Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 44 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #861

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bob

My 1999 Casita will always be a 99 too but I like shinny things. I'm 73 and no back surgeries but I do have a weak back.

Climbing the ladder to do the top is what does my legs in so I spread it out over a couple of days.

I've learned over the years to "work smart" and to have big glass of ice water and chair in the shade ready.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #862

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
joe

Joe your are funny! Don't do too much funning!

I have a 5 acre yard 3000.00 worth of leaf blowin equipment this year I had new rods and other stuff put in my back second time. I am set back the leaves and scamp mantaince are off the work board entirely!

I just hosed the Scamper off yesterday and noticed I blew one of my rivet covers off so with my weak back I have to find another one buried somewhere in the scamper find the silicone caulk and replace it.

all my rivets need to be removed and s/s screws put in I cant do it and I cant seem to find any of my kiddees to help out!

life is hard sometimes

good luck oh just wait for 75 you will see!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #863

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I'm still using ZEP going on 9 years now and it still works for me

All the companies mentioned above are aiming at customers with new(er) trailers who's gel coat are in good condition.
For many of us such is not the case

Often those with newer trailers with the gel coat in good condition extol the value of using products specifically for finishes still in good condition.

For the rest of us ZEP or Poly-Glow gives us a like new look and feel.

I once read a thread like this where a respondent recommended using xyz product "from new". Many of us don't have that opportunity
hey Joe,

My trailer is 40 years old this year, probably fared better than some of the people that built her andshe has lastd quite well over the years. I do have a few questions though. For the peple that have used ZEP nad poliglow products, and I have only noticed this on two trailers that I have come across that have used these products, so not much to compare on really. I noticed that that the person that used the Poliglow ( 4 coats) the skin (well cured) felt slightly tacky. Now is this why Poliglow suggests to apply a wax after or is this to add more protection or both?

I have not had the opportunity to feel the skin of a trailer that ZEPhas been applied to and I am wondering if this did occur as well that a slight buffing would work as well or do people apply a layer of wax as well?

Last question. For those that have used ZEP and later strip it off, does the stripping affect the decals, as I have two wide stripes of decal that go all around my belly band?

Thanks to all that have contributed to my questions and to this forum.

On a side note, the dometic RM2354 fridge gave up the ghost, replaced her with a Nova Kool last year, it was so worth it. No more blow outs, stupid motherborad deciding if it wanted propane , 12v or shore power. Really loved the manual ones better.But no more venting issues anymore.

DJB
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #864

Missouri
stripper

take my word for it some of those strippers can be powerful why do I now this stuff? I sold it for a living!

I have no advice but to be very careful when using any of it!

good luck

bob
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #865

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Greg, I had used the Red Max Pro on our 13’ Scamp, as I was never able to get it to shine and last more than 3 month with regular waxes. The Red Max made it look like a new trailer, but since I had to apply it outdoors in the dusty Arizona desert, the feel of the finish was rough since it had all the dust particles trapped in it. I sure wish I could have done it inside after a good rain when the air would be cleaner. I noticed that where I had applied the Red Max over decales, it looked a little milky, so I avoided applying it over the decales. I later was able to get the trailer into the garage after removing the TV antenna, putting on a flat top vent cover, and using 10” wheels, so the Red Max still looked great 3 years after application. I don’t know how long it would have still looked great, as we sold the trailer.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #866

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1977 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Greg, I had used the Red Max Pro on our 13’ Scamp, as I was never able to get it to shine and last more than 3 month with regular waxes. The Red Max made it look like a new trailer, but since I had to apply it outdoors in the dusty Arizona desert, the feel of the finish was rough since it had all the dust particles trapped in it. I sure wish I could have done it inside after a good rain when the air would be cleaner. I noticed that where I had applied the Red Max over decales, it looked a little milky, so I avoided applying it over the decales. I later was able to get the trailer into the garage after removing the TV antenna, putting on a flat top vent cover, and using 10” wheels, so the Red Max still looked great 3 years after application. I don’t know how long it would have still looked great, as we sold the trailer.
Dave & Paula
I just saw that my friend Dave (DJ posted on my account, that is ok, I was confused for a second when I read the post on my laptop, I lent him my tablet, while his laptop is getting repaired, oh well, I guess I was automaitcally logged in. No harm , no faul.

Hi DJB,

Boler77 Greg
Boler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #867

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
After dry I've never had a gooey finish?
It's almost impossible to apply 6 coats without getting any dust in the finish so I've found that using my 7" buffer and a fine automotive polish after 6 coats of ZEP will remove the dust giving a super slick smooth finish in addition to a mirror like shine.
Then if you apply a coat of wax, I last used a spray, the water will bead up and run off and it will be supper slippery. I only started waxing this year.
I have used ZEP floor stripper at least 4 times times and it did not harm my decals and apply ZEP to them too. I eventually replaced them as the south facing one that gets full sun was beginning to crack. The left side decals were still good as new but I replaced both.
BUT you will want to wear rubber gloves when using the stripper
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #868

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Well I had my trailer close to 5 years now. I get 1-1/2 years on the Zep finish sitting outside in the full socal sun every day. I have never lost the finish on the sides of the trailer just on the top close to the radius on my Scamp 13. First year I tried to save the 35 year old gellcoat with full compounding buffing polishing and waxing. It went from rough dried out egg shell to a smooth wax filled dull eggs shell. Didn't last 6 months and I was pretty much back to square one. Then I went to zep it took me a whole day to strip off the wax coat, buff the surface with Barkeepers to a new white with no streaks, wash the surface and seal with the first coat of zep. That kicked my ass. I was 50 years old then. 1-1/2 years later you could see the top of the trailer the zep was failing so i took the barkeepers friend and cleaned the top and put some more coats of zep on top that took about 3 hours. Other than working on top from a ladder it wasn't like what I went through to get the trailer clean and ready to coat. The new coat on top didn't match the sides since the top was really white again and the zep slightly yellows as it ages. So next winter I decided to strip it the Zep stripper put on direct to the surface and scrubbed off with a Scotch Brite Blue sponge with the non scratch blue scrub surface on the back worked well to push the stripper and zep off. It is not a harsh paint stripper I wore doubled latex gloves to keep most of it off me and I was fine. Its a little harder than washing you car but not much. Then rinse off and a quick scrub with the barkeepers friend and wash off. Then your off doing Zep again. It took me all day but this time it was all done in 8 hours and it was at least 1/2 the effort of cleaning, compounding, polishing and then waxing and buffing. With Zep when its done it looks really great, easy to wash, Black streaks don't stay and wash off easily. If you have covered storage once you zep it, beginning of the camping season you wash the camper with barkeepers to get the zep clean and put on a coat of Zep and it will look shiny new again. Probably wouldn't have to strip it until 5 years or so. But in direct sunlight everyday your going to have to maintain it. As for decals Scamps red on my trailer and black vinyl I have put on there is no problem on my trailer. there is one decal Scamp put on the back under the rear window with 3 trees on it that darkened and suffered badly. Some day I will remove that sucker and be gone with it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #869

Missouri
zep

ever been to the local h/s gym they use a product called gym finish high quality expensive. It stays ands stays I know they strip it down but I have never seen it done. They use an ammonia based stripper you can make your own!

When applying it its put on like a car finish but with using good quality things to apply it! They too use several coats not heavy to get that wet look. As time has progressed so have the quality of the products for these jobs.

I totally admire the work some of you have done on your trailers. Some of you are simply amazin!!

bob
Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #870

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Update

Any update several years later ?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #871

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
lots and lots and lots of reading

Well, I've been watching this topic for a few years now and I've finally read through most of the posts including the reports by long time users. It would seem that the products being used aren't much more than liquid floor wax with varying degrees of UV protectant that don't hold up more than a few years to the sun.

It would seem that each product needs to be stripped and reapplied at regular intervals to maintain the shiny level of gloss everyone holds in high regard.

Maybe someday we'll try this stuff...hummmmm...<_<
Old 05-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #872

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I still don't understand why some insist on using a product designed for polishing floors, instead of using a product designed for waxing and protecting marine and RV gelcoat.
The companies that offer these products spent a lot of money to create them for a specific purpose.

Anybody use 3M Marine cleaner/wax on their kitchen floor? If not, why not?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #873

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I still don't understand why some insist on using a product designed for polishing floors, instead of using a product designed for waxing and protecting marine and RV gelcoat.
The companies that offer these products spent a lot of money to create them for a specific purpose.

I can tell you why "I" used the floor polish "it's NOT wax".. it is a polymer
base product that does not require buffing and reapplying in just weeks like all the wax products out there require.. I can apply the floor finish in a matter of less that a hour and it stands up to at least 4 years of doing nothing what so ever to it besides a go washing ever so often.. Then when it starts to peel I strip it and reapply the finish and then it's another 4 years.. Anything else you can come up with that doesn't require wax-on, wax-off, buffing, reapplying in just a few months and all the hard work that goes along with that, I've not found anything that will do that.. The reason I use Floor Finish instead of the Polyi-glow is because the polyi-glow cost 10 times as much and it doesn't last any longer than the floor finish I've used both and tested both over several years...

"Anybody use 3M Marine cleaner/wax on their kitchen floor? If not, why not?"

Because it takes twice as much work than kitchen wax , probably wouldn't last as long because it's not made to be walked on "BUT" if it's twice as easy as mop-n-glow stands up twice as long and is cheaper SURE I would wax the kitchen floor with Marine Wax but I doubt that very very much...
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #874

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Floor wax vs. marine fiberglass wax...

Quote:

No I don't. But then I don't use floor wax either, since like most residential flooring products nowadays, my floors are no-wax.

I'm also skeptical enough to realize that companies spend plenty of money to convince us their pricey specialty products are better than cheaper general use products. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't. In my climate I have found that fiberglass-specific marine wax lasts about 50% longer than ordinary automotive wax (6 months versus 4 months). In combination with the conditioning compound, it buffs out easier and produces a glossier shine.

I haven't decided to try the floor wax route yet, but I might. I've had some discussions with another forum member who lives in a similar high-altitude Southwest climate, which is pretty hard on all kinds of waxes. He's been using Zep for several seasons, and I believe he does the strip-and-reapply routine once a year, reporting that it's a full day's work. His 17' trailer is larger than mine, so that points to the floor wax being a modest labor savings, even with the need to strip factored in.

I don't think there is a hands-down winner here. Fortunately, neither is permanent nor causes harm, so you can always change your mind.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #875

For me, waxing is no sweat.
My son-in-law does it.
Attached Thumbnails
steve polish.jpg   Steven polish.jpg  

Steven touch.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #876

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
Quote:

Well I do remember using Simonize paste wax on a tile floor. Courtesy of the US Army basic training 1970. Took turns sitting on the big commercial buffer while somebody ran it. The added weight, with a piece of army blanket under the brush did the job ! Man, you could see your face on that floor.

CharlieJ
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #877

I ran one of those polishers on the stateroom floors on a BC Ferry. Try hanging on to one when the ship is pitching this way and that. Good thing the walls were made of steel.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #878

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
Quote:
I ran one of those polishers on the stateroom floors on a BC Ferry. Try hanging on to one when the ship is pitching this way and that. Good thing the walls were made of steel.
As I recall it takes a bit of practice to operate those. First couple of attempts is like a runaway train!! Get out of the way!!!
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #879
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I think what’s being argued here is a apples to oranges comparison , I have been using the zep for the last 7 years on my 45 year old trillium and would never use another wax product as they are 10 times the work and cost with minimal shine and finish but the key here is it is a 45 year old trailer.If fiberglass has not been well maintained over the years it will get to a point of no return and no wax product will bring it back. Now would I recommend Glen use zep on his couple year old trailer no! There’s no comparison and as long as he keeps proper care and waxes regularly for the next 45 years it should never need zep but unfortunately many fg trailers have been neglected and until someone comes up with a better product for older fg trailers and you don’t want to paint zep is the best alternative.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #880

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:

Easy answer for me Glenn, I've done the paste wax thing on all the other RVs I've had. 8 hours to two days just to wax them??? Not happening anymore for this guy. 2 hours to strip, 2 hours to wax and my 17 shines great. This topic always seems to end up two sides, cool, but I have to say that the only comments I've received for having a shiny RV has been the egg with the Zep .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow