Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Page 20 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #381

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
Sorry, it took that long to load the pics.
I was just teasing you!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #382

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
New York
Registry
Well I did our scamp yesterday. First the good wash and scrub with BKF the 3 coats of Zeps. Wow. Our 16 year old camper looks brand new. I'll try and post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1828977513.jpg   image-449273419.jpg  

image-1274739046.jpg  
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #383

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
New York
Registry
Our first pic is just after the scrub. Then next two are when 3 coats of Zeps was done.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #384

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Our first pic is just after the scrub. Then next two are when 3 coats of Zeps was done.
Just awesome! I was going to do our Casita this weekend, but it's been raining might try to sneak it in still.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #385

Michigan
How dry should your rig be before applying? Should I wail a day or so after cleaning?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #386

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Should I wail a day or so after cleaning?
No need to cry about it. It should be dry enough in a hour or so.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #387

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G.

No need to cry about it. It should be dry enough in a hour or so.
Darn iPad.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Darn iPad.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #389

Michigan
Done! Love it, the 1st two pictures are before, and then the next two are after. Not the best pictures. I'll get better ones when I get done detailing it.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2618719957.jpg   image-691992358.jpg  

image-1643637643.jpg   image-2659432319.jpg  

Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #390

Looks great.

I love your tow vehicle. Do you get any sway at highway speeds?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #391

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
Probably exceeds the manufacturers recommended tow capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Looks great.

DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #392

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G.
Looks great.

Don't even know its back there!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #393

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTexas View Post
Probably exceeds the manufacturers recommended tow capacity.
Its a European Tractor so it has unlimited tow capacity at any speed!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #394

Michigan
Oh, and if I ended up with any Red Max on,any of my windows how should I take it off? Ammonia/water
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #395

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Razor and widow cleaner. Make sure to spray the window first or you could damage the glass. Window cleaners do this all the time. Use this method only on glass windows
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #396

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Leave the widow out of it! But yeah, if glass windows a razor blade and glass cleaner containing ammonia should work. If not check back.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #397

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Of course if you were using a Mac, you wouldn't have windoze.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #398

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You just wipe it on and let it dry, it does not take much, 2 coats used about 8 oz so a gallon will give you 16 coats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in SoCal View Post
Restoring the finish of an older RV using Red Max Pro:

Materials:
-Red Max Pro (Step 3) Low Maintenance Floor Finish (available at Lowes)
-Bar Keeper’s Friend (powdered)
-TSP (powdered)
-3M scrubbies (white)
-White Microfiber rags
-Latex gloves

Preparing the surface is the most important part, since anything left on the surface will be sealed under the Red Max Pro acrylic coating. Start by washing your RV as you normally would, making sure to include the roof, rinsing well from the top down.

Now, you want to remove any and all stains, soiling, oxidation, and chalkiness from the surface of the RV. Dip a white 3M scrubbie into water and then sprinkle Bar Keeper’s Friend on it. Scrub the surface of the RV, rinsing the scrubbie and re-applying the BKF often. Do small areas at a time, rinsing well with water and a sponge as you go. I used a "flow-thru" brush with a hose to rinse the BKF thoroughly as I went.

The next step is to make sure that there is absolutely no remaining wax on the surface, since wax can cause the Red Max to peel. Mix up a bucket of TSP (1/2 cup) in water (2 gal), and wash the entire RV. You can use a carwash brush, a sponge, a pressure washer…anything you would normally use. Rinse well, and let it dry completely. You should be left with a clean and smooth (although dull) surface. Congrats, the prep-work is now complete!

Now for the easy part. Pour some Red Max Pro (RMP) into a shallow container (a pie pan works well). Fold a microfiber rag to about hand-sized, dip into the RMP (trust me, use gloves!), and squeeze out the excess. How much/how wet? You want it more than damp, but less than dripping. Now simply wipe down the surface of the RV with the wet rag. Don’t try to over-apply; just wet the surface (imagine wiping a layer of dust off with a wet rag). It really doesn’t matter whether you wipe horizontally, vertically, or in circles; RMP is very thin/watery and you are just trying to “wet” the surface. Work your way all the way around the RV. RMP will dry quickly; before you’ve gone all the way around, it will be dry and you can immediately start on the next coat.

That first coat will likely look really bad; streaky, shiny in some places, dull in others…don’t panic. Each additional coat will even it out and start to build up a deep layer of shine. By coat 3, you will be grinning ear to ear. And coat 4 (or 5) will be the icing on the cake. Not only will your RV shine like it hasn’t shined in years, it will be a deeper color as well. Even old. faded, cracked graphics will have a new lease on life! All for about $30 total!

Things (I learned) to keep in mind:

-Don’t use colored microfiber rags unless they have been laundered, as the color may bleed.

-Be careful around window frames, locks, latches, etc., as the RMP is very watery and will have a tendency to gather and cause runs. Watch for runs and give them a quick wipe before they start to “set up”.

-Some older, deteriorated graphics may “bleed” color onto the rag. If you noticed any bleeding during the BKF or TSP stage, then do a quick single coat of RMP across the graphics first, which will seal them up. Then go ahead and apply the RMP as per the tutorial.

-After each coat, go around and open/operate all hatches, locks, catches, etc. The acrylic (RMP) coating can sort of “glue” them closed.

-You can also do the window frames and other painted metal areas; in fact, I did my entire Class C cab since, like the rest of my RV, it was also very faded and dull. Came out fantastic!

Part 2: Maintaining the Red Max Pro finish:

Now that your RV looks like it has a new, clear coated paint job, you’ll want to maintain that new finish as long as possible, right? Well, the good news is that it is extremely easy to do so.

Most commonly used car wash soaps will not harm the Red Max Pro finish, so you can wash your RV as you always have. In fact, you’ll probably find that it comes clean much easier than before, as dirt, bugs, and debris seems to “float” right off quite easily. You do want to avoid anything with Ammonia in it, such as some window cleaners, as ammonia will eat into the Red Max Pro (like floor stripper). Waxing is not needed, and in fact I recommend against it, as wax may interfere with “touch-up” coats of Red Max Pro down the road.

After 6 months to a year, if the finish starts to lose it’s shine, just give the RV a good wash job, let dry completely, and then give it a touch-up coat or two of RMP, wiping it on just as you did originally.
These are great instructions and worth repeating - and wish I saw them first.
I got a little too clever and thought foam paint brushes would be the ticket. Ugh, the first coat dripped and ran all over. Then I did the final coats with a microfiber cloth using a circular motion - that's the way to go.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #399

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I did three coats a yr. ago in early June. Nothing but carwashes since and not many of those. I thought about a TSP wash and an additional coat this spring but have decided to wait until after an eastern states egg rallly we're attending in late June because "Time will tell." I've said this before (got it from Randy B. the original R M Pro) and I'll say it again: I believe the official Polyglo chamois applicator is worth the price even tho not used with Polyglo. If you go that route, you also need a paint roller pan, a painter's extension pole or handle, and a smaller chamois (comes with the P. applicator) or a microfiber rag for finer details around vents and windows. Nice wide swaths, folks, and faster.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #400

Michigan
I did one coat on my close awning. Anybody try this? Today I went out to the barn and it didn't look so great on there. So I'm wondering if I should give it another coat or just remove it for there?

Tags
poliglow