Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #81

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Raya, the screen is supposed to be on the inside. I imagine this is to prevent damage to the screen when driving on the highway. There is a handle of sorts that you grab to slide the window. The handle is in the middle where the sliding pane meets then non-sliding pane when the window is closed, so the screen is not in the way. Does that make sense? I could post a pic if I were at home.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #82

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jesse, hope I didn't upset you. That was not my intent. And as long as the window(s) don't leak, no harm-no foul. All those screws inside and out, may make it more difficult to pull and replace the butyl (in the future), but in the meantime get out and enjoy your cute trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #83

Maryland
Donna... I'm not upset at all... just want to figure out what windows I have. There is a leak somewhere in my Scamp. I hope I have found it... but if not, I will be pulling the windows and resealing them. I hope to get some tips from other folks who have done it, and to do that, I need to know what windows they are. I suppose they could have been replaced, but all three windows (other than the front, of course) are the same, which is why I assume that they are original... but you never know with a 26 year old camper, right?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #84

My Scamp is 22 years old and has the Hehr sticker on at least one window. The only window that has screws from the outside in, is the door window. And I think that's because it needed to bite into the buffalo board in the door. The clamp ring is more of a clamp thread. Narrow little thing, not anything like the clamp rings on the rest of the windows.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #85

Maryland
Is that an "H" on the window? All three of my windows had an "H" on them. There were a few other stickers (NRA, American flag) so I thought it was something a previous owner had put on.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #86

Maryland
I just went to Hehr's website, and that was in fact their logo... so at least I know the brand.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #87

Mine is a black sticker with goldish printing that says Hehr. It's pretty faded after 22 years but still there. Hehr has been in business for years and years. They make windows for school buses, etc.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #88

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Interesting... The open part of the window is on the door side of the Scamp. I think the window is putnin correctly, but might just be a different model. I say this because 1) the screen is on the inside like it should be and 2) because I notices drain slots on the outside at the bottom of the frame where water can drain out. If it were in upside down, they slots would be at the top, which wouldn't make sense, right? Again, there are screws around the inside frame as well as the rivets on the outside.

When I get home, I will check to see if the is any manufacturer info on the windows. Anybody know what was originally in there?
Mark I'm probable wrong about the upside down part. but as Donna has pointed out it is a bit strange to see the rivets on any of the windows other than the door and to see the slider on the opposite side which would indicate its in backwards. You may want to call Scamp and ask them if that was something they did in the year yours was built.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #89

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
I thought the screen would be on the outside of a slider window Otherwise, wouldn't you have to move the screen to get to the sliding part to open and close it?
Raya, Mark is correct the screens on the Scamps are all on the inside. They are seperate from the window panel and are held in place with springs and do not move when you slide the actual window open.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #90

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Okay, I'm trying to visualize this. If the screen is on the inside, and it does not move, then how do you get a grip on the window panel you are trying to slide open? Wouldn't it then be behind the screen when the window was closed and thus un-grabbable? Does the window somehow slide out from *behind* the screen through a channel that is "muffled" by weatherstripping or something

I keep thinking that the sliding pane would have to close in front of the screen (thereby leaving the screen on the outside) so that you could reach it to slide it back and forth.

I grew up with "double hung" windows (in houses), which are kind of like sliders on their sides, and I always liked the fact that the screens *were* on the outsides, because that way you did not trap whining mosquitoes in them when you closed them.

I'll have to go look around for photos now, or this is going to keep nagging at me. I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing, since I am a jalousie gal.

As you can tell, it drives me nuts when I can't visualize how something works!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #91

Registry
[QUOTE=Raya L.;223294]Okay, I'm trying to visualize this. If the screen is on the inside, and it does not move, then how do you get a grip on the window panel you are trying to slide open? Wouldn't it then be behind the screen when the window was closed and thus un-grabbable? Does the window somehow slide out from *behind* the screen through a channel that is "muffled" by weatherstripping or something
QUOTE]

You are correct the window and the screen sit in separate channels built into the window frame - the screen sits in the inside channel and the window is in the channel behided it. The window has a handle in the middle of its inside edge that is not covered by the screen which allows it to be opened without touching the screen.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #92

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks, Carol. Now I can think about something else
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #93

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
I just wanted to post that RedMax Pro is the best stuff I have used on hardwood floors.

With the extra I had left I did the kitchen floor. All I can say is, WOW!
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #94

Maryland
Interesting... doesn't it say not to use on wood floors?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #95

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Says "not recommended". Still looks great.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #96

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G. View Post
Says "not recommended". Still looks great.
What will you use when you have to take it off, water and stripper can damage your floor. That is why they make a wax just for wood. I would not recommend this type of wax for wood or any floor that water can not be used on. That recommendation is back by 40 years of experience in this field.
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #97

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Well sorry it took awhile to get back with everyone, but the TIRE CLEANER at the car wash "DID" remove the poli-glow from my Trillium now I've got to go back and re-coat it with the Pro-Max...I was wanting to see how the 2 different products stood-up over the long haul but I'm not paying another $75 for more poli-glow...One thing I can do is just refinish from the belly band down because I only removed that area of finish..(If it don't look funny I'm going to try that).....That way I can see for myself which product stands up the best...I'll keep everyone informed as I work on this experiment I figure by next Fall I should know how they compare....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #98

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
So, can RedMax be used on the inside fiberglass benches and cabinets? Has anybody tried?
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #99

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I used it on the overhead shelf that comes in the Trillium's, the bottom of mine were kinda stained really bad looked like where someone had tried to mount different kinds of curtain rods and the screws they used had rusted and stained the fiberglass, I scrubbed and cleaned it real good and put 3 coats on the front and back shelf's and they turned out great.....Don't know why people don't use stainless steel screws on everything that goes in these campers,I know they cost a little more but its "NOT" that much more..The screws that hold the windows and vents in are all standard screws and thats the very first thing I do is strip out all the windows and vents replace any rotten wood with treated and replace "ALL" screws with stainless steel screws or aluminum pop-rivets.....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #100

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
After watching this thread for several weeks, I decided to try the Red Max Pro on my 21' Bigfoot trailer. With four coats, the results are spectacular. The trailer is nearly ten years old and has been stored outdoors until recently. Earlier this year we moved to a farm in Colorado with a large metal barn. That will help the new finish last awhile. We also used the Barkeepers Friend for the cleaning as suggested in this thread. Excellent stuff. I just cleaned our glass stovetop with it, too. Best results ever.

I do have a question. If the Red Max has to someday be removed by a stripper or other harsh cleaner, how will that affect the vinyl decals on the trailer? There are a lot of decals on a Bigfoot and I would hate to destroy them with the wrong chemical.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poliglow