Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 42 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #575

Name: Brandy
I would not use a roller.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #576

Name: David
Trailer: 13 ft Casita 1985
Iowa
I would NOT use a roller or you will get streaks and running, from my experience.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #577

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
And here I'm dong mine with Ducky's and and an orbital polisher. I think I'll stick with the old fashioned way for now. More work but I know it will last if I keep a little wax on it. Since mine stays outside in West Texas sun, I'd be afraid of any kind of "coating". Obviously working for those that have tried it..
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #578

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
No roller here. I used a microfiber cloth from the dollar store and 4 coats. Perfect!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #579

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-23-2012 007.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	56967
4 coats and microfiber cloth.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #580

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2015 T@B M@X CS-S - Condo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Ok then, it sounds unanomous...microfiber cloth it is. I sometimes get hairbrained ideas, but check with those who have more experience before I experiment. I like the spray bottle idea. Tapeing off and covering the windows would prevent any overspray.
Thanks for your input.
Alice

CONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #581

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
looks great, Kevin.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #582

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Ok then, it sounds unanomous...microfiber cloth it is. I sometimes get hairbrained ideas, but check with those who have more experience before I experiment. I like the spray bottle idea. Tapeing off and covering the windows would prevent any overspray.
Thanks for your input.
Alice
It really goes on as a thin layer - not like paint. It is easy to wipe it around windows and other obstacles. And since it is clear, any mistakes are not readily visible.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #583

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
It occurs to me that a lot of floor wax devotees have either very small trailers, or very long arms, or they don't do quite all the top. I can think of no way to avoid the arms' length application of elbow grease to the process of cleaning and removing oxidized gelcoat from a trailer roof, whether with rag, sponge, or one-handed rotary buffer deployed as a scrubber.

The first and only time I did our Burro, I found working off a ladder and attempting to reach the center of a wet slippery roof wasn't particularly easy or safe. I settled on a section of scaffold alongside with a duckboard (plywood offcut roughly 2-1/2 X 5') projecting from the scaffold plank out onto the central Pullman section of the roof. This is the same system I've used to replace fans, vents, air conditioner gasket, and several other small thru-hulls atop the trailer. When cleaning, I moved this duckboard at least three times from end to end on each side. I would not want the bearing end of it to mark up newly cured floor wax nor do I want my feet up there spreading dirt and the sweat of my brow falling in wet wax.

The upshot is that when applying Red Max, I work to the centerline of roof from the scaffold plank with the PolyGlo chamois on a painter's extension pole and then move the scaffold back and continue to the bottom of the shell still retaining the pole extension where possible and detailing around windows, tail light recesses, vents and thruhulls with a small handheld chamois also provided by PolyGlo and practically equivalent to a microfiber rag. I wet out both chamoises in a paint roller pan and certainly err on the dry side when wringing out the hand chamois. I wear at least one nitrile glove on the hand that wrings out the chamois to avoid the absolutely shiniest clear nail polish you'll ever see on a man.

As a result of my experience, I feel compelled to ask if anyone in the happy microfiber faction has ever slipped and put a nice big handprint in their fresh wax or found themselves using an elbow or a knee as an applicator. I'm assuming that those who have either not bothered with what can't be seen from the ground or fallen to their death will not answer. The awkward roof situation I've described also prevails when applying conventional buffing waxes and employing a bonnet buffer. Given the general level of engagement with the minutiae of the mechanical arts that I see here every day, I am amazed that these difficulties are never mentioned???????

jack
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #584

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I did our 13' Lil' BigFoot with a ladder and leaned over the roof to do both sides of the centerline (about a 24" wide path) from one side only.

At least with the ZEP product, a quick respray and wipedown seem to take care of any handprints. The polimer (sp?) coating seems to reblend just fine.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #585

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I never had any difficulties with my scamp fifth wheel. I just leaned a ladder up against a window so I didn't get dirt on the fiberglass, and scrubbed 6" over the centerline the first side, then went to the other side. Waxing it was just as easy. I put 5 coats on in under 4 hours. I did wear gloves, that just seems to be common sense.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #586

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Pipe insulation cushions ladder against trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Ladder cushions.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #587

Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Registry
When I did my 1985 16Ft U-Haul VT I had no challenges as you mentioned. I was able to repeatedly hand scrub and rinse up to the center line on both sides without a problem using a simple 6 ladder as seen in one of my pictures on this thread on entry #442. When I was initially scrubbing and washing, I sometimes held the center line ridge to give myself some extra leverage to scrub. But when I applied the 5+ coats of ZEP Wet Look I took my time using a damp micro rag to prevent runs and was able to polish up to the center ridge and never had a challenge . My VT still looks marvelous almost 9+ months later.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #588

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
2 words Sham Wow!
Seriously i agree with what Jack said and i have used both. The Chamois is superior for the final coats to get that killer shine. The Poly Glow applicator has its advantages but to save $ you can find synthetic Chamois at any auto parts store in the car was area relatively cheap, add a 4" wide 3/4 " or thicker board about 6 to 10" long depending on your grip,some 1/2" thick foam, wrap the chamois around so the seam is on top moisten with water and you are good to go. Being an ex pack rat Chemist i had an old squirt bottle that i used to feed the wax to the pad when it became dry, worked well, you could also use a trigger spray bottle just as easily. or you can mist a small area and use the pad to spread it out, finish up (5th +coats)using long sweeping light strokes for the best shine.
Michael J

Tags
poliglow