difference in colour on the stripe. The "Trillium4500" was screened on and really faded. The single wipe brought the colours right out.

Attachment 99669

I didn't do a lot because I have to strip the stripes off. I also have to prep the entire trailer for waxing. I have new decal stripes to replace the cracked ones with. I also bought replacement "Trillium4500" decals, but if the Zep is going to bring out the colour like this, I see no need to replace them.
Be very careful removing that cracked stripe because it is a real chore, I used a hair dryer to heat it up but that is dangerous also because you don't want to over heat the gel-coat.. Someone else might have a easier way to remove it but that was my best way to do it..... just don't get in a hurry and take your time..... Once removed I painted the new stripe on.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #817

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
To remove the blue trim I would get a 3M Stripe Off Wheel. My neighbor used one and it worked great. BTW you may have some ghosting and color transfer on the gel coat behind the stripes (i did after removing the Casita logo on my 1998 casita)
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #818

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
To me I think the floor polish looks better.
I am still afraid to use these and have gotten great
results with a good marine high grade wax and a lot
of elbow grease! Seeing your great shine it is very tempting
to try.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #819

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro Bill View Post
To me I think the floor polish looks better.
I am still afraid to use these and have gotten great
results with a good marine high grade wax and a lot
of elbow grease! Seeing your great shine it is very tempting
to try.
BB, I've used paste wax and electric buffers on other Rv's but the Zep is so much easier/faster and to me, keeps the shine longer. I can strip and put 5 coats of Zep on my SD 17 in 3-4 hours...with a beer break or two . Bottom line, any kind of wax you are comfortable using is better than nothing at all.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #820

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Dave,

There is no guestion the shine is impressive with the floor polish.
I still like the UV protection I also get from the marine wax and
removing the polish to redo the camper sounds like work!
Something I try hard to avoid!

Bill
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow