Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 56 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #771
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think you are misreading the situation. Most of those responding might be using floor wax. Might ask how many wax their kitchen floor with car wax.
I use 3M Marine wax and polish products. Others use other brand waxes intended for fiberglass.
Funny thing Glen while I would never recommend car wax for your floor Zep which I use on my fg I inenvertanly spilled on my allure floor and I decided to do the whole floor and it made the floor beautiful ,go figure! it works great on floors also

Old 04-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #772

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Did you read the instructions that come with Allure?
"Do NOT wax".

Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #773
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Did you read the instructions that come with Allure?
"Do NOT wax".
Zep has no wax in it ,also works great on my dash works way better than armourall
Old 04-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #774

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Hope you don't break a leg. Buddy of mine applied Armorall to the vinyl bucket seats in his van. Took a corner too fast and ended up in the aisle between the driver and passenger seats.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #775
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Hope you don't break a leg. Buddy of mine applied Armorall to the vinyl bucket seats in his van. Took a corner too fast and ended up in the aisle between the driver and passenger seats.
Seats eh ! gives me another idea if only I had leather seats in the ridgeline.maybe the wife will let me try Zep on the new leather sofa.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #776

Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Ok, ya got me! After reading about half of this thread I decided to do the CT. It's pretty chalky, and appears whitish instead of the tan that it should be.
I think I've washed it 6 times in the last week.
1- pressure wash
2- bleach and Dawn
3- liquid BKF with a microfiber
4- Dawn
5- dry BKF with white Scotchbrite
6- laundry detergent and Purple Power.

I have a box of TSP, I'll hit it with that, too! It looks pretty nice, I just have to find the right day with low wind and receding pollen to apply the Zep goody.

Was able to reach the roof pretty well in quarters using my Go-rilla ladder set up like so. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462235649.958371.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	94755

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #777
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Ok, ya got me! After reading about half of this thread I decided to do the CT. It's pretty chalky, and appears whitish instead of the tan that it should be.
I think I've washed it 6 times in the last week.
1- pressure wash
2- bleach and Dawn
3- liquid BKF with a microfiber
4- Dawn
5- dry BKF with white Scotchbrite
6- laundry detergent and Purple Power.

I have a box of TSP, I'll hit it with that, too! It looks pretty nice, I just have to find the right day with low wind and receding pollen to apply the Zep goody.

Was able to reach the roof pretty well in quarters using my Go-rilla ladder set up like so. Attachment 94755

Should return the uhaul to its former glory glen just remember you are not waxing but layering thin even coats until your satisfied with the finish.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #778

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Just a bit of caution if you use the TSP - it can leave a residue on some surfaces, so you may want to rinse well. Certainly don't want anything to go wrong for you with all your hard prep work you've done!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #779

Georgia
Well, i didn't wash it any further. It looked pretty clean and even, so I just blew it off with compressed air then tacked it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462324100.650986.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	94789

After two coats, it's beginning to even out. Looks nice!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1462324184.056620.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	94790

Old 05-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #780

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
Well, i didn't wash it any further. It looked pretty clean and even, so I just blew it off with compressed air then tacked it.
Beautiful job
But get that rusty old propane tank out of there

Joe
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #781

Georgia
That tank is the original U-Haul one, still has propane in it! That's the only reason I've kept it with the camper.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #782

Name: Daren
Trailer: 1985 19' Bigfoot tandem axle
Alberta
So I have read all through this longggg thread ha, and am very interested in doing this to my trailer but suspect I would need to deal with some crack fixes at first. I started a thread about cracks that is similar to this post but as my end goal is to get the girl shiny and protected I felt this would be a great place to get info as well.

We have a 1985 19' bigfoot dual axle. The trailer overall has been kept extremely well but the exterior has seen many years of the elements. It is extremely dull and almost sort of chalky. The decals are all dull and cracked in many places. The back of the trailer seems the worst as the back was south facing for most of it's life. The back also has a few very fine cracks. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice from those far more experienced than I. I will post some pictures in the hopes that it will help.

I plan to remove the decals in time and replace with some new ones. If the crack repair is difficult to hide I will look at getting the decals made so that they cover the cracked area as this is a possibility. I did cut and paste a ton of info from this thread into a document that I can follow when I use the zep so I am aware that I would want to decal the trailer before applying the finish

Here are my questions:

1. Any idea what kind of fiberglass cracking I am dealing with here? It is extremely fine and I need to use my fingernail to detect it. Overall it seems strong in the crack areas and my limited guess would be that it does not go right through the fiberglass. Possibly the darker decal in this area attracted more heat causing the cracking?

2. What would be a recommended process to fix this cracking and touch up these areas?

3. There are a few areas that were touched up in the past. A spray can paint was used and is not the greatest match. What advice for removing the old touch up paint and what advice to find a good match?

4. Is it likely that I have no gel coat left on the trailer (I suspect this is the case) I assume getting some sort of shine coating on it, zep floor or even wax will help protect the exterior from further damage. Would I be right in that assumption?

5. The pained brown window trim and brown rubber around the windows is also quite dull so any advice on bringing those back to life would be appreciated.

6. I would like to remove the old caulk from the windows and roof protrusions but am not sure what kind of caulk sealant is best to use with fiberglass? Also would I damage the roof of the trailer if I climb up on it to do the work? (I am 6'4" 215lbs so possibly I would want the 5'4" 115lb wife to take on the roof work?)

7. Should the caulk around the window's and vents be done before or after the zep coating?

I really appreciate any help on this,
thanks
Daren
Attached Thumbnails
P1010630.jpg   P1010632.jpg  

P1010633.jpg   P1010637.jpg  

Old 06-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #783

Name: Daren
Trailer: 1985 19' Bigfoot tandem axle
Alberta
A couple more pic's

By the way there are some incredibly beautiful show stopping rigs on here and I am by no means wishing to keep up with the Jonse's on this one, I don't think our trailer could. My main goal is to protect the trailer for future wilderness adventures for my wife, two small children and I. If it looks a bit prettier well that's an added bonus.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010634.jpg   P1010635.jpg  

Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #784

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
The small cracks as far as I can tell are more like stress cracks in the gel coat and are nothing to be concerned with. But that's just as I see them.

I use a floor acrylic finish from Sam's club. $25 for 2.5 gallons (I use it on my concrete basement and garage floors too).

I've used ZEP, Poly-Glo and Sam's product and they all seem to be the same. ZEP and Sam's have more solids than Poly-Glo also.

Last spring I stripped all the floor finish off and applied new.
Last week I washed all it with Dawn and was surprised how nice it still looked after a year I thought I would have to apply another coat but I didn't. So I got adventuresome and used a car polish, just a polish no wax, and a 7" wool pad buffer that made the floor finish really shine then used a Carnoba paste wax.

Now it not only shines like new but feels like new too

I took a baffle Casita used for the refrigerator out of a fiberglass cut out and had Sherwin Williams match it in an oil based enamle and use that after I make repairs.

Joe

Tags
poliglow