Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 52 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #715

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
036.6 Turbo,
On my Wells Fargo trailer I used automotive wax to polish it up!!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #716

Name: Mike
Trailer: Work And Play
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Can't say that I have ever seen two different versions of ZEP "Wet Look", but I would guess that a higher solids concentrate should cost more if it is, indeed the same stuff, only better?

That said, the positive reports I have been reading about the ZEP product have been applications on light colored molded fiberglass surfaces which is somewhat different in surface finish and texture than the black sheet fiberglass your 5er is constructed of, and that may also make a difference. I also know that the flat surface fiberglass sheeting (especially darker colors?) is more prone to weathering damage, and something we may see after many, many rears, called "shredding" where tiny shreds of fibers start appearing on the surface.

To answer your question, on the three molder fiberglass RV's I have done, 4 coats always did the job.

As most modern RV's now use that same type of sheeting, you might check on some of the conventional built sites as they will have more experience with restoration of that specific material than most of us hereabouts.
Yes, I have checked other sources for ideas, tried a lot of them. Still looking for a better finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
036.6 Turbo,
On my Wells Fargo trailer I used automotive wax to polish it up!!
Thanks, I have used that also. As I said, I will not bore you with all of the sorted details about trying to restore this thing, but I am a hobbiest automotive painter. I used my background in that field, on this unit with limited success.

If I did to a car, what I have done to this, you would have to wear sunglasses when looking the car!

Here is a link to further explain;
New member and Work and Play owner - Forest River Forums

Fast forward to post #35 to see what I have done with the finish, thus far.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #717

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
I have used poly. I loved the look, felt there was no reason to change to Zep. I have a place where I can look down on the top of the " Lil Big Foot ". ( It was parked where I could not see the top ) I was shocked to see that the finish had come off in large patches, leaving large dull places. I was very careful to clean the whole " Egg ". I have Zep from my brother and Poly. left over. From what I have read, put on one or the other alone, -Zep first, and poly second, or the reverse ! I am going to strip what is on " It ", flip a coin, or go with the Zep, because, how can it be worse than the poly ? Later Kenny
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #718

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Stripping the top is problematic as you have to be careful any portion of the stripper runs can move down the side of the trailer taking dirt with it which rebounds with the finish and leaves streaks. I had issues with every option I tried even with lots of rinsing. Resorted to a complete strip and reapplication of Zep. The comment applies to both poly Glo and Zep as I have used both

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #719

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
How are people doing the top of their trailers? Are you using a long handled microfiber brush? The sides I can do, but I am not sure about the top.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #720

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Stripping the top is problematic as you have to be careful any portion of the stripper runs can move down the side of the trailer taking dirt with it which rebounds with the finish and leaves streaks. I had issues with every option I tried even with lots of rinsing. Resorted to a complete strip and reapplication of Zep. The comment applies to both poly Glo and Zep as I have used both

I have a 2002 17' Casita and I want to strip the old polish and wax off the sides and was wandering how you did the sides ? The top being flat no problem but the sides will be harder and what striper did you use ?
Thanks in advance. Jay
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #721

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
How are people doing the top of their trailers? Are you using a long handled microfiber brush? The sides I can do, but I am not sure about the top.

I'm only 5' 2" and I just use a 6-foot step ladder. I'm able to reach all the roof area of my 13' Scamp with a scrub brush to clean with Barkeeper's Friend, and a microfiber dish rag to rinse with TSP/water and then wipe on Red Maxx.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #722

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Herb View Post
I have a 2002 17' Casita and I want to strip the old polish and wax off the sides and was wandering how you did the sides ? The top being flat no problem but the sides will be harder and what striper did you use ?
Thanks in advance. Jay
Jay.
I'm not herb but have done what your wanting to do a couple of times on our 1999.
The best product I've found is acrylic floor stripper. Besides stripping off wax and sealer it will leave the surface very clean, bright and white.
Sam's club has a brand of professional cleaning products that I believe is made by the makers of Zep. Their floor stripper is around $6 a gallon and you dilute it. You'll need rubber gloves, eye protection and green scratch pads. Rinse and keep the surface wet as you go or the finish will re harden.
You'll be surprised how bright and white your trailer will be

Joe
Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #723

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
The Zep stripper works very well , should be in the same area as the Zep
Also found the purple cleaner found at auto stores works, was trying to clean some stubborn dirt and accidentally removed the finish and along with the run taking off more, I had to redo a whole side to make it look right

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #724

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thank You for all the good info, I saved it and hope to get started next week. Jay
Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #725

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Beautiful finish! I cannot boast the same. But, I did apply some elbow grease with a can of Mother's Calif orniaGold Brazillian Carnauba Cleaner Wax (sheesh long title) and managed to come up with a healthy looking shine beginning to take place. I think the roof has two coats now, the rest below has three.

I thought the pic uploaded but did not. I'll go figure that out now!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #726

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
My wax job!

Hope it uploaded this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Shiny Trillium Sept 2014.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #727

Name: Elisabeth
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Texas
Registry
Pretty!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #728

Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post

I use a cotton floor mop. Works well for me.

Dick

Tags
poliglow