Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 45 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #617

Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Registry
Jimbo,

I had posted the pictures over on the U-Haul site, http://www.uhaulcamper.com.

You can see the before and after at

http://www.uhaulcamper.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
OK all of you pros at using the Red Maxx Pro, I tested a small section of my 1971 campster (the cover for the wheel well) just as a jumping off place.

I definitely get a shine, but not that deep deep shine. I have put on several coats.

I am wondering if maybe a) I may have put on too thick of coats (it really goes on easy) or b) am I not allowing enough drying time between coats. It seems to dry quick, but maybe im not letting it dry quick enough.

Please let me know from your personal experiences. I would like to get "perfect" at it before putting it on the rest of my trailer.

Thanks all!!!!

Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #618

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
Thanks Perk, looks great.

Luckily i bought a couple gallons of RMP at Lowes when they were discontinuing it. paid like 8-10 bucks per jug.

Put on SEVERAL coats, but may have either put it on too thick or didnt wait enough between coats.

I am sure its my technique, i am totally sold on the product after reading tis forum a year or so back.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #619

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
California
I used a cut up tee shirt to apply the Red Max Pro 3. I tried to apply thin coats many times. Actual counting the number of coats I used would be a wild guess. I kept applying until I got a good clean shine without a bunch of streaks. Applying thicker coats just breeds runs which creates more work. Once the desired shine is set, it appears a redo probably once a year is worth the time and effort.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #620

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2015 T@B M@X CS-S - Condo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
For those who have used PoliGlo or the like...Did your trailer have still shiny spots? Did the poli glo stick, were there any problems with adherence or coverage? Or was Bar keepers friend used not only to clean, but to dull it down?

CONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #621

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Roof of our trailer was oxidized and dull. Vertical surfaces were still reflective. I scrubbed the entire trailer with BK with emphasis on slightly cutting down the rough roof surface and removing stains elsewhere. I made no attempt whatsoever to roughen surfaces where reflectivity remained and I observe that doing so would take more time than you'd be willing to spend using only BK as an abrasive. The weathering of the Red Max Pro wax has exactly duplicated the previous weathering. No loss on vertical surfaces; noticeable loss on horizontal. I don't believe creating "tooth" on a gelcoat surface to encourage mechanical cohesion of the wax overcoat is necessary. Removal of loose material, dirt, and chemical residues is absolutely recommended by everyone including me.

jack
Old 06-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #622

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I used their cleaner on my unit and also some BK Friend. The trailer was mostly dull. It didn't matter if there was still some shinny spots as far as it went. After a good cleaning I put 5 coats on and it shinned like a new one.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #623

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
buffed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G. View Post
I made a post 6 months ago about my "Test Spot" with some floor stuff. The test spot still looks great.

After reading this thread I went out and bought a gallon of Red Max Pro.

All I can say is this stuff is shockingly good. The shine is unbelievable. I have a 1998 16' Scamp Deluxe.

After the first coat I wasn't sure but as you add coats it evens out. I have 2 coats on one side and 3 on the other so far. I think 4 coats will do it.

Nothing I have done has worked as well as this.

I'm very happy.
Does this stuff have to be buffed? OR does it dry to the wonderful shine I see?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #624

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
No buffing, it dries to a shine!!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #625

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It just comes into it's own at the 4th coat, put on a 5th one for the Gipper....

There are specific instructions for how to buff on the container but, unless you have a lot of foot traffic on the roof and walls, you shouldn't need to ever buff.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #626

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
anyone tried more common household products like the ones our moms were using, like baking soda and vinegar to clean their eggs? i'm always amazed how well it works when my wife take our the baking soda to clean tough stains on dishes..
Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #627

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It just comes into it's own at the 4th coat, put on a 5th one for the Gipper....

There are specific instructions for how to buff on the container but, unless you have a lot of foot traffic on the roof and walls, you shouldn't need to ever buff.

luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #628

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
RedMaxPro redo at 26 months

Beautiful calm, clear, cool weather here past two days so I stripped the roof down to the radius with walls, washed and TSPd walls and ends and recoated 5 coats. Pix below. You can see the ghost in the machine.

jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6035.jpg   DSC_6036.jpg  

DSC_6038.jpg   DSC_6029.jpg  

Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #629

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Between last year and this year I noticed a tiny amount of "less white" effect after using the RedMax. Not yellowed and not really noticeable except that I removed a little caulk that had been put on after cleaning but before RedMax applied. Could see a slight color difference between the area covered by caulk and adjacent area with RedMax.

Going to keep using it, am very satisfied. May end up using the stripper and doing a fresh coat next year. Or not. shiny it still is master Luke.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #630

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Fyi

Just a heads up on the red Maxx ZEP Poly Glo finish. If you try to clean with Super Clean (the Purple stuff) it is a very good finish stripper at least down to 3to 1 dilution. tried to remove some black streaks which it did very well but removed the floor wax also. compounding the issue is before i got it rinsed off the runs cut through the lower finish leaving "clean" lines. I think the red maxx picks up extremely fine dust and you can't tell it as it is a uniform color until the finish is removed. I had the same issue with Poly
Glo. I have a white painted trailer which may make the difference more noticeable. Will likely completely strip and start over later but I'm off to Michigan Thursday so no time, I'll just throw a coat of nano wax on and call it good for the time being.
michael J.

Tags
poliglow